History Friday

ClearedHot

Great Topic!

Concur on the F-4!

Perhaps that's why I like this one:

17a1.jpg

15a.jpg

14a.jpg

The Bristol Beaufighter. Jack of all trades, master of none, it was the most heavily armed fighter on either side during WWII - 4 x 20mm, 6 x .303MG.

We used them as night fighters in the Mediterranean and North Africa from 1943 until 1945 borrowed from the RAF, mainly because our night fighter, the P-61 wasn't ready until early 1944 and the AAF couldn't get enough of them.

Great ground and ship attacker, pretty decent night interceptor. Rugged as hell.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to greedy and jump on the F-86 as well, but that's for someone else to do.

Edited by brickhistory

I'm going to jump on the rare and beautiful XB-70 Valkyrie. A Bit of a sad story, it was a research craft designed to fly high and fast (over Mach 3 at 70,000 feet). Only two were built, and one was lost when the F-104 chase plane rolled over the vertical stabs and snapped them off. You can read the whole story here.

The last one is at WPAFB, in the USAF Museum. It is quite a sight to behold in person.

xb70-1_300-2.jpg

xb70to.jpg

Edited by pawnman

pawnman-

Sweet pic of the kitty cat.

WTF?

If you right click on it and do view image it goes to sr71.net and shows another picture of the XB-70. It looks like the webmaster of the hosting site set it up to show a different image if you are not viewing the picture from his site (to deter including it in forums, etc and using his bandwidth) like airliners.net tends to do.

I guess my first airplane is my favorite. I loved working the F-111, even though it was some what of a MX nightmare, it was a labor of love! Wicked fast and deadly accurate with great long legs...

4xyrpt2.jpg

54oalpz.jpg

Guest Jimmy

WWII - PZL-37b My favorite medium bomber of WWII...

300px-PZL-37_Los.jpg

WWII again P-47B.

4712.jpg

60s - F-100 Supersabre

F-100St.jpg

80s - MiG-29 seen here in Polish livery.

072xx.jpg

Guest ElRoy

WWII - Gotta love it

p38-9.jpg

Korea/Vietnam - Besides the F-4? OV-10, I think it would be hella cool to fly.

ov-10-nog.jpg

Modern Day I wish I would have had the chance to be a WSO on an F-111

F111_web.jpg

If you right click on it and do view image it goes to sr71.net and shows another picture of the XB-70. It looks like the webmaster of the hosting site set it up to show a different image if you are not viewing the picture from his site (to deter including it in forums, etc and using his bandwidth) like airliners.net tends to do.

Exactly what happened. I even previewed the post and it showed the plane correctly. I'm on it.

WWII - tie between P-38 Lightning

16fight-p38lightninga.jpg

and Me262 Swallow

me262.jpg

Korea - F-86 Sabre (behind Mig-15)

mig15-f86.jpg

Vietnam - AC-47 Spooky

SpookyFiring.jpg

Cold War Era - tie between A-10 Warthog

a10.jpg

and SR-71

sr71_0018.jpg

Modern/Future - Sukhoi is coming out with some interesting airplanes, the Su-47/S-37 (forward swept one) Berkut and Su-27SMK and Su-30MKK pictured

mob197_1145738369.jpg

and honorable mention to the Su-34 for looking like a platapous IMO

su34_7.jpg

The F-106.

590051-1.jpg

I second the F-106. Grew up a military brat watching it fly at K.I. Sawyer. Old man was a fire control technician on the "6" and now retired chief. The aircraft markings in your pic are of the 87th FIS (Red Bulls) at K.I. Sawyer.

Edited by ex-recce-mx

I didnt realize the 'Raging Red Bulls' of the 47th FTW at Laughlin were once a 106 unit. Thanks for the info.

Chuck

I have no idea if they adopted that nickname from the 87th FIS. However, the -106 unit did not have the "Raging" moniker in their nickname. They were simply known as "The Red Bulls". By all means, check it out here: http://www.f-106deltadart.com/87fis.htm