Gun Talk

VL-16

Anyone who wants to protect their gun rights might want to watch a very important case Caniglia v. Strom that the Supreme Court of the United States has decided to hear.

It is a bit complicated but in short a married couple had a dispute and the police asked the male homeowner to come outside and talk, he did so voluntarily.   During the conversation the police determined he needed a mental evaluation so they took him into custody and in for a mental evaluation.  While he was being taken to the hospital a police supervisor ordered other officers to enter his home and seize his weapons, without a warrant.  He was assessed by a doctor and it was deemed he was not a threat so he was immediately released.  The police refused to return his weapons for several months.  Big implications for both the 2nd and 4th amendments. 

Police confiscating and refusing to return weapons happens frequently.  With background checks making a case by case decision whether somebody can keep and bear arms, red flag laws, and stealing weapons over situations such as this we are already in a bad situation even without the new gun control laws that are being sought by the new administration.

I hope heads roll on that one, unbelievable. And the “lesson” they’ve taught, again, is don’t trust the police. That’s an invalid lesson and not applicable to 98% of cops, but shit like this makes people wholesale distrust all cops. I’ve always had positive interactions with police and appreciate they’re service to the community, but no matter how nice one is, they will never be allowed in my house, vehicle, etc. unless I have no legal choice.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-03-24/9th-circuit-appeals-court-panel-rules-states-may-restrict-open-carry-guns

TLDR:  Plaintiff in Hawaii was denied a concealed carry permit under Hawaii law in 2016 which went to 9th Circuit who upheld the lower court ruling that he was SOL.

So he applied for an open carry permit.  Which this ruling denied.  So, no 2nd Amendment right for him.

The 9th Circuit has now decided that there is no constitutional right to carry a gun outside the home for self-protection, placing the court in direct conflict with other circuits and strengthening the chance the Supreme Court will step in and decide the issue, Beck said.

And I have zero faith that the Supreme Court will take this on.  Thanks John Roberts!

But I really hope they do.  Let's settle this once and for all.  And God help us if the decision is that there is no such "right."  

81XW43esNRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by brickhistory
  • Like 2

Just another sign of the path our country is on, the Harris administration just filed a friend of the court brief in favor of warrant-less search and seizure.  It blows my mind that anyone could read our Constitution and even remotely recognize our current government as being derived from it other than the most basic structure.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/supreme-court-considers-police-leeway-without-warrant-11616620768?page=1

• 4 weeks later...

SBR Form 1 took about 3 weeks from submission to approval through eForms. I’m shocked the gov could do anything that quick. All that to say the paperwork was a bit of a PITA to get together, but overall not too bad and totally worth it! Now to shoot this thing and hope it doesn’t blow up in my face (first AR I’ve completely built myself). 

• Like 3

I was just going off the average time from the NFA tracker (mine is in an NFA Trust). Personally it’s been 3 months so far, but I’m expecting it to be another 6 months. Stamp was cashed about one month after F4 filed. Naturally I’ll get my can right in the middle of winter when it’s too damn cold to want to shoot. 

Edited by brabus

On 4/28/2021 at 6:11 AM, brabus said:

SBR Form 1 took about 3 weeks from submission to approval through eForms. I’m shocked the gov could do anything that quick. All that to say the paperwork was a bit of a PITA to get together, but overall not too bad and totally worth it! Now to shoot this thing and hope it doesn’t blow up in my face (first AR I’ve completely built myself). 

Update on it blowing up and pics? 

Didn’t blow my fingers off! No video yet (the wife rolled her eyes at me when I told her to come out back and take a video), but shoots great. Now I feel the need to build another one...AR-10, why wouldn’t I need one? Can’t wait for the suppressor. 

2B695A5A-8279-4814-A50C-F17E2E10C470.thumb.jpeg.cfe2a74454bd31c60058cbda9f17006d.jpeg

• Like 2

On 2/6/2021 at 4:16 PM, ClearedHot said:

Anyone who wants to protect their gun rights might want to watch a very important case Caniglia v. Strom that the Supreme Court of the United States has decided to hear.

It is a bit complicated but in short a married couple had a dispute and the police asked the male homeowner to come outside and talk, he did so voluntarily.   During the conversation the police determined he needed a mental evaluation so they took him into custody and in for a mental evaluation.  While he was being taken to the hospital a police supervisor ordered other officers to enter his home and seize his weapons, without a warrant.  He was assessed by a doctor and it was deemed he was not a threat so he was immediately released.  The police refused to return his weapons for several months.  Big implications for both the 2nd and 4th amendments. 

Boom!  9-0 against.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/supreme-court-unanimously-rebuffs-biden-administration-warrantless-searches-handguns

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TreeA10 said:

9-0 is pretty freaking amazing regarding guns. Did not see that one coming. 

Agreed.

Although I don't think the crux of the case was guns necessarily, but the overreach of the state being upheld by the 1st District.

If it were purely a firearms thing, I suspect it wouldn't have been a shellacking.

Either way, not gonna look good on the DOJ lawyer/department that wrote/argued the amicus brief in defense of this BS.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 8:30 PM, HeloDude said:

Still has to go through their reconciliation process since they’re different bills.  Unfortunately I wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t happen before the session ends...hope I’m wrong.

Looks like Texas Constitutional Carry might actually happen…

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/05/20/texas-constitutional-carry/