Air Liason Officer

If you end up flying heavies can you still do an ALO tour or would it have to be an AMLO tour? I talked to some Colonel the other day who said ALOs are in huge demand and probably will be for a long time to come... Just curious. Thanks.

I've known airlift guys who've been ALOs but the last one I met was pre 9/11. I'm pretty sure it's completely restricted it to fighter/bomber guys.

We had the first ABM guy in squadron, he was an ALO but he wasn't TAC qual'ed. I can't remember if it was ACC or PACAF (think it was the latter) that said he couldn't be a JTAC. Far as I could tell the intent was to have JSTARS kind of expertise available to the Army. He spent most of the assignment trying to figure out why he was there, nothing against him it just wasn't clear.

• 2 weeks later...
To the best of my knowledge, ABMs can be ALOs as well. A very broad description would be "any AF flyer with a working knowledge of weapons employment." That's just the Fogo definition though.

ABMs can be ALOs, we sent a Capt down to Texas about a year ago.

• 1 year later...

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2009/05/..._career_050409/

Push for ALO career field gets new vigor

Army, Air Force chiefs of staff agree to move forward

By Michael Hoffman - Staff writer

Posted : Monday May 4, 2009 6:15:00 EDT

The airmen who call in airstrikes that save U.S. lives and kill al-Qaida operatives are being supported by the military’s top leaders in their push for an officer career field to call their own.

Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Norton Schwartz and Army Chief of Staff Gen. George Casey both agree the services should move forward with establishing a joint career field for air liaison officers, said Lt. Col. Lee Spechler, the joint fires branch chief and one of the career field’s architects.

Also behind the proposal, Spechler said, is Lt. Gen. Daniel J. Darnell, deputy chief of staff for air, space and information operations, plans and requirements.

Currently, most active-duty ALOs are pilots who do two-year tours performing two roles — leading the tactical air control party enlistees who direct airstrikes and working with both the Air Force and the Army to orchestrate airstrikes.

Emerging needs for pilots in jobs outside the cockpit, such as operating unmanned aerial vehicles, have put a strain on the pilot force and are forcing service leaders to fill nonflying duties — such as ALO positions — with nonrated officers.

TACP leaders have argued for years that they, too, need an ALO career field to establish continuity and to build expertise in providing close-air support, said Chief Master Sgt. David Devine, the TACP career field manager.

A decade ago, the Air Force made a similar change when it created the combat rescue officer career field to lead what had been an all-enlisted pararescuemen community.

Spechler wants 70 percent of the Air Force’s ALOs positions to be career ALOs and 30 percent to be pilots. He estimated it might take more than a decade to fill the career ALOs.

Today, the Air Force has 291 ALOs; that number will grow to 370 by 2012, Spechler said. The service hopes to train at least three new ALOs a month starting as soon as spring 2010, Devine said.

The Air Force takes its first step toward that goal this summer when 20 airmen beta test a training course designed by ALO and TACP leaders.

The airmen will be divided into two groups of 10. Making up the first group are five enlisted TACPs and five officers who served as TACPs before they commissioned and moved into a different career field. The second group hasn’t been selected, but Air Force officials want airmen who don’t have a TACP background. Applications from all nonrated officers are still being accepted for the second group, Devine said.

The Air Force wouldn’t discuss the details of the training course, such as how many weeks it will run or when each group will start.

Testing candidate skills

Spechler will outline the specifics later this month at the Air Force operations conference, but Devine and Spechler said officers will have to complete a one-week screening course that tests their mental and physical acumen for the job.

“We are looking to weed out those that are probably not cut out for this career field and to make sure, as they select this career field, that it was the right decision for them,” Spechler said.

The candidates then must complete TACP technical school at Hurlburt Field, Fla., followed by additional Army and Air Force advanced training that will depend on their assignment. In all, the training will last nine to 10 months, Spechler said.

Most of those who complete the training will be second lieutenants. Today, active-duty ALOs are typically captains and majors.

Will Army respect them?

Spechler acknowledged Air Force officials have heard concerns that the Army won’t respect a nonrated lieutenant ALO.

