Leather Flight Jacket

Guest b52g8r

Copy. I also checked AFI 36-2903 and here is all it said:

"The Leather A-2 Flying Jacket is authorized for wear

unless prohibited by MAJCOM supplement or restricted due to safety of flight concerns."

ACC sup says nothing about the leather jacket at all. The only thing I could see is if someone tried to make the link between safety of flight (i.e. not being NOMEX) and then applied that to all mankind. A bit of a jump if you ask me. If anyone does have a AFPD, AFGM, MFR, FCIF, SRF, SS to a T.O. or sticky note from Orville Wright banning leather jackets in-flight I would love to see it.

On a side note, last time I went through Pops, they said they are looking to open a store in Ramstein by next summer and maybe a store or two in the states.

When I was there in Sept he told me the one in Landstuhl is supposed to open the beginning of the year...

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just stopped by Pops today. They are still working on the location. No time frame yet. I'll see if I can get more info soon. Update to what's going on. They are still planning to put a store in the area. They said that they want it close to base so ktown it out. Just working on the German permits to open the store and have people come over to work. It is planned to be just a retail store. If you want some custom work it will be atleast a 15 day turn around. They did tell me that if it goes well and they can expand they might bring a few of thier backshop workers over to do custom work or make some stuff. The current time frame would be summer at the earliest.

Edited by cragspider

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
So today I noticed my ~2 month old issue jacket has little leather flakes/rolls coming off at the front of the collar.  Any fixes, or do I go straight to Pops?20170203_161301.jpg

Straight to Pops. If you get a chance to get one fitted at Incirlik, the price break is pretty significant compared to the website. I replaced my "100% [P]Leather" a few months ago and deeply regret not having done it much much sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got issued the same shitty type of jacket when I was an lt.  Started flaking within a year.  You're authorized two in your career.  I opted to go ahead and get my second one, and chose one of better quality.  Or, buy one from Pop's and never worry about it again. 

1 hour ago, 08Dawg said:

I got issued the same shitty type of jacket when I was an lt.  Started flaking within a year.  You're authorized two in your career.  I opted to go ahead and get my second one, and chose one of better quality.  Or, buy one from Pop's and never worry about it again. 

You got to pick?  We passed our sizes along to that one civilian who runs the squadron and she ordered them for us...

Sounds like Pops is the winner.  Glad to be rid of that terrible pleather smell too.

I got mine from the Pops website.  Like others have said, you'll pay a premium, but it's worth it.  I had my brother-in-law take the measurements as instructed on the site and a few weeks later I had my custom jacket. If you can't get there in person, the website is a good substitute.

Edited by zmoney

I've gotten two issue jackets. The first one (coming up on 3 decades old) was ok but seemed more like plastic. After a few brews at the Falcon Bar (when the falcon was still alive) and feeling like a rich Lt I decided to fork over the $70 so I'd have two jackets. My 1991 Pops original is by far the best. Not sure what they cost now, but I'm sure it's worth it. The second issued jacket (maybe 10 years old) is a little better and had the mods previously only available at Pops but still no comparison.

• Upvote 1