Gun Talk

VL-16

Just store it with an off-base classmate.  You don’t want to deal with SF.

Second this. A while back at Sheppard personal firearms were being taken out of the armory by SF and used on the range then returned without being cleaned.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

2 hours ago, Duck said:

Second this. A while back at Sheppard personal firearms were being taken out of the armory by SF and used on the range then returned without being cleaned.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Well that's just... shitty. Sounds like I'll be looking for somebody off base that has a safe, thanks for the heads up.

I thought residents of on-base hosing (no, that's not a typo) are allowed to keep firearms in their residence as long as they're registered with Security Forces?  Check whatever base you are going to for it's policy.

If you have to leave a weapon in the armory (never a good idea but may be the only option), put your own trigger lock on it.  In fact, since only the receiver is technically the "firearm," consider removing the upper (if an AR) or other internals (if any other type of rifle) or barrel if a pistol.  Nothing says you cannot keep gun parts in your residence, just complete firearms!

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, M2 said:

I thought residents of on-base hosing (no, that's not a typo) are allowed to keep firearms in their residence as long as they're registered with Security Forces?

Usually true for family housing; usually not true for dorms.

• 2 months later...
On 9/9/2019 at 2:10 PM, iRobot said:

God bless Texas! Best Country on the planet!

I'm a day late in posting this... 

But on 29 Dec 1845, The Great State of Texas allowed America to join it.  

You're welcome.  

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

It's time for a new gun safe, boys. Liberty or Champion seem to be the way to go based on my limited research. What do you guys recommend? Pros/cons? Any considerations that might not be so obvious?

1 hour ago, Royal said:

It's time for a new gun safe, boys. Liberty or Champion seem to be the way to go based on my limited research. What do you guys recommend? Pros/cons? Any considerations that might not be so obvious?

We have what is an otherwise good gun safe similar to both of these manufacturers with one major weakness.  The electronic lock.  It always fails, is difficult to reprogram/change the batteries and it an leave you locked out for hours or days if its behaving weird.  Would recommend the old school mechanical lock as they never fail and can't be bypassed without deep knowledge of how the safe works.  

• Like 1

For those of you smart on California compliant weapons...

what are your picks for:

- AR-type of gun

- full-size handgun for the house (not a 1911). 
- concealed carry. 

All must be American-made. 

Edited by HuggyU2

Holy shit, I almost forgot about this thread.  This was a recent acquisition while under quarantine (which I broke to get it!)...

IMG_6639.JPG

And before anyone gets excited, that M1 Carbine is a non-firing replica from Modelgun Company (MGC) and allegedly used in the TV series Walker: Texas Ranger although the guy I got them (I have a second one) from had no provenance to support that claim.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

what are your picks for:

- AR-type of gun

- concealed carry. 

Full-size - M&P 9.  Mine is in 9mm (17 + 1 capacity) but they have .40 and .45.  I went with 9 so wife could handle it (sts).

Concealed carry - switched from Springfield (US company, Croatia manufacture) XDS in .45 to S&W Shield in 9mm, again to match what wife carries and the fact that the .45 XDS is a snappy sumbitch and I'm not getting any younger.  After a box of 50 at the range, I was done with it for the day.  Whereas with a 9mm, it's 200 + per session.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

what are your picks for:

- AR-type of gun

- concealed carry. 

If I had to live in CA, i'd opt for an Fightlite ARES SCR lower with your choice AR upper. Any Remington 1100 stock will fit. Been thinking of getting one just because I have a few refinished 1100 stocks in my garage and I think it looks pretty f'n cool for a CA compliant AR. Made in USA. (at the Orlando-Melbourne, FL international airport to be exact). Fly in and check em out.

https://fightlite.com/

CwbTQB4.jpg

JJFU-Nomad-Califas-002.jpg

Edited by torqued
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2020 at 10:03 PM, HuggyU2 said:

what are your picks for:

- AR-type of gun

- concealed carry. 

An 80% lower and don't tell anyone.  Only half kidding.  

On 5/11/2020 at 2:14 PM, Royal said:

Check out this website.  https://gunsafereviewsguy.com/  Definitely some things to be aware of before you buy a safe. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody have a holster recommendation for a Springfield hellcat with a streamlight TLR-6 and rmr? Looking for an appendix carry with an extra mag (similar to trex arms sidecar or LAS concealment ronin). Havent had any luck yet so its starting to look like I will have to go the custom route. 

28 minutes ago, TotableMink said:

Anybody have a holster recommendation for a Springfield hellcat with a streamlight TLR-6 and rmr? Looking for an appendix carry with an extra mag (similar to trex arms sidecar or LAS concealment ronin). Havent had any luck yet so its starting to look like I will have to go the custom route. 

If you're really set on the "Sidecar Type" holster I would go with Tier One Concealment. I carried in a Sidecar and Tier One holster for a few years but there's far more comfortable and concealable options out there. I've been using PHlster and Tenicor holsters for a my carry guns with lights for the last couple years and they're pretty bitchin'.

