Washington DC

JP84U2

Inside the Beltway at Van Dorn has a lot of apartments, but I wouldn't say that most of it is particularly walking friendly. Old Town Alexandria would be the place to be if you want a social scene, everything in walking distances, and not too far from Andrews. There are a bunch of larger town homes right near National Harbor on the MD side, as well, if you want something like that. Kingstowne isn't too bad for the commute.

Waldorf has cheaper prices, but you'll pay for it with commute times!

• 1 year later...

Anyone recently worked at the Pentagon and commuted from Bolling Green?

I work in downtown DC and live in Fredericksburg. The Virginia Railway Express (www.vre.org) stops in Crystal City, and Pentagon workers can take the Metro 2 stops from there. Beats driving I95 every day. Edited by ExBoneOSO

A lot of my folks live down that way...slug in very early to beat the traffic up 95 in the morning, leave early to get back down 95 in the afternoons. I live on the Hill and end up locking up the spaces every night since everyone is gone by 1530.

As mentioned by the back, right seat B-1 rider..... train/METRO is probably your best option.

Cheers

Collin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Not to change the subject, but anyone here fly in the 113th?

As for living, I'm an Arlington native so it comes highly recommended. Affording it is a different story, however, there is affordable housing near the Columbia Pike and Route 50 (Arlington Blvd) sections. Only problem is you miss the proximity to metro (that's why it's affordable) and your saddled by 395 which sucks ass. Crystal city is good as well. I've taken metro to Andrews before back when the Joint Ops Airshows were more frequent and it seems reasonable. I think Alexandria is best at the moment for affordable living and comfort, not sure about public transportation options. 

Not to change the subject, but anyone here fly in the 113th?

As for living, I'm an Arlington native so it comes highly recommended. Affording it is a different story, however, there is affordable housing near the Columbia Pike and Route 50 (Arlington Blvd) sections. Only problem is you miss the proximity to metro (that's why it's affordable) and your saddled by 395 which sucks ass. Crystal city is good as well. I've taken metro to Andrews before back when the Joint Ops Airshows were more frequent and it seems reasonable. I think Alexandria is best at the moment for affordable living and comfort, not sure about public transportation options. 

I live in Arlington right by the Ballston metro, and I would recommend this area for its safety and proximity to good schools. When the Metro isn't on fire the commute is pretty seamless as the orange and silver line both take you into DC, though you must switch lines for the Pentagon and they are scaling way back on the blue line for whatever stupid reason.

Driving is a problem all around because 66 cuts to two lanes in one of the busiest areas, the Beltway and 95 are awful, and the Key Bridge is a wreck waiting to happen at all times. My work is near Arlington and taking the back roads is easy.

• 2 months later...

Looking for a roommate on Andrews base housing.  You get your own bathroom and the place is furnished down stairs.  There is one other roommate but he only comes in a couple nights a week late at night and leaves early morning.  $634 a month includes electric and internet.  Anyone interested please send me a message.  It is on Tucson street if want to drive by.  I can also meet you there to look at it.

Edited by OverTQ

56BsiTG.jpg

The other roommate has a home in Baltimore but works at the puzzle palace.  He uses it when he is too tired to drive home (he can afford it).  All rent is paid to base housing and not any of the tenants.  But that means we have to go by their rules.  IE no civilians, retires or members of the opposite sex.  We also have to cover down on the rent when someone moves out.  Which is why I am advertising for a roommate.

• 2 months later...