Gun Talk

VL-16

1 hour ago, nunya said:

A training class. 101 if they’re new to guns.  Something fun and tacticool if they’re experienced.

He was previously a cop before he left the career field. Great idea I hadn't thought of, though. I might take a class with him. Was also thinking of IWB holsters or lights or something. So many options, I don't know what's what.

14 minutes ago, torqued said:

Was also thinking of IWB holsters or lights or something.

My opinion is those are too personalized to gift. Holsters are like bras. Both gotta fit the way you want or they’re coming off. So I only buy uncomfortable ones for my wife. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, torqued said:

I have a family member who recently got a G43X.

Any recommendations for must-have accessories I can give as a gift for Christmas?

5 hours ago, nunya said:

A training class. 101 if they’re new to guns.  Something fun and tacticool if they’re experienced.

I've heard excellent reviews of the Low Profile Carry and the Operator Courses

https://glocktraining.com/

• Upvote 1

Considering this, I don't have an AR pistol...

PSA 10.5” 5.56 NATO 1:7 Nitride 9” Lightweight M-Lok Freedom Upper w/BCG Spikes Spartan Lower Geissele Super Charging Handle Timney ST Impact 3lb Trigger Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch MBUS Front & Rear Magpul Moe+ Grip SBA3 Brace Magpul Hand Stop QD Base plate Streamlight 88071 w/Remote Switch and Offset Mount.

$850 hard.

PSA 10.5” 5.56 AR Pistol (1).jpg

PSA 10.5” 5.56 AR Pistol (2).jpg

1 hour ago, M2 said:

PSA 10.5” 5.56 NATO 1:7 Nitride 9” Lightweight M-Lok Freedom Upper w/BCG Spikes Spartan Lower Geissele Super Charging Handle Timney ST Impact 3lb Trigger Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch MBUS Front & Rear Magpul Moe+ Grip SBA3 Brace Magpul Hand Stop QD Base plate Streamlight 88071 w/Remote Switch and Offset Mount.

$850 hard.

No description available.

Chamber that in a 300 blackout and I'm in.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I was in my Sadaam spider hole the other night looking at my firearms collection.  I have a problem.  I have plenty of room to hang plenty more handguns across the wall, and I have space to put at least two more 7x rifle racks.  I've backed off over the past 6 months or so, but over the last 3 years I went unchecked buying handguns, rifles, steel targets, ammo, scopes, red dots, and component upgrades.  Felt pretty good about it until the other night.  A lot of empty space.  Now, I don't want to spend another truckload full of money, but I want more guns.  I want to get into purchasing some surplus / vintage stuff.  I don't know anything about it, but I want to get some reasonably priced guns.  Any advice / suggestions would help.

I have two ranges on my property, one is a 55 yard handgun range in the woods (think hickock 45) and the other is a 200 yarder into a berm in a cleared field.  I recently decided to put my self defense eggs in the AR-10 basket and so .308 is the preferred caliber for me for long guns.  9mm is what I have the most stocked up for handguns, but .45 would be ok too.  I already have a 1911 (Kimber Custom) so I'm not really shopping for a vintage 1911.  I'll get a Colt later on. 

I have an FFL here that charges $25 to receive a shipment if you're a veteran.  Best price down here, its about half of what Bass Pro or any of the other places charge.  Surplus/vintage that I'm interested in initially:

- Makarov:  I know, 9x18.  Would have to buy yet another caliber of ammo.  But there are some cheap Makarovs and they have an interesting history

- Enfield

- Henry

- Barretta 92F: Before any of you go to Tractor Supply and buy chicks so you can raise them until they are old enough to lay eggs just so you can throw them at me - I'd like to own a 92F, just because that was our issued firearm.  I can't shoot it worth a shit and its heavy as hell, but - personal nostalgia.

Related note - I'm not really familiar with any surplus/vintage dealers so that info would be appreciated too.  Please don't say Buds.   