That SCR with a rifle length wood handguard would be pretty.  I'm envisioning a free float handguard that goes all the way out to the muzzle of a 16 inch barrel, kind of like a manlicher fore end.  You'd probably have to glue the wood to a fiberglass inner tube.

• Upvote 1

On 5/11/2020 at 7:03 PM, HuggyU2 said:

what are your picks for:

- AR-type of gun

- concealed carry. 

I’m super late, but I’ve been pretty happy with my Stag Arms AR-15. I gave the fixed mag a go, and the MeanLoader (https://www.meanarms.com/products/detail/ma-loader-for-ar15) hasn’t been terrible for it. Plus, I can have all of the furniture I’d like:

https://www.stagarms.com/stag-15/stag-15-firearms/stag-15-rifles/stag-15-tactical-rifle-16-in/

It’s also an easy fix for a gunsmith whenever I live in another gun-friendly state to make it a full, normal AR.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Grown kids got me a gift card to a fairly upscale gunstore/range/boutique (Gawd bless, Texas!) because they were lazy and it was Father's Day.  Beat the hell out of a tie.

Anyway, went on Sunday.

Absolutely amazed by how barren the cases were of nearly anything that went "bang."

Same for ammo in most calibers.

Asked a clerk if they were closing up shop and he said, "Nope.  Riots..."

The light clicked on.

Bought 3 x .44 special boxes and called it a day that concluded with grilling some of Texas' finest beef and some brown liquor...

Looking at the M1A Springfield SOCOM 16 model.  Anyone shoot one of these?  Own one?

Can you effectively use this weapon as a short close in fight gun...

Yes.... with a buttload of training.

Look I love my M1A but I’m realistic about what it is. It’s entirely too heavy to be a long walk through the woods hunting rifle, and entirely too heavy bang with low capacity to be a close in fight gun or provide rapid available firepower like an AR (especially in a caliber like 300blk). It’s a bench gun or a gun that gets stashed in a trunk until needed. And it’s need it fills is hammering rounds at a semi rapid pace in that 300-500 yard block.

The Socom is basically a really complicated/poor-method at making a designated marksman style rifle and you pay more for than an Archangel stock M1A precomp. It’s only advantage is “oh look how compact I am while still weighing more than any AR platform in similar performance.” It only wins a pro/con battle when it’s limited to other older style rifles (FAL, HK91, etc).

It’s a solid gun, and if you’re just getting it because its different and makes louder noises at a range than you would with an AR, go nuts. Otherwise get something else on the M1A line, and go into it understanding Springfield either makes a sub MOA gun or they don’t with every one that comes off the line. You only know for sure after you shoot a box through it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Smith & Wesson SD9VE

51IgaaT6iCL.jpg

(note:  not my photo)

With the current national shortage of both coins (why?) and guns (obvious as to why), one of these came my way due to a father-in-law deciding he needed a handgun for home protection in the midst of these crazy times.  He bought it at the Barksdale BX because A) it was all they had in stock B) he doesn't know much about firearms and C) it was all they had in stock.

I listed A) and C) above because I wouldn't choose to get this gun.  It's perfectly adequate.  But he wanted a pistol, this was all they had, so he took what he could get.

But then couldn't rack the slide due to arthritis.  

So after ensuring both he and mother-in-law could work the double-action, I traded him a S&W .38 for this.  And I think he got the better end of the deal, but if it gives them some peace of mind...

So, on to this pistol:

SPECS via S&W:

Caliber: 9mm
Capacity: 16+1
Safety: No Thumb Safety
Barrel Length: 4" / 10.2 cm
Overall Length: 7.2"
Front Sight: White Dot
Rear Sight: Fixed 2-Dot
Action: Striker Fire
Weight: 22.4 oz / 635.0g
Barrel Material: Stainless Steel
Slide Material: Stainless Steel
Frame Material: Polymer
Slide Finish: Satin Stainless
Frame Finish: Black

This model was introduced a fair few number of years ago. Even pre-M&P series, although the family resemblance is clear.
This was/is designed to be a very price point friendly basic defensive pistol.  

It meets the intended purpose.
The trigger is a loooooong pull and there are many reviews commenting on it, as well as trigger kits that can fix the problem.  I most likely won't be doing so as this is not likely to be a regular addition to the range rotation.

It's not a bad pistol.  Adequate white 3-dot sights.  Comfortable in the hand.  Magazines are good.  Too bad they aren't interchangeable with the aforementioned M&P9.  I would've liked that.

It's just...fine.  It went bang every time through 200 rounds (which is pretty scarce or expensive to find nowadays...).  It disassembles/reassembles fine.  Their are too many plastic internals for my taste - guide rod, etc., but that's how S&W kept the price so low.  With the exception of the current scarcity of any firearms, if you pay more than $300 for a new one, you need to look harder.

But it's new to me so it at least got a good going over (sts) at the range.  Not bad.  Not great.  Meh...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The wife is inquiring about a handgun. I started reading this thread... Again... From the beginning then gave up. Many links are now no longer valid.  So..

Suggestions for a pistol for the spouse? I have rifles, no handguns, and was also thinking of getting something for concealed carry for myself. I'd like to simplify logistics with coming magazines or maybe just caliber If feasible.