“There are those that say the Army is going to chew them up and spit them out, but I think the Army is going to see a huge benefit from this in that the Air Force is now giving them an officer for a career field and a mission area that is dedicated to their direct support,” he said. “When they view it in that matter, they will give it the benefit of the doubt and provide support rather than work against it.”

Research, however, shows those fears might be overstated. Maj. Mark Wisher, a former ALO who did a report on the issue, polled 299 Army and Air Force members and found that nearly two-thirds believe career ALOs would benefit the Army.

What Air Force leaders might really be worried about is losing the air liaison position to the Army if it doesn’t have pilots fill the billets, said Charlie Heidal, a retired master sergeant who served 22 years as a TACP.

“There is a concern in the ranks that this is the first chance the Army gets to make a grab for the job, but I don’t think it will happen because the Air Force owns too much of the close-air support role,” said Heidal, who also runs the Web site ROMAD Locator at www.romad.com, a popular site for TACPs.

Heidal described the response to an ALO career field inside the TACP community as overwhelmingly positive and estimated he has received hundred of e-mails from nonrated officers and officer candidates interested in becoming ALOs.

“I can’t even count the number of times that I’ve had a young trooper who is going through [officer candidate school] or an officer who is a finance dweeb who e-mails me and wants to be a TACP guy,” he said. “Before, I had to say: ‘Sucks to be you.’ Now I have something I can tell them about.”

Just got a brief from our Det CC. They're accepting apps from 10 active guys, 5 ROTC, 5 academy. Of the 20, 15 make the cut into a new pipeline. More info to follow.

My app is already in.... long shot, but what the hell? I've grown up working with these guys in an operational capacity (and on the intranets, won't elaborate right now) to know just how crucial this link can be for the pointy spear types.

Edit- spelling.

Edited by Stretch

Guest tenguFlyer

Anyone going to do it? My cadre notified me today that people who got rated slots are being asked to jump into this career field. (Air Liason Officer) It has its own AFSC now.

It seems hard for me to believe that the AF is going to get people who worked so hard for these rated slots to do a job where their boots are on the ground; unless maybe its a temporary tour followed by a full ride to UPT or something.

Guest Krabs

I have a lack of SA on the pipeline into the career field so can someone tell me if ABMs can transition into ALOs?

KRABS,

I know many ABMs rated/non-rated that are ALOs(the non-rated dudes are Guard guys and are full time ALOs and would assume with this new non-rated ALO career field they would transfer into it). Career wise for an ABM an ALO tour is a good thing and I can't think of any ABM who has been forced into it(at least not the ALOs I know). I can tell you that not all ALO jobs are the same and I have done my research on what rolls I would be filling depending on unit/assignment. An ALO on this board could provide you with much more insight but I just wanted to share my 2 cents and BTW all the ABM ALOs that I know are solid guys.

Good luck!

Edited by sigmanugary

Guest Krabs
ABM trainees and Electrical/Computer Engineers are NOT eligible. Additionally, if you've EAD'ed already by any chance, you're out of luck as a ROTC guy.

But it doesn't restrict pilot or nav from applying.

Did you mean ABMs in general or just trainees? Obviously I can't go ALO during training which will be soon, 27 June, since I just commissioned. I EAD 13 May, so once again in my "career" I'm an out-of-luck ROTC guy. I wish I would have known something about the ALO out of ROTC deal...no communication ever came my way about it. My fault for not asking I suppose since I had heard of the job before. Thanks for the info Stretch.

KRABS,

I know many ABMs rated/non-rated that are ALOs (the non-rated dudes are Guard guys and are full time ALOs and would assume with this new non-rated ALO career field they would transfer into it). Career wise for an ABM an ALO tour is a good thing and I can't think of any ABM who has been forced into it(at least not the ALOs I know). I can tell you that not all ALO jobs are the same and I have done my research on what rolls I would be filling depending on unit/assignment. An ALO on this board could provide you with much more insight but I just wanted to share my 2 cents and BTW all the ABM ALOs that I know are solid guys.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! It leads to a follow on question though...you mentioned ABMs doing tours as ALOs, but is there a possibility of a permanent transfer to the job? Any info is appreciated and thanks again.

