Permissive TDY (PTDY)

Guest voltron

Guest voltron

I am down here at pilot training and a friend of mine (also guard) said that there is a way to have your unit bring you back home over the holidays and get you per diem. Now he seemed to think it was called something like "tdy recall" but when I called my unit they had never heard of it and I was just wondering if anyone else has? Thanks :bash:

The reg is AFI 36-3003.

If it is permssive TDY, it doesn't have the benefits you're thinking. As mentioned, you don't get per diem for PTDY and in fact you don't get paid for anything relating to it. Essentially, PTDY is used when you're doing something loosely related to, but not actual official business. Primarily it prevents you from using leave when you're doing something duty-related. I used in as a Lt when I went back home for a week or so. I got a couple days PTDY when I volunteered to go back to my old Det and talk to the cadets. A lot of people use it for house hunting prior to a PCS.

If your unit is paying to bring you home over the holidays and getting you per diem, it is NOT permissive TDY.

• 2 years later...
Guest TDYHawg

FG,

Question about permission TDY for house hunting. I'm PCSing soon and planning on house hunting after I'm done outprocessing from my current base, but before I sign into my new base. The reason I'm pursuing this path instead of taking Permissive BEFORE I sign out is that I have a multitude of tasks to accomplish before I can really leave. Anyways, my commander has verbally approved this plan, but I want to ensure Finance at my gaining base do not screw me over and charge me leave for the 10 days I will be permissive. I submitted an AF988 for paperwork but it designed for people returning to their base who has to "sign back in." My question is, what documentation does finance need for them to charge the 10 days as permissive while I'm enroute? Many thanks.

FG,

Question about permission TDY for house hunting. I'm PCSing soon and planning on house hunting after I'm done outprocessing from my current base, but before I sign into my new base. The reason I'm pursuing this path instead of taking Permissive BEFORE I sign out is that I have a multitude of tasks to accomplish before I can really leave. Anyways, my commander has verbally approved this plan, but I want to ensure Finance at my gaining base do not screw me over and charge me leave for the 10 days I will be permissive. I submitted an AF988 for paperwork but it designed for people returning to their base who has to "sign back in." My question is, what documentation does finance need for them to charge the 10 days as permissive while I'm enroute? Many thanks.

Better check AFI 36-3003 (Personnel). Most permissive for HH has to be done after you arrive and sign in to the new PDS. Check Table 7, Rule #2. But then check rule 3 in unique situations when you have TDY enroute or I-TDY. If rule 3 applies then MPF adds that to your orders. For Rule 2, you just do a 988 once you sign in to your new unit.

• 2 years later...

Question for FG:

I know PTDY isn't paid but I ran across this which confused me. It seems to indicate that house hunting trips can be reimbursed and I read posts in other threads talking about being reimbursed per diem rates.

0607 HOUSEHUNTING TRIPS

If authorized in their travel orders, DoD employees may make househunting trips, not to

exceed 10 consecutive days. The employee and spouse can travel together or separately;

however, the cost cannot exceed one round trip for travel together. The number of days

househunting that the employee uses does not limit the number of days for the spouse, (i.e., the

employee can take 4 consecutive days and the spouse could still use up to a total of 10 days.)

Advances and payment for househunting trips are based on the prescribed per diem rate.

http://comptroller.defense.gov/fmr/09/09arch/09_06.pdf

0607 HOUSEHUNTING TRIPS

If authorized in their travel orders, DoD employees may make househunting trips, not to

exceed 10 consecutive days.

Why yes they can--for DoD Employees. DOD Civilian employee travel is governed by the JTR. Specifically for HHT, that is para C5600.

Can AD, Guard, and Reserved uniformed members be reimbursed, NO.

• Upvote 1

Why yes they can--for DoD Employees. DOD Civilian employee travel is governed by the JTR. Specifically for HHT, that is para C5600.

Can AD, Guard, and Reserved uniformed members be reimbursed, NO.

Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure what "DoD Employees" covered.

• 9 months later...

This seems like the best area to ask my question. I'm PCSing with a TDY enroute to Little Rock. I'm going to be there over the the AETC Cristmas to post New Years break and would prefer to do my house hunting permissive leave over that time frame. MPF here at Peterson has said that isn't allowable under the AFI since Little Rock is not my losing base. I've checked AFI 36-3003 table 7 and it doesn't really address my question. Any ideas?

