Smart phone

Techsan

I just got a windows mobile smartphone because I wanted a phone with Wifi to use for Skype and what not. I like it so far, but it seems like the WiFi connection speed is really slow when compared to my laptop, even when they are connected to the same network. Skype will work fine on my laptop, but be choppy on the smartphone. Anyone else experience this or know why the phone's wifi would be slower? I thought it might be because of my phone's processor speed, but it is a newer model (Samsung Epix) and is supposed to have a relatively fast processor.

I've had limited success with Skype on my tilt. Works 10x better on the laptop. Doesn't suprise me much because I have to be almost on top off the Wifi signal in order to connect on my phone.

I really want the new Iphone 3GS, but I think my wife is going to be getting one before me - been bugging me for about 6 months now. We're both in the cingular line since most of our family uses it.

That said, has anyone heard when Cingular/AT&T is going to capitalize on the Iphone's tethering capability?

FWIW, my wife got a Palm Pre yesterday and I have mine on order. I've been messing with her Pre, and I have to say that I am fairly impressed. Seems to be fast, even when it isn't on WIFI. Battery seems decent too. I wanted to go with Iphones, but at 60 bucks more per month for service, it's not worth it. I wish it had more apps, but they are on the way supposedly.

I really want the new Iphone 3GS, but I think my wife is going to be getting one before me - been bugging me for about 6 months now. We're both in the cingular line since most of our family uses it.

That said, has anyone heard when Cingular/AT&T is going to capitalize on the Iphone's tethering capability?

Without voiding your warranty via jailbreak, tethering should be available in September/October. Count MMS on that list too.

I finally gave into the iPhone craze yesterday, I have the 3G right now, waiting on my 3Gs to come in the mail. Coming over from verizon, I love it! Cheaper family plans, excellent customer service (at least at our local store), and the phone is pretty awesome (compared to several Verizon Windows Smartphones)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Cap-10

I was just browsing on Airline Pilot Central (a great site for learing about the airlines, fractionals, etc) and I stumbled upon AirlinePilotApps.com. Looks like one stop shopping for Iphone aviation apps and they are separated by use: Flight Planning, Weather, Navigation, Logbooks, etc.

I'll post if anything catches my eye.

Cheers,

Cap-10 :flag_waving:

Stupid question, but we're in the middle of a PCS and the home computer is in storage right now. If I get the iPhone 3GS, in order to activate, it appears I have to go through iTunes. If I activate the phone on another computer is that going to create problems down the road when I want to sync it with my home PC that I normally use for iTunes related stuff?

Guest C-17 Flyer
Anyone have any good aviation-related apps for the iphone? More specifically, good aviation weather apps that show int'l destinations in additon to the US stuff.

Check out AeroWeather, it's free too.

Stupid question, but we're in the middle of a PCS and the home computer is in storage right now. If I get the iPhone 3GS, in order to activate, it appears I have to go through iTunes. If I activate the phone on another computer is that going to create problems down the road when I want to sync it with my home PC that I normally use for iTunes related stuff?

With the plain 3G you don't need iTunes unless you want to download large apps (over 10mb), add music, or update the software. Just make sure you know your iTunes username and password. I recently got a new computer and when I sync'd the phone to it all my apps were deleted, but the music stayed (I think I did it wrong and there is a different way to avoid this), but it wasn't too much of a pain to replace them and you don't need to pay again for the ones you bought. Don't know too much about the new version, hope this helps.

Edited by snizz

I'm totally thread-jacking here...

Has anyone used PCS orders to get out of their cell phone contract? (There was a thread about this... somewhere... I can't find it!)

We're moving, and we have Sprint. According to Sprints homepage, the coverage in the area we will be at is either no coverage or "fair."

I called Sprint and asked the CSR, but she seemed clueless as to the questions I was asking.

I'm sorry for posting this question here, I can't find that thread anywhere! (and it's 4:45am, and I haven't gone to bed yet! :>)

Thanks!

We got out of Verizon when we moved to Enid. We had to show a copy of my orders. We also got out of T-Mobile while at Vance based on me saying I got zero signal at work, and I wasn't going to pay for a service I could only use 1/2 of the day. The latter took more bitching and resolve, but I did it. The key is to never give up and being a pain in their ass. I always recommend starting off with the nice route and explaining the situation (moving, won't have signal, need it b/c I'm pregnant and have to be able to call my husband, etc., etc.). Hopefully you get a nice person who understands and does what you want. If not, hang up, try another person. If that person is unhelpful, bring out the "bitch mode" and don't stop until you've talked to supervisors et al...they have to let you out b/c of a mil move, they just may fight you some and tell you they can't. Don't believe them or let them convince you otherwise.

Guest C-17 Flyer
I'm totally thread-jacking here...

Has anyone used PCS orders to get out of their cell phone contract? (There was a thread about this... somewhere... I can't find it!)

We're moving, and we have Sprint. According to Sprints homepage, the coverage in the area we will be at is either no coverage or "fair."

I called Sprint and asked the CSR, but she seemed clueless as to the questions I was asking.

I'm sorry for posting this question here, I can't find that thread anywhere! (and it's 4:45am, and I haven't gone to bed yet! :>)

Thanks!

I did it at Laughlin. We had Nextel when we got there, which had zero service. They told me to send a copy of orders, which I did. However, PCS orders are titled REQUEST AND AUTHORIZATION FOR PERMANENT CHANGE OF STATION, the idiot working my case took that to mean that I requested the move so they denied me. I finally sent a letter from my flight CC and that worked.

I have Sprint, and I get sub par service in housing on base here on NASCC. I called them, asking about canceling since I was on orders, etc. They told me I could (talk to retentions, they helped the most) but they offered me an additional 5% a month discount on my bill plus a free early upgrade on a phone. I took that since I won't be here long, and the service is tolerable. Regardless, they said I could without any issues.

PFPS is 'Limited Distribution'--the software rights belong to the government. So like Brabus said, I seriously doubt they'll make an app for it anytime soon i.e. probably never.

On a better note--I finally switched to the iPhone and got my new 3Gs last week--it is very sweet. I haven't played around with it as much as I would like so I'm still learning all the different settings, what apps I want, etc. I've been a Mac guy for the last 2 years and can honestly say that they just make better stuff.

I have Sprint, and I get sub par service in housing on base here on NASCC. I called them, asking about canceling since I was on orders, etc. They told me I could (talk to retentions, they helped the most) but they offered me an additional 5% a month discount on my bill plus a free early upgrade on a phone. I took that since I won't be here long, and the service is tolerable. Regardless, they said I could without any issues.

Thanks! This is most helpful!

• 5 months later...

Those pretentious "genius" f*cks at the Apple store have made me seriously consider murder on more than one occasion, but that iPhone is one helluva great phone. So, despite my deep seeded hatred of Apple, I am considering a switch to the Holy iPhone. For you current iPhone owners who switched from a Blackberry, is there anything you miss about the BB, anything it did better, etc. and if so how much do you really miss it?

Those pretentious "genius" f*cks at the Apple store have made me seriously consider murder on more than one occasion, but that iPhone is one helluva great phone. So, despite my deep seeded hatred of Apple, I am considering a switch to the Holy iPhone. For you current iPhone owners who switched from a Blackberry, is there anything you miss about the BB, anything it did better, etc. and if so how much do you really miss it?

Absolutely agree with everything you have said. I can't stand Apple, I despise iTunes, and I love my iPhone. The only thing better about blackberry is that email is received instantly like a text. It's definitely not a deal breaker for me, and I would not consider going to Droid or Blackberry (at the moment).