9 hours ago, filthy_liar said:

So I was in my Sadaam spider hole the other night looking at my firearms collection.  I have a problem.  I have plenty of room to hang plenty more handguns across the wall, and I have space to put at least two more 7x rifle racks.  I've backed off over the past 6 months or so, but over the last 3 years I went unchecked buying handguns, rifles, steel targets, ammo, scopes, red dots, and component upgrades.  Felt pretty good about it until the other night.  A lot of empty space.  Now, I don't want to spend another truckload full of money, but I want more guns.  I want to get into purchasing some surplus / vintage stuff.  I don't know anything about it, but I want to get some reasonably priced guns.  Any advice / suggestions would help.

I have two ranges on my property, one is a 55 yard handgun range in the woods (think hickock 45) and the other is a 200 yarder into a berm in a cleared field.  I recently decided to put my self defense eggs in the AR-10 basket and so .308 is the preferred caliber for me for long guns.  9mm is what I have the most stocked up for handguns, but .45 would be ok too.  I already have a 1911 (Kimber Custom) so I'm not really shopping for a vintage 1911.  I'll get a Colt later on. 

I have an FFL here that charges $25 to receive a shipment if you're a veteran.  Best price down here, its about half of what Bass Pro or any of the other places charge.  Surplus/vintage that I'm interested in initially:

- Makarov:  I know, 9x18.  Would have to buy yet another caliber of ammo.  But there are some cheap Makarovs and they have an interesting history

- Enfield

- Henry

- Barretta 92F: Before any of you go to Tractor Supply and buy chicks so you can raise them until they are old enough to lay eggs just so you can throw them at me - I'd like to own a 92F, just because that was our issued firearm.  I can't shoot it worth a shit and its heavy as hell, but - personal nostalgia.

Related note - I'm not really familiar with any surplus/vintage dealers so that info would be appreciated too.  Please don't say Buds.   

CMP program M1 Garands or M1 Carbines (they might have Enfields as well). You can pick up some nice shooters if they are available.

ATIS 

11 hours ago, filthy_liar said:

If you're looking for "issued-accurate," you want the Beretta M9, not the 92F[S]. Both are available and they are different.

On 12/13/2022 at 5:22 PM, filthy_liar said:

- Barretta 92F: Before any of you go to Tractor Supply and buy chicks so you can raise them until they are old enough to lay eggs just so you can throw them at me - I'd like to own a 92F, just because that was our issued firearm.  I can't shoot it worth a shit and its heavy as hell, but - personal nostalgia

I’ve become a real Beretta 92 fan over the past 5 years, but not in the classic factory configuration. My current favorite handgun is the 92 Elite LTT model with a trigger job. Essentially a M9A1 model with some key mods that make it awesome, but it probably won’t fill your desire for nostalgia if that’s your goal. I would recommend a few mods for any M9 to make it a much more pleasant shooting experience.

LTT (Langdon Tactical) teamed with Beretta about five years ago to release a limited edition M9 LTT. This was a stock M9 commercial model with the following improvements: 

• Florescent Orange Front Sight Dot
  • Blacked out rear sight
  • "G" Levers(De-cock only)
  • "D" hammer spring(lighter trigger)
  • LTT Exclusive slim VZ grips
  • Steel trigger
  • Oversize Mag Catch

In addition, I’d add the LTT trigger job in a bag to the list of upgrades. These all turn a standard M9 into a much more enjoyable shooter without significantly changing the look of the pistol (pic attached).

Just something to think about before buying a pistol you don’t really like and might not shoot much. It really changed my view of the 92.

Link to the 92 Elite LTT

https://langdontactical.com/92-elite-ltt-full-size/

FB19E95B-E2A7-483F-B423-6F6DA9B31527.jpeg

7EF5935F-8E66-4B9C-816B-E5D9F7E114AA.jpeg

Edited by Shaft34

On 12/16/2022 at 8:02 PM, Shaft34 said:

I’ve become a real Beretta 92 fan over the past 5 years, but not in the classic factory configuration. My current favorite handgun is the 92 Elite LTT model with a trigger job. Essentially a M9A1 model with some key mods that make it awesome, but it probably won’t fill your desire for nostalgia if that’s your goal. I would recommend a few mods for any M9 to make it a much more pleasant shooting experience.