Cheers, guys. :beer:

Did you mean ABMs in general or just trainees? Obviously I can't go ALO during training which will be soon, 27 June, since I just commissioned. I EAD 13 May, so once again in my "career" I'm an out-of-luck ROTC guy. I wish I would have known something about the ALO out of ROTC deal...no communication ever came my way about it. My fault for not asking I suppose since I had heard of the job before. Thanks for the info Stretch.

Thanks for the reply! It leads to a follow on question though...you mentioned ABMs doing tours as ALOs, but is there a possibility of a permanent transfer to the job? Any info is appreciated and thanks again.

Cheers, guys. :beer:

The "ABM trainees" is verbatum out of the letter I was forwarded by the cadre. The tasking just came down a couple of days ago, so really, really short notice. Suspense for applications is 18 May.

For ABMs as it stands right now, you can go after you complete your first assingment post Tyndall. They want you to start your rated development and to do that, you need to start your flying gates. They may ask for more volunteers, much like the test UAV class example; but they only took 1 ABM in that case. ABM rated managment needs bodies, so if you're just getting classified as an ABM you'll have to wait awhile. That being said, once you've completed your IQT/MQT in which ever jet, let your boss know what you want to do and make sure your developmental plan (ADP) reflects (realistically) what you want to do.

Jonesy

Sorry, missed the request for info there. Here's the relevant portion of the letter:

"HQ AFROTC/RRFP will perform a selection board using a numerical order of merit. The top five cadets from the board will be nominated to participate in the beta test. All five nominees will attend the Air Liaison Officer Screening Course (ALOSC), along with five nominees from USAFA, and five active duty nominees, between 20-24 Jul 09. Nominees attending ALOSC will be in TDY status. The location is TBD.

As an example: 2d Lt Doe is currently classified as a maintenance officer with an assignment to Minot AFB, ND. If selected as a beta test nominee by AFROTC, his orders will be changed to maintenance officer to Hurlburt Field with a TDY enroute to ALOSC (location TBD). If selected for ALOSC, 2d Lt Doe will be reclassified to a TBD AFSC for C-ALO

Student. If not selected, his EAD orders will be amended to maintenance officer at Minot (as originally classified).

4. The top 10 of the 15 nominees who attend ALOSC (assuming 10 meet minimal qualifications) will be selected for 9-10 months of specialized training at the Air Liaison Officer Basic Course (ALOBC) at Hurlburt Field, FL. Selectees will PCS to Hurlburt for ALOBC for class dates starting 4 Aug 09 or 8 Sep 09. Selectees who fail to complete ALOBC will be reclassified by AFPC/DPSIP based on needs of the Air Force.

5. At the conclusion of all formal training courses, new C-ALOs (13L AFSC) will be assigned to an operational Air Support Operations Squadron at various US Army and USAF bases worldwide. IF THIS BETA TEST IS TERMINATED OR THE OFFICER IS ELIMINATED, THE OFFICER WILL BE REASSIGNED BY HQ AFPC IAW CURRENT ASSIGNMENT GUIDANCE.

6. Eligibility criteria are as follows:

a. Must be a volunteer

b. Must be currently classified to a line of the AF specialty. Those classified as an Air Battle Manager Trainee or Electrical/Computer Engineer are ineligible for this class.

c. AFROTC cadets cannot have already entered on EAD, but must be available to enter on EAD prior to attending ALOSC enroute to a PCS to Hurlburt Field, FL. AFPC/DPSIP will cancel and reset EAD dates for AFROTC nominees as needed as soon as they are identified.

d. Male only.

e. Must be able to obtain and immediately apply for a Top Secret clearance, if not already accomplished.

f. Must be a volunteer for hazardous duty (Atch 2).

g. While not a specific criteria, it is highly recommended that each potential applicant review the physical fitness requirements for the TACP career field listed in attachment 3 before applying.

7. Detachment commanders must forward nominations and required paperwork (ALO Candidate Summary Sheet (Atch 4) and completed Hazardous Duty Volunteer Letter (Atch 5) to {contact} NLT 18 May 09. AFROTC/RRFP will obtain the most recent PFA score and CGPA from WINGS for the selection process. After 18 May, RRFP will notify dets of selected cadets and forward paperwork on to AFPC."

That's the info. I'll PM the contact information if your det doesn't have it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Alphabet soup

I just got this email today.