This seems like the best area to ask my question. I'm PCSing with a TDY enroute to Little Rock. I'm going to be there over the the AETC Cristmas to post New Years break and would prefer to do my house hunting permissive leave over that time frame. MPF here at Peterson has said that isn't allowable under the AFI since Little Rock is not my losing base. I've checked AFI 36-3003 table 7 and it doesn't really address my question. Any ideas?

IIRC, you'll basically take ordinary leave from Little Rock. Adhere to the PTDY time limits for it, and when you get to your final duty station, get your supervisor to sign off on PTDY for those dates you used it (it will of course be in the past). Finance, or whomever owns the PTDY process at your base, should then be able to take that authorization & credit those leave dates back onto your balance.

Rule 3 in Table 7 fits--Personnel owns the PTDY process and your MPF needs to get better acquainted with their own AFI. Losing commander authorizes it and MPF Outbound must put the statement on your orders--see attached for full text of the rule. Gaining unit supervision has nothing to do with approval and once on your PCS orders and you notate correctly on your travel voucher, finance will charge those days as permissive appropriately. If not on your orders then you will be charged ordinary leave.

post-3125-0-09474500-1372609981_thumb.jp

Rule 3 in Table 7 fits--Personnel owns the PTDY process and your MPF needs to get better acquainted with their own AFI. Losing commander authorizes it and MPF Outbound must put the statement on your orders--see attached for full text of the rule. Gaining unit supervision has nothing to do with approval and once on your PCS orders and you notate correctly on your travel voucher, finance will charge those days as permissive appropriately. If not on your orders then you will be charged ordinary leave.

I read it as it worked for me but MPF was in disagreement. Looks like its time to take the AFI over with me when we have our next discussion on why I don't have my orders yet why they don't want to provide a letter in leiu of orders. Thanks for the advise.

• 8 months later...

I am currently enrolled in an MBA distance-learning program. We have to attend these long immersion weekends several times throughout the program. Friends from other services told me they were able to get permissive TDY for these weekends. After quickly scanning AFI 36-3003, I can't find anything in Table 7 that would suggest this is legit. Please PM if you might have any suggestions/info about this.

I assume the long weekends are 3 or 4 days long. I don´t think there´s a PTDY option unless your program is connected to AFIT somehow. However, if your commander would have been willing to approve the PTDY if such a rule existed, he would probably be willing to approve several 3 or 4-day passes spaced throughout the semester that achieves the same thing at the same cost to him.

• 5 months later...

I'm retiring. I've always been told you can't use the 20 day separation persmissive TYD if you have a job. More specifically, you can't be permissive TDY while working at a new job. When I check afi, I didn't see anything about that restriction.

Any guidance? Really not a big deal either way, I just want to know the answer.

Thanks

I'm retiring. I've always been told you can't use the 20 day separation persmissive TYD if you have a job. More specifically, you can't be permissive TDY while working at a new job. When I check afi, I didn't see anything about that restriction.

Any guidance? Really not a big deal either way, I just want to know the answer.

Thanks

PTDY can be used used for job hunting and/or house hunting. If you have a job, then you need to house hunt. I belive its rule 4 on the PTDY table ( i dont remember the reg but thats the info on my terminal PTDY pprwrk).

As its been explained to me, because this same rule only authorizes either house or job hunting, actually working the job isnt allowed. You can work on terminal leave.

Edited by FBomb

• 1 year later...

Im a 2D LT in the Air Force getting ready to PCS to my next duty station in August. My question involves PTDY cause I was planning on taking 10 days of PTDY to go "house hunting". Honestly more to check out the area. The only issue is I kind of already have a place set up for me, but have yet to sign the lease. Somehow this information got leaked to my Supervisor and now I've been told he might deny me from taking 10 days of PTDY. Are they allowed to do this? All responses would be great. Thanks. 

Might still be covered by this:

4.2.3.2.13. When a specific time period is not provided for in Table 4.5:

4.2.3.2.13.1. Squadron commanders or equivalent commanders on G-series orders are authorized to approve, when the period of absence is 10 days or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Air Force just updated the leave AFI as of May 2016. There is no more house hunting unless you're coming from OCONUS to CONUS, or a TDY enroute.

image.png

I just read over it again, TDY Enroute and overseas are separate circumstances, not conditions to qualify for PTDY. Confusing and poorly written, but we should still be good.

FlyingForce - yes they can deny it. I can't imagine a supervisor actually doing that, but it is within their discretion.

One question - who, and why, would say something to your supervisor about it other than you?