LTT (Langdon Tactical) teamed with Beretta about five years ago to release a limited edition M9 LTT. This was a stock M9 commercial model with the following improvements: 

• Florescent Orange Front Sight Dot
  • Blacked out rear sight
  • "G" Levers(De-cock only)
  • "D" hammer spring(lighter trigger)
  • LTT Exclusive slim VZ grips
  • Steel trigger
  • Oversize Mag Catch

In addition, I’d add the LTT trigger job in a bag to the list of upgrades. These all turn a standard M9 into a much more enjoyable shooter without significantly changing the look of the pistol (pic attached).

Just something to think about before buying a pistol you don’t really like and might not shoot much. It really changed my view of the 92.

That is very cool, thanks for sharing.

On 12/3/2022 at 1:57 PM, M2 said:

$850 hard.

Send it!  I just had my plane out in Houston, need to swing up your way next time.  About to close on my compound and need to add to the collection.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Send it!  I just had my plane out in Houston, need to swing up your way next time.  About to close on my compound and need to add to the collection.

Going to shoot it next week.  I'll let you know...

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, HeloDude said:

Once again, the ATF gets called out on their unconstitutional bans.  Hopefully the FRT is soon to follow.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-appeals-court-strikes-down-ban-bump-stocks-2023-01-07/

The ATF and New York have had some major kicks in the nads issued by SCOTUS the past few months, I hope the trend continues.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, StoleIt said:

This is a good thing, even if it temporarily sucks for those living in IL (though they can always move, which would be smart).  I imagine this will be immediately challenged, especially with the Bruen SCOTUS ruling, and should be eventually overturned.

Maybe SCOTUS will say enough is enough and hold the lawmakers in contempt.  There has to be some recourse to punish those that are passing laws they know will get struck down, but are just doing it to make life miserable for law abiding gun owners in the meantime.

• Like 1

I've been thinking about this off and on.....(."on" being after yet another shooting..) In another life I was required to carry 24 hrs a day..except at home...Never really gave me much comfort and was truly a PITA..and if you needed to pull that rascal...you better have some tin flashed right along with it...The only time I really no kidding pulled it was at night ..of course....and had the hammer coming back ...and the front sight swimming between the eyes of...a good guy...The only other real close one ..I had a riot gun...and just the muzzle up against a noggin got the proper attention..dude spread eagled his own self with nary a twitch...never pumped a round in.   The last time I "carried" was in the box and I never bothered to load that old .38 revolver for safety reasons...As kids...all of our dad's were WW-II vets....they maybe had a deer rifle or a shotgun or the ever cool Samurai sword..My old man was in heavy combat..the wife's great uncle started in Normandy to VE day....The last thing they wanted or needed was some battle rifle ....A 30-30 for deer and a 12 bore...possibly a souvenir pistol...Now what do we have...A 6 yo shooting a hole in his teacher....a platoon sized herd of well armed "rangers" who ..I dunno...lacked motivation to move on one bopper with an Armalite.  I'm convinced that this whole gun nonsense is driven by television watched by impressionable viewers who are essentially clueless...I once reached into the pocket of an upstanding citizen and pulled out a snubby revolver...good thing I wasn't a mugger..Which leads me to a last point...An armed citizen introduces a deadly weapon into a situation that is many times weapon free.  Exactly what happened to a compadre and his partner...Chasing an unarmed dirt bag with pistols drawn...dirt bag got ahold of one of the pistols..both fatalities...

What's happening in Oregon and Illinois is concerning.  To HD's point, even if it is gimmick that they know will get struck down for now, it is still conditioning people.  Just like the Green New Deal, just like the ban the gas stoves/ovens nonsense.  That stuff gets in people's heads and starts to normalize politicians know that.  The republicans do it also of course - the consumption tax gimmick that they are taking for a test drive is not going to pass right now.  But it gets people thinking and eventually someone will campaign on it and then all of a sudden America wakes up one morning and the banning of "assault" rifles and high capacity magazines doesn't seem so shocking.

To go the other way, we wake up and all of a sudden killing the income tax and to a large extent the IRS doesn't seem so shocking.  To me the difference is, one is taking away liberty from me and the other is (for me personally) giving me more control over how much money I hand over to the govt.

• Upvote 1