"AFPC is looking for highly motivated AD officers interested in becoming a

13LX, Non-Rated Career-Air Liaison Officer. Training will begin on either 4

Aug or 8 Sep at Hurlburt Field, FL.

Individuals must meet the below criteria:

A. LINE OFFICERS IN NON-RATED AND OTHER SUPPORT AFSCS ONLY.

B. MALE ONLY.

C. RANK: 2LT, 1LT OR CAPTAIN.

D. LESS THAN 8 YEARS OF TOTAL ACTIVE FEDERAL COMMISSIONED SERVICE

(TAFCS) AS OF 4 AUG 09.

E. ONE YEAR TIME ON STATION (TOS) BY 31 JUL 09.

F. BE A VOLUNTEER FOR HAZARDOUS DUTY.

G. RELEASE FROM YOUR CURRENT AFPC ASSIGNMENTS TEAM."

Does anyone know much about this new AFSC. I've read about it in the Air Force times, but I was curious if anyone had any experience in it.

thanks

Guest Cap-10

It's a new AFSC, but not a new job.

Lots of people, including some on this board have been ALO / BALO's.

The only difference is that they are looking for dudes to be an ALO full time, instead of being a pilot/wso and just being an ALO for one 3yr tour as you check the AFLA square.

Cheers,

Cap-10 :flag_waving:

Good way to get in the fight as a non-rated officer.

I was a BALO from 95-99, and I bitched about it just about the entire time. Only later did I realize, as a then-CAS and now-helo guy, it was one of the most valuable learning experiences of my career.

I can foresee a little of the upcoming discussion on this topic, so a couple of preemptive shots, if you'll indulge me:

One thing the Terminal Air Control career field has always lacked is continuity on the O side, since all but a few guys would do their part time BALO gig or their ALO alpha tour and then hit the road with tires squealing and never look back. The old school philosophy was always that an ALO that wasn't a FAR'd guy wouldn't be able to do the job - of course, that was proved wrong over a decade ago when they starting putting B-52 radar navs through AGOS and found out that one motivated radar nav is worth ten pissed-off F-15 guys who would rather be anywhere other than hanging out in the back of an M-113.

The same old school now bitches about the idea of having non-rated guys controlling air - but, just a reminder - every single ETAC/JTAC out there is non rated too. Guys that work with them know - most of them kick ass at it. The college guy ought to be able to figure it out too with the proper spin-up.

Just my $.02, worth exactly what you paid for it. I think the AFSC is years overdue.

Edited by 60 driver

Guest Alarm Red

Everything else being equal, the personality of any given pilot (and even more an Eagle pilot) is infinitely more conducive to good Army relations and good leadership over a mob of rowdy TACPs. Now before anyone launches into a "we're important too" campaign, I'm speaking in generalities. Eagle pilots are generally much more forward than your average weapons director. That's hugely important.

You have to understand a few things - the Army (specifically your peers as an ALO - FSO, S2, S3 - but also unit leadership) responds to directness and assertiveness. If they sense any wavering or weakness - and they will be looking for it in the random new USAF guy - they will walk all over you and back and your credibility is shitcanned. Furthermore, TACPs will be looking at you from day one and deciding if you're the guy who's going to go to bat for them for two years, or if you'll be reinventing their wheel for the next two years (the latter being quite common). They themselves will test this through frequent buffoonery both on and off duty.

As for CAS knowledge - few ALOs end up JTAC qualified, of those the minority will control in combat. Aside from that your knowledge needs to extend to fires and effects - who brings what to the fight and how can it best serve ground commander's intent. The core knowledge isn't anything cosmic and certainly not something that can't be learned in a few months. I maintain the 'no CAS experience' argument against Eagle drivers is flimsy at best. Maintaining rapport with the Army, looking out for your airmen in a deployed environment, and understanding fires and effects are the core skills. In my personal experience Eagle pilots do this better than ABMs. Your mileage may vary.

Alarm Red speaks the truth.

Me: Viper Pilot, ALO, JTAC

I've never worked with an ABM but I have worked with Eagle fags alongside Buff radar navs, B-1 WSOs, and all the other dudes who ride downstairs. I think Alarm Red's generality about pilot stereotypes and attitudes is fairly accurate. Obviously there are people in all career fields with an aggressive attitude. Your mileage may vary. What he's absolutely correct about is the fact that the Army staff will walk all over you if you let them. And TACPs recognize the difference between career fields and automatically respect fighter pilots more. Right off the bat they respect A-10 dudes, then F-15E/F-16, then F-15 guys. Then probably F-15E WSOs followed by everyone else. They know all the stereotypes as well as you do.

I've never worked with an ABM but I have worked with Eagle fags alongside Buff radar navs, B-1 WSOs, and all the other dudes who ride downstairs. I think Alarm Red's generality about pilot stereotypes and attitudes is fairly accurate. Obviously there are people in all career fields with an aggressive attitude. Your mileage may vary. What he's absolutely correct about is the fact that the Army staff will walk all over you if you let them. And TACPs recognize the difference between career fields and automatically respect fighter pilots more. Right off the bat they respect A-10 dudes, then F-15E/F-16, then F-15 guys. Then probably F-15E WSOs followed by everyone else. They know all the stereotypes as well as you do.

We all know that these stereotypes exist but it this is type of "eliteism" that is total bullshit. I'm not saying rated guys are better than non rated officers but the "pecking order" of "who gets more respect" with the Army based on how many weapons they have on their bird is crap. I write this as I sit here in Iraq(on a joint assignment) so I believe I can speak frankly about Army/Navy/Marines(I work with them all). You get respect based on experince, first impressions, aptitude, and job knowledge not by the type of plane you fly in. I'm sure many of my buddies who are ALOs(career ABMs) dispelled the statements above flat out cold when they got to their units(many of whom are in OEF).

Beav, I'm not flaming you and I'm sure what you say is the truth but this concept "elitism" just bothers me and as a community(rated Os) we should dispell it. I guess the only way to change the perception is one person at a time, being good at your job, and not tolerating weak shit. I just wanted to point to the fact that just because my jet doesn't have AIM-120s or JDAMS doesn't mean I play W.O.W or eat my boogers. :beer:

Edited by sigmanugary

Everything else being equal, the personality of any given pilot (and even more an Eagle pilot) is infinitely more conducive to good Army relations and good leadership over a mob of rowdy TACPs. Now before anyone launches into a "we're important too" campaign, I'm speaking in generalities. Eagle pilots are generally much more forward than your average weapons director. That's hugely important.

You have to understand a few things - the Army (specifically your peers as an ALO - FSO, S2, S3 - but also unit leadership) responds to directness and assertiveness. If they sense any wavering or weakness - and they will be looking for it in the random new USAF guy - they will walk all over you and back and your credibility is shitcanned. Furthermore, TACPs will be looking at you from day one and deciding if you're the guy who's going to go to bat for them for two years, or if you'll be reinventing their wheel for the next two years (the latter being quite common). They themselves will test this through frequent buffoonery both on and off duty.

As for CAS knowledge - few ALOs end up JTAC qualified, of those the minority will control in combat. Aside from that your knowledge needs to extend to fires and effects - who brings what to the fight and how can it best serve ground commander's intent. The core knowledge isn't anything cosmic and certainly not something that can't be learned in a few months. I maintain the 'no CAS experience' argument against Eagle drivers is flimsy at best. Maintaining rapport with the Army, looking out for your airmen in a deployed environment, and understanding fires and effects are the core skills. In my personal experience Eagle pilots do this better than ABMs. Your mileage may vary.

Alarm Red,

Thanks for the analysis.

My original question was me only thinking about the technical aspects of the job.

Your assessment of the difference in the communities was actually pretty good and got me thinking (which is difficult at my age...). Obviously, there are individual variations for both F-15 pilots and ABMs, good ones in both, bad ones in both.

But as a community, I agree with your analysis of assertiveness.

Sorry, fellow weapons controllers, er, ABMs. I hope you are some of the good dudes/dudettes, and I hope the community continues to improve, but my opinion - please note the use of the words "my opinion" - is that we don't do a good job of instilling aggresiveness/assertiveness into young'uns. Partly by necessity, a weapons team in a combat support role, i.e., we help vs. a shooter.

Any ABM ALOs here to provide a counterpoint?

We all know that these stereotypes exist but it this is type of "eliteism" that is total bullshit.

