CFI (Certified Flight Instructor) info

HuggyU2

How much preparation did you put into the single engine add on before going out with Gordo? I spoke with him a while back to do the same, but never followed up. How many flights did you do to prepare?

How much preparation did you put into the single engine add on before going out with Gordo? I spoke with him a while back to do the same, but never followed up. How many flights did you do to prepare?

I flew two flights on my own...one pattern only to practice the short/soft takeoff and landings and the power off-180 and another flight where I just concentrated on the stalls, steep turns, and ground reference maneuvers....about 1.69 hours total.

Then, since you need a logbook endorsement, I flew a 1.0 with Gordo's IP for the to-check / sign-off...checkride after that.

Cap-10

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

So what did Gordo make you do on the checkride? DId you have to do the lazy 8s, chandelle's, and all of the other stuff by the book?

I also got my ATP Single Engine & CFI Single Engine with Gordo - he goes 100% by the book, so if it's in the PTS, it's in the checkride. That being said, he is a retired Phantom Phlyer so he speaks our language and tailors his act accordingly. Well worth the trip to Jasper - great instruction, great equipment and a fairly adminstered checkride.

Edited by Nuke77

What Nuke said.

IAW the PTS...but since you are most likely doing an add-on, the PTS allows for the DPE to pick one or two maneuvers from each section instead of doing everything listed.

Cap-10

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net iOS App!

• 3 months later...

If you were going to give a friend lessons to get his PPL, what ground school would you all recommend? i'm gonna go do a couple flights w a CFI to get the maneuvers down again, but I don't really have time to teach him ground school from scratch. Obviously I'll recommend SheppardAir for the written test prep, but you've still gotta learn the knowledge...esp for the PPL. King ground schools? Anything else?

Also, what have you all used for a syllabus when giving instruction?

If you were going to give a friend lessons to get his PPL, what ground school would you all recommend? i'm gonna go do a couple flights w a CFI to get the maneuvers down again, but I don't really have time to teach him ground school from scratch. Obviously I'll recommend SheppardAir for the written test prep, but you've still gotta learn the knowledge...esp for the PPL. King ground schools? Anything else?

Also, what have you all used for a syllabus when giving instruction?

Sportys ground school....available online/DVD/tablet.

There is also a ground and flight syllabus book that you as the CFI can purchase....will cover lesson material for each lesson with references to the ground school lessons, chapters, etc.

Gleim also makes similar products....little cheaper, but the books are a bit "wordy" for most students.....I like Sporty's because of the visual/video aspects.

Good luck!

Cap-10

Edited by Cap-10

Sporty's and ASA I think are the best for ground school. They've both developed mobile apps for test prep as well as having good instructional videos.

Jeppessen syllabus is probably the best. I have one I made up specifically for my students that is based on the Jepp syllabus.

Make sure you know the DPE you'll have your student use. A good CFI-DPE relationship is key.

Finally....I want to punch John and Martha King in the throat. Their bad jokes remind me of a never-ending AFN commercial.

Edited by Dupe
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Finished my MCI and received my MEI and CFII

I just ordered the IGI (Instrument Ground Instructor) test prep from Sheppard Air. I did see FOI (Fundamentals of Instruction)... is that the test you start with if going for CFI from scratch? I assume you do not need it if you did the MCI.

I just ordered the IGI (Instrument Ground Instructor) test prep from Sheppard Air. I did see FOI (Fundamentals of Instruction)... is that the test you start with if going for CFI from scratch? I assume you do not need it if you did the MCI.

Correct. For someone without an IP qual, getting a CFI would require taking the FOI and FIA tests, then taking a Practical (Checkride) with the FAA. Adding a CFII requires the FII test and another Practical.

For Mil IPs, the MCI replaces all written tests, and your Form 8 replaces the Practical.

Edited by BUSTED

For Mil IPs, the MCI replaces all written tests, and your Form 8 replaces the Practical.

All written tests with the exception of the Ground Instructor tests correct? AGI and IGI.

