Cyber Wings

okienav

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Smoke_Jaguar4

We'll see how long this lasts. SECAF Donley just pulled the plug on the MX reorganization; my money's on Cyberspace getting the boot next (and I'm a comm guy!)

If cyberspace does stick around, I was hoping the badge would be another over-the-pocket design like the reinstated Missileer badge. Almost everyone going into cyberspace already has one or two AFSCs, it would be nice to wear all three badges. On this design, somebody got a little too crazy with the PowerPoints... this mash-up makes spwings look good. :vomit:

I've always thought the USAF utility uniform should be a simplified version of the flight suit. Not because we're wannabe pilots, but because it would be a much more useful uniform for sitting 12-hour watches in the Network Operations Center or fixing aircraft on the flightline. For anyone going outside the wire or spending quality time with the Army, give them ACUs.

my $0.02

Edited by Smoke_Jaguar4

I've always thought the USAF utility uniform should be a simplified version of the flight suit. Not because we're wannabe pilots, but because it would be a much more useful uniform for sitting 12-hour watches in the Network Operations Center or fixing aircraft on the flightline. For anyone going outside the wire or spending quality time with the Army, give them ACUs.

my $0.02

Why would the flight suit be better for sitting watch? When I have to sit at a desk all afternoon it would be nice to take the BDU top off and cool down a little. I had a missile dude try and tell me the flight suit was perfect for their job sitting in the silo. I've never been in a silo or sat watch for 12 hours but I don't unerstand that argument. The flight suit is comfortable, but there's nothing utility about it, IMO

We'll see how long this lasts. SECAF Donley just pulled the plug on the MX reorganization; my money's on Cyberspace getting the boot next (and I'm a comm guy!)

That's a bet you are gonna lose... :nob:

Cheers! M2

Why would the flight suit be better for sitting watch? When I have to sit at a desk all afternoon it would be nice to take the BDU top off and cool down a little. I had a missile dude try and tell me the flight suit was perfect for their job sitting in the silo. I've never been in a silo or sat watch for 12 hours but I don't unerstand that argument. The flight suit is comfortable, but there's nothing utility about it, IMO

I preferred BDUs as my uniform of choice when given one.

Uniform once the LCC blast door is closed is sweats and, in my case moose, slippers. Sponge Bob versions would probably work just fine today.

I don't understand why new AF badges have to "me too" wings. Spwings, now these. If anything, making other badges look like wings degrades their significance. If you're a space and missile guy, having the pocket rocket sets you apart, Spwings makes it seem like you're a wannabe which is hardly true.

I'll also add that if I was going to sit around in an office (essentially) all day the last "utility" uniform I'd want is a flight suit. I'd want a two piece uniform that was light weight and soft. I'm thinking a BDU type uniform made of something like a dacron/cotton blend, no boot blousing though so you could wear a low cut boot.

Off Topic, but while you are on the topic of missile dudes, I recently had a missile dude tell me that he had over 300 "combat missions" under his belt. When I asked, oh yes, you would be correct, he meant that he had sat over 300 alerts. YGBFSM.

Anyway, I say we should all change to the Buzz Lightyear wings.

Current plans call for two new officer AFSCs: a 17D cyberspace warfare operator, which will require the phase out of the 33S (communications-computer) specialty; and a 12W electronic warfare officer, which will be a subset of today's 12X combat systems officer community.

So does that mean EWOs (if chosen to go to AFCYBER) will have to sport the spiffy new cyber wings instead of their NAV wings? Maybe some spiffy red cyber wings?

So does that mean EWOs (if chosen to go to AFCYBER) will have to sport the spiffy new cyber wings instead of their NAV wings? Maybe some spiffy red cyber wings?

"THEY" will probably make 17D cyberspace warfare operators RATED and give them flight pay

Guest Smoke_Jaguar4

Let's compare:

Pilot:

web_afg_021203_090.jpg

Spwings:

AFG-060320-005.jpg

Cyberspace:

080701-F-0000P-104.jpg

The problem with the cyberwings is it's suffers from classic 'design by committee'. It's trying to incorporate too many things; there's just a pile-on of stuff which makes it look incoherent.

"THEY" will probably make 17D cyberspace warfare operators RATED and give them flight pay

CHA-CHING!!!

Back in 2000 there was a special one time bonus sign-up to retain comm and some engineering officers. $10K/year for four years; it would show up in my LES as Submariner Pay!

Guest careyd

I bet LeMay rolled over in his grave from the patch and just soiled himself after this...

So if an EWO got selected for this, would it be possible for him to get back into a plane after a single tour or what?

Are the EC-130s slated for the Cyber command?

What about the aircrew on those? Will all be sporting dual wings baby!

So if an EWO got selected for this, would it be possible for him to get back into a plane after a single tour or what?

From the article:

1B4X2 -- electronic warfare operations: They will integrate and sustain operations across the electromagnetic spectrum and will perform search, intercept, ID and location of sources for threat recognition and implement electronic protect and attack measures. (Operators will retrain at the three- to five-year point.)

looks like they will be training their own enlisted EWO-types.

It's rather funny though, the AFSCs are really really specific...with all the "do more with less" attitude, I'm rather surprised it's got this far.

Guest wildblue
Disagree. The problem with cyberwings is that they exist.

haha...thanks, that gave me a good laugh.

2. You may not have sat a 12 hr watch, but I bet you've sat in the flightroom for a 12 hr day when it was too shitty wx to fly. The flightsuit is comfortable, but has no "use" when you're sitting on your ass reading books, watching computer screens, etc. People who think everyone should wear flightsuits are just idiots.

I recently had a missile dude tell me that he had over 300 "combat missions" under his belt. When I asked, oh yes, you would be correct, he meant that he had sat over 300 alerts. YGBFSM.

I hope you kicked him right in the nuts.

Off Topic, but while you are on the topic of missile dudes, I recently had a missile dude tell me that he had over 300 "combat missions" under his belt. When I asked, oh yes, you would be correct, he meant that he had sat over 300 alerts. YGBFSM.

Anyway, I say we should all change to the Buzz Lightyear wings.

YGBSM. :rainbow: . I swear, missile dudes are a bunch of weird motherf!ckers. Look, we have wings too and wear flight suits. :rainbow::rainbow::rainbow: