CFI (Certified Flight Instructor) info

HuggyU2

Guest TheBurt

Thanks for the good info. I used the link to sheppard air and called them, paid and downloaded the coursware, also set up the CATS test for Monday. Pretty painless, except I now have to study.

• 1 month later...
Guest TheBurt

Thanks to this thread took the test the Monday after I posted the previous message. The Sheppard materials were great and user friendly, studied for about 4 hours on Sunday. It took about a week of calling the local FSDO every day to talk to an inspector to set up an appointment. Walked in with all my stuff in one sock and left 15minutes later with the CFI, CFII and MEI. The FSDO inspector was great and the gouge that I downloaded from Sheppard helped since this was the first Mil Comp Instructor that they had done. Thanks BaseOps!

• 1 month later...
...trimmed the potential question database from 1500+ 2 weeks ago to just over 500 questions now. So thank you to the guys who took it early and gave them feedback!

Sheppard Air's database is 460-something now. I'm going to take the MCI test Monday. And for those that plan to take it in the near-ish future, you might want to go ahead and get it done by March 1st. After that, test prices - CATS and Lasergrade - go from $100 to $150.

• 9 months later...

Maybe I'm just really slow, but I recently learned that certain AF Education Centers are Airman Knowledge Test Centers. If I understand this right, free tests for IP equivalency, ATP, etc. Anyone know anymore details?

List

Maybe I'm just really slow, but I recently learned that certain AF Education Centers are Airman Knowledge Test Centers. If I understand this right, free tests for IP equivalency, ATP, etc. Anyone know anymore details?

List

did you call them and ask?

I just took the MCI test.. very easy. I studied for it three nights and used the sheppardair study guide program. Now to make an appointment with the FSDO

• 5 months later...

I'll take the MCI test soon and get a CFI/CFII AMEL certificate. Then I'd like to get a CFI ASEL add-on. Has anyone up in here done that? How many training flights did you do? How was the oral exam and check? And did you use a DE?

I'll take the MCI test soon and get a CFI/CFII AMEL certificate. Then I'd like to get a CFI ASEL add-on. Has anyone up in here done that? How many training flights did you do? How was the oral exam and check? And did you use a DE?

OK, your terminology is off, and that creates confusion. To clarify:

- you are going to get the CFII and MEI Instructor Certificate, based on your military background. Got it.

- is is unclear on what Pilot license you have.

-- you have an AMEL Commercial Pilot certificate, true?

-- Do you have an ASEL Commercial Pilot certificate?

--- If not, what ASEL pilot certificate do you have?

--- If it's not "Commercial Pilot", you must get that first.

--- If you do, the number of flights you need to get your CFI Certificate will vary. It depends on a lot. Overall, it should not take you a lot of hours of flying/ground instruction if you are a good pilot.

Once you have your Commercial Pilot ASEL certificate, you will have the option of using the DE. Why would you want to use a FSDO examiner?

Edited by Huggyu2

So I used my records showing that I was a C17 IP to get my CFII and MEI from the FSDO.. but I can't teach in single engine because the c-17 was multiengine!

But of course! It's the same "government" that is bringing you such well thought out programs such as the RIF, VSP, foreign aid to Pakistan, and death taxes. Are you surprised by this?

That's the advantage of being a T-6 IP. However, it gives 0 multi-engine time which employers love...

Don't sweat it. You will have plenty of "quality time" by the time you end your 10 year commitment. I know plenty of pilots that flew only the Viper that got flying jobs at major airlines.

Edited by Huggyu2

But of course! It's the same "government" that is bringing you such well thought out programs such as the RIF, VSP, foreign aid to Pakistan, and death taxes. Are you surprised by this?

Well I checked the single engine box and almost got away with it but the FSDO guy caught it at the last min.

Edited by nrodgsxr

Well I checked the single engine box and almost got away with it but the FSDO guy caught it at the last min.

You should be glad he did. Employers love improper credentials even more than they love single engine time....

Overall, it should not take you a lot of hours of flying/ground instruction if you are a good pilot.

Pretty much covers everything associated with flying.

• 1 year later...

Has anybody used an online course to renew their CFI/CFII tickets that would recommend the course they took?

I've seen American Flyers for $125, and it looked promising. I'd use AOPA, but I'm not a member.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I just used the American Flyers course a week ago to renew my CFI for the fourth time. Quick, cheap, easy, and accessible from the 'stans. It's the AMU-equivalent for CFI renewal. Pay once, use forever. I always opt for the ACR service since skipping a trip to the FSDO is worth $50 to me.

I'm in general agreement with Colorado. It's not necessarily quick because (as of May 2012) there is a certain minimum amount of time you're supposed to spend "studying" the material in each section. Thus, for each section, you can't just click though to the end a la ADLS CBTs. You have to let the window stay open for ~1.5 hours per section.Really not a show stopper, just a PIA.

Ultimately, I recommend it.

Has anybody used an online course to renew their CFI/CFII tickets that would recommend the course they took?

I've seen American Flyers for $125, and it looked promising. I'd use AOPA, but I'm not a member.

Free AOPA Membership for AD Military

I'm using King Schools right now...AOPA/King/American Flyers all seem to charge about the same (except for the one-time American Flyers fee), but King was the only one I saw that didn't require a notarized certificate/snail mail or a trip to the FSDO when you're done...everything's taken care of online.

§ 61.197 Renewal requirements for flight instructor certification.

(a) A person who holds a flight instructor certificate that has not expired may renew that flight instructor certificate by—

(iv) A record showing that, within the preceding 12 months from the month of application, the flight instructor passed an official U.S. Armed Forces military instructor pilot proficiency check.

I'm in general agreement with Colorado. It's not necessarily quick because (as of May 2012) there is a certain minimum amount of time you're supposed to spend "studying" the material in each section. Thus, for each section, you can't just click though to the end a la ADLS CBTs. You have to let the window stay open for ~1.5 hours per section.Really not a show stopper, just a PIA.

Ultimately, I recommend it.

I've used American Flyers for 7 + years. One time fee and I can renew for life. Every 2 years, I just plan on some hours waiting on the course to time out so I can take the test. Small PIA to have CFII. Highly recommend AM Flyers.

A most important post.....look two up and reread AA's post. If you have a current IP Form 8, you don't need to do the American Flyers/Gleim haze. Just call the FSDO in advance for an appointment.

Agree that you can take proof of your eval to the FSDO for the renewal. I have never wanted to take the chance that I got some FSDO dude with an attitude on the last day for renewal and have him say, my proof is not good enough for him, the FAA representative. My last trip to the FSDO was not pleasant. After getting zero consideration for an appointment despite saying that I was TDY from overseas and limited by civilian sim recurrent schedule, being treated like a convict being booked for inprocessing once I got to the counter, having the inspector fling by paperwork past me on to the floor and then he tells me I would make a great prospective FAA employee with my Rotorcraft CFI-I, ASEL-I, MEI, CFII and 10K hours. Go figure. At least for me, I do the American Flyers thing every 2 years.