For those in the Seattle area looking for Single Engine Instructor add on, I spoke with Rainer Flight Service in Renton and Galvin (Landmark) at Boeing Field, they said it was pretty easy. I know some have mentioned the SE ATP, but they recommend doing the commercial single engine check. Reasoning was the Instructor add on check is the exact same thing flown from the right seat.

Congrats! Make sure you know how to keep your flight instructor certificate current. You can get screwed if your IP check ride window is not timed right or if you go to a non-flying gig and don't realize you need to keep the CFI current. There is no such thing as a mil-comp instructor recertification.

All written tests with the exception of the Ground Instructor tests correct? AGI and IGI.

There's also the BGI. If you're going to go to the FSDO to get one, you might as well get them all.

Congrats! Make sure you know how to keep your flight instructor certificate current. You can get screwed if your IP check ride window is not timed right or if you go to a non-flying gig and don't realize you need to keep the CFI current. There is no such thing as a mil-comp instructor recertification.

There's also the BGI. If you're going to go to the FSDO to get one, you might as well get them all.

Thanks for the info, yes multiple people have said never let it expire.

I'm too lazy to look to see if this has been listed here before but here is an easy way to renew your CFI. Pay once ($99) for a lifetime subscription. I signed up for this before I went to pilot training and I'm currently going through it to renew my CFII for the 4th time. Best deal going!

http://www.americanflyers.net/flightinstructor/online_renewal.htm

If actively instructing in the military, your FSDO should have a savvy enough person to revalidate your cfi without the course. Just ask what is needed, a summary of your IP hours in the last 2 years and whatever else they want- last IP eval form 8, etc. Just a FSDO visit. Your BFR is your Qual/Instm, your current 1042 is your 3rd class physical, if that is all you need.

Correct. The MCI covers the testing requirements for all appropriate flight instructor ratings... Ground instructor stuff is a different animal... You have to take those tests, if you want them.

Sorry for the confusion and over-simplification.

For those in the Seattle area looking for Single Engine Instructor add on, I spoke with Rainer Flight Service in Renton and Galvin (Landmark) at Boeing Field.

Butters, are those Fbos mil friendly? Anyone do an ATP thru them?

Butters, are those Fbos mil friendly? Anyone do an ATP thru them?

I talked to an individual thar did the ATP Practical at Galvin. It was described as an awesome experience. Now "mil friendly" depends, I see mil friendly as... we know what you do, now let's min run this and rubber stamp it... Not saying that's what it is, but it is how I see it. The Galvin course is more expensive but you get outstanding instruction and prep. Individual had no issues passing check ride. Remember, instructors want a perfect record of successful checks. I ran the numbers and while this course cost 3k you save if local with no hotel, rental, or travel..

Galvin Flying Services at Boeing Field. The good, the bad, the ugly. Fantastic flight school and FBO! Fantastic airplane! Electronic engine control, no lean/mixture, etc. Great staff. Great instructors. Great ATP prep. You can schedule around your schedule. Inhouse/fair evaluator (you will work for it, but fair). The bad/ugly - no GI Bill and no 3-5 day program. For me, it was the right choice and I definitely give them two thumbs up!

Edited by Butters

• 2 months later...

American Flyers still the best thing going for the FIRC? What kind of turn around time is there for the actual renewal and what does it involve? I'm inside of 30 days until I drop dead.

I used AceCFI for my most recent renewal. They're the cheapest it took me 2.5 hours to complete the online CBTs. Highly recommend!

-9-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same experience here. Relatively painless. Had a question about the paperwork. Email was answered within an hour.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any SA to the mil comp changes coming from the FAA? I went to get my CFI mil comp as a fighter guy about 2 months ago and the FSDO told me there was a change coming out that would remove all of the centerline thrust restrictions.

Does anyone have any SA to that?

I'm pretty sure I'm reading it wrong, but does SFAR 100-2 provide for CFI reinstatement just by being deployed?

Does anyone know why the FAA won't allow expired CFI's to reinstate via Mil IP Form 8 but will allow a guy who has never held the certificate? I really can't think of any reason for that.

I REALLY don't want to take that checkride again. Maybe my check IP was tough, but that checkride was about 10 hours of GK and a 2 hour flight. Awful.