Ordering Patches (name, morale, fun meter)

GW

Hi! We ordered $600 of patches from Mardon in June, they charged us right away, but “Don” has been BSing us with a new excuse every time I called (said “expect in 2 weeks” every single time).  Now it’s December, no patch, no contact, and out $600 from taxpayer $.

Anyone know how to contact them to get an outstanding order processed??? Phone is INOP. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi! We ordered $600 of patches from Mardon in June, they charged us right away, but “Don” has been BSing us with a new excuse every time I called (said “expect in 2 weeks” every single time).  Now it’s December, no patch, no contact, and out $600 from taxpayer $.
 Anyone know how to contact them to get an outstanding order processed??? Phone is INOP. 
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

We had the same issue, order over six months ago and have had a litany of excuses since. I was able to get a hold of him on his cell a few weeks ago and he told everyone everything was frozen by the IRS. The latest story is he will refund everyone when the accounts are back. We are filing a dispute with USBank, I’d suggest your cardholder do the same. PM me if you have more questions.

Moderator....If needed you can delete.

Quick introduction.  I'm a retired RJ pilot working as a civilian for AFGSC.  My job #2 is an embroidery business that I work at night.  Lately I've transitioned to making more and more nametags.  I primarily make nametags for AFGSC bases (Minot, Whiteman, Barksdale, Malmstrom) but also make nametags for a few other bases.  I've been flying under Mardon's radar and they probably haven't noticed I've been slowly building my nametag business.  If you know any of the Snackos at AFGSC bases I'm sure they'd give glowing reviews of my quality and timeliness.  If you need references I could provide them.

My website ( www.myfinishingtouch.com  ) is admittedly somewhat rudimentary and I'm hoping to update the nametag ordering process soon.  Mostly though, the Snackos and RAs I work with just email me with their nametag requirments ( myfinishingtouch@gmail.com) rather than going through my website.  My pricing is simple:  $11 if your order a single nametag or $7.50 each when ordering more than one.  Shipping is $1.50 per set of two and is capped at $6.00.  

Mardon closing is scary to me.  I hate that their Friday logo designs and squadron colors are potentially lost.  My biggest struggle when pulling in a new squadron is getting the material/thread colors close to what Mardon uses.  If I knew where Mardon bought their supplies it'd be easy but I asked them years ago and understandably they laughed at me on the phone.    My wings are much superior to Mardon's wings and the overall feel of my nametags is much better.  You'd expect me to say this but I have Mardon nametags from flying the RJ prior to my retirement so I can make a direct comparison and my customers agree.

So if you're in need of nametags please let me know.

Dave Davies

• Upvote 2

On 12/21/2017 at 2:46 PM, My Finishing Touch said:

Moderator....If needed you can delete.

I'm okay with this.  If you get to the point where you legitimately challenge Mardon's income, then we'll charge for advertising, but for now I'm happy to support the little guy. 

• Upvote 4

As a Buff dude, I've seen many of our guys going to Dave for their nametags, and his stuff is the shit.  Just as good if not better than Mardon, and certainly no two month turnaround ...try two days, if that.  Wearing one right now, in fact!  Highly recommended. 

11 hours ago, 08Dawg said:

As a Buff dude, I've seen many of our guys going to Dave for their nametags, and his stuff is the shit.  Just as good if not better than Mardon, and certainly no two month turnaround ...try two days, if that.  Wearing one right now, in fact!  Highly recommended. 

Two.

Dave, I'll try you out.  I just received my order from nametags4u.com and the product is not good; my name is almost illegible and the whole thing feels cheap.  If you can produce at or above mardon quality, I think you'll start rolling in SQ cash Scrooge McDuck style.  cheers.

8 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Dave are you going to expand into any other products?  Trying to find some nylon strips with name and wings to put on my luggage and backpack.

We've made those before on my wife's machine out of those seatbelt luggage tags they sell at clothing sales.  Just names, but wings would be pretty easy to add.  I like the idea.  I'll bet I could convince her to make you one.

IMG_20180104_170501.jpg

Edited by HU&W
Add pic

I'll work to add some pictures/products to my website.  I make two kinds of bag tags.  The first is the standard aircrew helmet double snap bag. 1" wide thick nylon webbing.  I have navy, black and red webbing.  Typically the guys are getting their wings, callsign and front profile of the B-52 embroidered on the tags.  I also make luggage tags out of 2" wide webbing (either polyester or standard seatbelt webbing) in a greater variety of colors.  These have a loop of 550 cord rather than the double snaps and typically just have a name on them.  The double snap bag tags are $15 and the luggage tags are $12.50.    I saw the Rama World bag tags and they appear to be sublimated rather than embroidered.  Not bad just a different and simpler process.  

If someone knows how to make the leather nametags I'd appreciate your gouge as I haven't been able to learn the process yet.

Thanks,

Dave

3 hours ago, My Finishing Touch said:

I'll work to add some pictures/products to my website.  I make two kinds of bag tags.  The first is the standard aircrew helmet double snap bag. 1" wide thick nylon webbing.  I have navy, black and red webbing.  Typically the guys are getting their wings, callsign and front profile of the B-52 embroidered on the tags.  I also make luggage tags out of 2" wide webbing (either polyester or standard seatbelt webbing) in a greater variety of colors.  These have a loop of 550 cord rather than the double snaps and typically just have a name on them.  The double snap bag tags are $15 and the luggage tags are $12.50.    I saw the Rama World bag tags and they appear to be sublimated rather than embroidered.  Not bad just a different and simpler process.  

If someone knows how to make the leather nametags I'd appreciate your gouge as I haven't been able to learn the process yet.

Thanks,

Dave

Our local name tag lady said there was a special tool/die to get the silver on the leather, and that it was expensive to buy the equipment, hence why it’s hard to find companies that do it. 

What kind of cost would it be to set up our squadron logo on the bag tags (with wings and names) if we did a our logo with a group order? I have the digital file of our logo but not the file used to make our name tags. I would guess I can get 10-20 people to buy, maybe more, not 100% sure, out in desert land until later this month. 

I did come across belltype and they gave me a quote for the equipment but after repeated emails they won't quote me on the dies.  The equipment was about $3k but it's the dies that scare me.  I've found another site that makes leather nametags and according to their website they have a gazillion possible designs that can go on leather nametags.  I was wagging $75 per die and if this other company really had as many possibilities as they seem to indicate they'd have close to $10k in dies.  I was hoping there would be some way to etch the design in the leather with a laser and then spray the etched area remove a masking tap and achieve the same effect but I haven't had time to test this idea yet.

Thanks,

Dave