History Friday

ClearedHot

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but the online Airman Magazine issue this month had a pretty good spread on the Boneyard. Make sure you either click one of the pictures of click the link at the bottom of the article to look at the slideshow. Also note there is an "info" button in the upper right of the slideshow that I didn't realize until after I viewed all of the pictures.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A few days early:

http://www.cntravele...ad-ken-jennings

Giant Concrete Arrows across the US, were for early express mail delivery:

cn_image_0.size.aviation-archaeology-cement-arrows-transcontinental-air-mail.jpg

Every 10 miles along this route:

cn_image.size.transcontinental-air-mail-route.png

Each had a lit beacon on it

"Even the dumbest of air mail pilots, it seems, could follow a series of bright yellow arrows straight out of a Tex Avery cartoon. By 1924, just a year after Congress funded it, the line of giant concrete markers stretched from Rock Springs, Wyoming to Cleveland, Ohio. The next summer, it reached all the way to New York, and by 1929 it spanned the continent uninterrupted, the envy of postal systems worldwide."

A few days early:

http://www.cntravele...ad-ken-jennings

Giant Concrete Arrows across the US, were for early express mail delivery:

cn_image_0.size.aviation-archaeology-cement-arrows-transcontinental-air-mail.jpg

Every 10 miles along this route:

cn_image.size.transcontinental-air-mail-route.png

Each had a lit beacon on it

"Even the dumbest of air mail pilots, it seems, could follow a series of bright yellow arrows straight out of a Tex Avery cartoon. By 1924, just a year after Congress funded it, the line of giant concrete markers stretched from Rock Springs, Wyoming to Cleveland, Ohio. The next summer, it reached all the way to New York, and by 1929 it spanned the continent uninterrupted, the envy of postal systems worldwide."

Bad ass.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guess this kind of fits history Friday: PJ who rescued Goldfein is now superintendent for Acadmey Commandant of Cadets. In this article, the Chief doesn't mention uniform standards once, but he does use "warrior" 69 times. For someone who was out saving others, I think I can look past it.

http://www.usafa.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123361690

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Guess this kind of fits history Friday: PJ who rescued Goldfein is now superintendent for Acadmey Commandant of Cadets. In this article, the Chief doesn't mention uniform standards once, but he does use "warrior" 69 times. For someone who was out saving others, I think I can look past it.

http://www.usafa.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123361690

Great message from a great warrior. It makes sense to me because I think that way regarding mission and priorities, but I wonder if it makes sense to those people I see avoiding retreat while they race to the door/gate at 1625 every day, or the ones who avoid that drop down mission over the weekend that just came from Current Ops because they had a quiet weekend planned with their significant other. I like the idea of warrior ethos, but I think its true meaning is being lost these days with the wars dying down. It just becomes a "punchline" as Col Nathan Jessup would say, in "Warrior Day" speeches. As we float further down that path where camaraderie and bromanship are slowly being taken out of our workplace and we become more corporate-like, it will be hard to expect any kind of "warrior ethos" when all the real warriors are gone/retired and we have to talk about how things used to be in a "History Friday" thread.

Yeah, I remember sometime back in 2011 or 2012 when bromanship and camaraderie existed on a Friday night at the squadron bar or those clubs we used to have on base. Those were the days....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

http://theaviationist.com/2014/08/04/russian-bears-at-giuk-gap/

How the U.S. F-15s intercepted Russian Bear bombers in the GIUK Gap: tensions and hilarious moments above Iceland.

"Another hilarious moment dates back to the time when one F-15 pilot showed off a Playboy nude centerfold across the expansive side of the Eagle’s canopy, for the Soviet aviators entertainment. Once they saw it, they responded by running the Bear air to air refueling probe (which was encased in a long cylindrical tube extending above the nose and would be run out to clog up into the drogue basket) in and out, and in and out of its protective sleeve."

Edited by snoopyeast