Leather Flight Jacket

Guest b52g8r

8.5.2.3. Authorized Leather A-2 Flying Jacket wear. The Secretary, and the Under Secretary of the Air Force, rated officers, CEA‘s, and Non-rated Aircrew members who have been permanently awarded an aeronautical badge IAW AFI 11-402, Aviation and Parachutist Service, Aeronautical Ratings and Badges, may wear the Leather A-2 Flying Jacket. The aeronautical order permanently awarding the aeronautical badge constitutes authority to wear the Leather A-2 Flying Jacket.

Yeah I know what the AFI says, but I also don't want to be "that guy" that rolls up in his new squadron with a A-2 when there are other guys already hacking the mission that haven't completed what the squadrons reqs. are to wear one.

Thanks for the input all around though.

Edited by Scaredfuzz21

They changed suppliers a few years back and mandated that they use American parts and labor. The end result is a single supplier that coats their goat leather with what appears to be brown vinyl. If you have an older generation jacket, don't lose it or let it get stolen by Egyptian movers .... The replacement sucks.

Edited by HossHarris

I'll add my endorsement for Pops. $160 bought me a nice calfskin A-2 customized and fitted to my liking. This was back in '05 so the prices may have changed. If you can't make it to Incirlik, you can get it online but it'll cost you $375. I've gotten a lot of wear out of the jacket and it has a nice broken in look to it now (i.e., some visible wear around seams, joints, etc, but no cracking or peeling and the leather is still soft and pliable). Definitely looks and feels better than any of the mil issue jackets I've seen to include the "nice" one that I was issued in '02. I've made several purchases at Pops and all has held up well. They are unique in 'the alley' in that they will not haggle, but I think you get what you pay for. Definitely worth it to me.

They changed suppliers a few years back and mandated that they use American parts and labor. The end result is a single supplier that coats their goat leather with what appears to be brown vinyl. If you have an older generation jacket, don't lose it or let it get stolen by Egyptian movers .... The replacement sucks.

Here's what I posted about the Cockpit issue jackets last year. BL: it is still real leather.

Although the leather on the current 2007 contract Cockpit USA jackets is certainly ugly looking, I assure you it is not "fake leather" -- it is legit goatskin.

A couple years ago, the rules for DoD suppliers changed, forcing the skins for the jackets to be sourced domestically rather than from overseas (traditionally, A-2s and G-1s of the last 20-30 years have been made from African imported goatskin). I don't know anything about species of goats in the US vs Africa, but apparently the skins from here at home aren't exactly prime...hence what you're seeing on the current issue jackets.

For folks who are wanting to buy aftermarket jackets, the Cockpit USA jackets that you can buy commercially are exactly the same as the issue design, but they're not held to the domestically-sourced leather restriction, so they are of much nicer quality leather. US Wings also sells an authentic current-contract jacket; they bought up the old Saddlery/Cooper Sportswear license and patterns.

If you want a REALLY nice A-2, try something from Good Wear Leather or Eastman Leather: they have historically-accurate A-2 reproductions that blow away anything you'll get from Pop's or Lim's.

Had my Pop's calfskin jacket for 6 or so years now, maybe longer. Great jacket and it still looks brand new. Only problem is I caught the zipper on the corner of a table while standing up, so not a manufacturer problem. Rest of jacket is perfect, no seam issues or worn spots. Bought another casual leather jacket from them and it has held up as well. I highly recommend them.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know of a place in San Antonio that does repairs? There's someone looking to have the cuffs replaced on their jacket, and I honestly have never needed that done.

Cheers! M2

Ok, I give up, what's a "sock check"? I'm assuming since Napolean_Tanerite mentioned it, it's probably a metaphor for some sort of deviant sexual behavior.

Ok, I give up, what's a "sock check"? I'm assuming since Napolean_Tanerite mentioned it, it's probably a metaphor for some sort of deviant sexual behavior.

Ensuring that those with flight suits conform to uniform AFIs, specifically with regards to proper sock color.

Not done by pulling the legs of the flight suit up.

Ensuring that those with flight suits conform to uniform AFIs, specifically with regards to proper sock color.

Not done by pulling the legs of the flight suit up.

No wonder I've never heard of it.