Civilian Gate Guards

Guest Thriller

At Sheppard, the civilian gate guards ALWAYS saluted. Saturday morning not in uniform? salutes all around. I had a couple act put out that I wasn't initially returning the salute in my civilian clothes and baseball cap. Whatever, here's your salute back then...

Dude, if someone salutes you, it is a sign of respect. Just return the salute as an act of appreciation even if you are in civvies.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen all different ways. Civ guards saluting and not saluting; Arny, Navy, and AF bases. But I was raised to return the favor, so even the civilian guard has his salute returned.

Now get this, I've seen way too many Navy people not return the military gate guard salute (its a duty day and they're in uniform).

Now get this, I've seen way too many Navy people not return the military gate guard salute (its a duty day and they're in uniform).

Navy does not return (or give if I recall) salutes in a vehicle or indoors.

Dude, if someone salutes you, it is a sign of respect. Just return the salute as an act of appreciation even if you are in civvies.

my post didn't convey the tone.... I meant whatever as in the no big deal sense *shrug* my bad

The first coupla times I was just a surprised 2LT and just waived as an acknowledgement b/c that's what they had said you could do at OTS. But after a coupla times, I returned the salute and got used to it - so much that when i went to another base, I found myself running my fingers through my hair to cover for my hand rising up despite the civ gate guard not doing anything but handing my ID back to me. I'm cool :salut:

It's been sixteen years since I got out of that organization but, as I recall, you only saluted if you had your lid on. So if indoors with no lid, no salute. Indoors with lid (some kind of ceremony) salute as appropriate...shake, take, salute. Same went for the Corps. The Navy also wanted you to wear your lid while driving on base unless "it interfered with your driving". Well guess what, it always interfered with my driving. I always laugh at the geeks driving around a Navy base "following the rules".

Edited by HerkFE

It's been sixteen years since I got out of that organization but, as I recall, you only saluted if you had your lid on. So if indoors with no lid, no salute. Indoors with lid (some kind of ceremony) salute as appropriate...shake, take, salute. Same went for the Corps. The Navy also wanted you to wear your lid while driving on base unless "it interfered with your driving". Well guess what, it always interfered with my driving. I always laugh at the geeks driving around a Navy base "following the rules".

I think the only exception is when they are "under arms". The Marine guards at the Embassy salute us when we come thru Post 1.

Neither does the AF, with the aforementioned exceptions. Not returning a salute would be like someone reaching out to shake your hand and you just ignore it. Besides, as already mentioned, it's a sign of respect. Who are you hurting by not returning it?

How hard is it throw the cover on while going through the gate? To me, it just reinforces the Navy class system and the utter indifference many officers show towards their enlisted. "You gate guard, salute me because I'm an officer. I, the superior one, will not return your salute, because you need to be reminded of your place."

:salut:

The no lid-no salute rule is the guide that the Navy and USMC follow, therefore officers normally put their hats on before going on base. Otherwise, the gate guard usually will not salute, emphasis on 'usually'.

I worked at a Navy base a couple years back, and that was the norm. If I (AF officer) was not wearing my hat while driving on base and had a military gate guard, there was a 70/30 chance of me getting saluted. Most of the guards were familiar with AF protocol, but those that were not did not usually salute unless I had my hat on (which I normally did not). A few Naval officers I knew said that at OCS or in ROTC, they were told to put their hats on before going on base, and leave them on while on base. Marines will salute cars if they see ANY officer driving. Happened to me a few times, and every officer I knew had it happen to them.

The no lid-no salute rule is the guide that the Navy and USMC follow, therefore officers normally put their hats on before going on base. Otherwise, the gate guard usually will not salute, emphasis on 'usually'.

I worked at a Navy base a couple years back, and that was the norm. If I (AF officer) was not wearing my hat while driving on base and had a military gate guard, there was a 70/30 chance of me getting saluted. Most of the guards were familiar with AF protocol, but those that were not did not usually salute unless I had my hat on (which I normally did not). A few Naval officers I knew said that at OCS or in ROTC, they were told to put their hats on before going on base, and leave them on while on base. Marines will salute cars if they see ANY officer driving. Happened to me a few times, and every officer I knew had it happen to them.

When I went to the FAC(A) course at Coronado, the Navy saluting was a running joke. I noticed that they hardly ever saluted. The Marines said that they had put up chalk board that had the day’s running totals of how many seaman had walked past them without saluting.

Personally, I prefer having military personnel as the sentries at the gate. This is the first thing that people see when they roll thru the main gate, and some of the representation mentioned in this thread doesn't really put the best image of the USAF or DoD. That's just my personal opinion, and like the rest of society we are slowly creeping toward apathy. I am retired Navy, and Air Force brat. There was something safe, secure and comforting about going thru the gate and seeing a sharp SP with the nicklel-plated, ivory-handled .38 saluting as we passed thru. I've seen what you have described on some trips to USAF bases, and it just makes you wonder what the hell the brass is thinking about besides saving a few bucks...

I think the only exception is when they are "under arms". The Marine guards at the Embassy salute us when we come thru Post 1.

"Marines do not salute indoors, except when covered or under arms."

IIRC, that quote is from the Guidebook For Marines. It's probably in a MCO somewhere, too. Drilled into our heads endlessly in boot camp.

In non-combat situations/positions like Embassy guards, MPs, and the like, if you're under arms, you're covered (wearing your hat), indoors or out.

...reinforces the Navy class system and the utter indifference many officers show towards their enlisted.
2!

Marines will salute cars if they see ANY officer driving. Happened to me a few times, and every officer I knew had it happen to them.

Marines will salute any vehicle with a blue DoD sticker, pretty much regardless of who's driving or their hat status. Again, endlessly drilled into our heads in boot camp.

Personally, I prefer having military personnel as the sentries at the gate. This is the first thing that people see when they roll thru the main gate, and some of the representation mentioned in this thread doesn't really put the best image of the USAF or DoD. That's just my personal opinion, and like the rest of society we are slowly creeping toward apathy. I am retired Navy, and Air Force brat. There was something safe, secure and comforting about going thru the gate and seeing a sharp SP with the nicklel-plated, ivory-handled .38 saluting as we passed thru. I've seen what you have described on some trips to USAF bases, and it just makes you wonder what the hell the brass is thinking about besides saving a few bucks...

I had this same feeling when I lived on base as a kid. Back when I lived in Tampa, the gate guards at MacDill were military and all carried their rifles (M-16's I assume?). At Dover they have military personnel as well, though I didn't see them carrying weapons like at MacDill. Those are my only 2 exposures in the last 15 years so I can't say for much else. The Army post I work at here has contract police.

Of course as a civi, I don't get saluted ever.

I've lived on Base for the past two years, and I have to say that most (not all) of teh gate guards here at Vance are either:

A) Retired Military

B) "Active" Army/Air National Guard, and this is their job when they aren't deployed or doing drill.

C) Are Police Officers or Sherrifs, and this is their second job.

Most of the guys/gals here are very curtious and friendly. They do their job well, and if you get a "pissy" gate guard, well it's propbably the fault of one of your pompous co-workers.