Unfortunately those stereotypes still exist because people at the "top" of the pecking order benefit from those perceptions, and thus either actively work to keep the system in place or at best passively let it continue to exist to their benefit. The people who bitch about it being wrong, which in my opinion it is, are almost always the ones driving things without pointy noses. When that happens, the people at the "top" scoff and say it's just the "bottom" guys whining or being jealous or whatever. It also doesn't help that most GOs tend to be fighter pilots, thus confirming the idea that fighter pilots are the "best" kind of pilots in the AF, with other pilots coming next, then navs, them ABMs, then everyone else under the sun. I mean, how many ABMs are general officers these days?

Back on topic, if an ALO is gonna be good at his job and at least has 1/2 a pair, it won't matter much what type of wings he's rockin'. And the way it's going with the new 13LX field, it looks like you won't need wings to do the job effectively at all.

Retroactive STS for the references to "top" and "bottom" guys...

Guest Joshmoe

I'm hoping to get an ALO assignment this cycle...

For folks who have done the job, do you have any advice? I get the "be assertive" thing, but anything more specific? Any particular body of knowledge that'd be good to walk into the job knowing? J-Fire handbook stuff? What kind of PT standard were you looking at?

Beaver, how was it that you got a JTAC qual? I thought that it was pretty rare for the O's to get trained up given limited resources.

Thanks.

Guest Alarm Red

It can be a rewarding job, or it can be misery, and a lot of that is out of your hands. It's a crapshoot. Also it's 3 years now instead of 2, and you may run into the 365-fairy during your assignment these days. I wouldn't trade my experience, but I know other people who hated life.

What kind of PT standard were you looking at?

The TACPs will already have their own PT program going. If you are comfortable with the Army PT test you'll be fine. If you're not, they'll just give you shit until you aren't a fatbody anymore (or your 3 years are up). Don't be the guy that makes it mandatory and then never goes (yes they are out there).

For folks who have done the job, do you have any advice? I get the "be assertive" thing, but anything more specific? Any particular body of knowledge that'd be good to walk into the job knowing? J-Fire handbook stuff?

The Army is your customer and your loyalties fall to your airmen. Your job is to meet the customers needs, while realizing they may have no idea, or the wrong idea, how to get there. That's why you are there. Your airmen make it happen for you and you are the last line of shitscreen for them (and it's not a very long line of shitscreens). If you can strike a balance of putting your airmen above everything else while delivering a finished product to your customer, you are successful. Never forget though that you do not work for the Army, and more importantly, don't let them forget that (they will try).

Any particular body of knowledge that'd be good to walk into the job knowing?

If you already know CAS basics (J-FIRE, 3-1.MDS chapter on CAS, etc) then get smart on Army. That's where most people spend the most time playing catchup, and figuring it out downrange is a liability.

Beaver, how was it that you got a JTAC qual? I thought that it was pretty rare for the O's to get trained up given limited resources.

Prior to late 2006, JTAC qual was given as part of ALOQC at Nellis (after follow-on checkride at home station). Late 2006, an AFI change made the requirements the same as for any 1C4 or 1C2, meaning the Nellis JTAQC with follow-on home station controls and checkrides. Yes, there are more limited resources now. Depending on which job you will have it may or may not help you downrange. You squadron, your aligned army unit, and the available resources will dictate the qual.

For folks who have done the job, do you have any advice? I get the "be assertive" thing, but anything more specific? Any particular body of knowledge that'd be good to walk into the job knowing? J-Fire handbook stuff? What kind of PT standard were you looking at?

Thanks.

Start with Joint Publication 3-09, Joint Fires Support. then know JP 3-09.3, Close Air Support in and out. Also, getting a copy of J-Fire would be great too. The newest version of JP 3-09.3 is in final draft and will be released in the next month or two. There are other pubs if you need more info.

Career ALO is a great idea for all the reasons mentioned in other posts.

As for who makes the best ALO, anyone can be with the right attitude, work ethic, and leadership skills. I think the argument is valid that an A-10 dude STARTS OUT WITH the most knowledge and credibility, but with experience folks wind up on the same playing field.

JTAC's are some of the best guys in the AF and I for one enjoy working with them.

Cheers,

Barney