Gun Talk

VL-16

No lawyer here...

Generally speaking, it is illegal to convert a non-NFA rifle to a pistol. You wind up with a NFA-item at some point, by doing so.
Pistol conversion to a registered SBR is legal, as long as you get the stamp prior to the conversion (beware of "constructive possession" if you have more SBR length uppers than pistol lowers though--if you have rifle lowers and pistol uppers laying around, the ATF can charge you with possession of an unregistered SBR.)

Edited by raimius

Nope. But for an extra $200 I have a pistol length gas SBR. 8.5 inch 300 blackout and 10.5 inch 5.56 uppers.

I wish I'd gotten into NFA sooner. It's not as hard as it seems.

What info are you looking for?

Is your 10.5" upper pistol length too or is it actually carbine length? I've never seen a pistol length gas system on a 10.5" as the carbine length gas system is more appropriate for that length of barrel for a few reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

If anybody is interested in a Ruger LCP (who doesn't already have one), Lanbo's has them for $264 with reasonable shipping--about the best price I have ever seen.

http://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24_27_28&products_id=1271&referrer=CNWR_4191340829622

Old post dig up - just curious if anyone has any opinions on this gun.  I local guy wanted to sell one for less then $400 with the crimson laser and 3 clips, I think.  Seemed like a good price, and I think I am going to get another small 380 to carry around.   

I bought an LCP as a concealed carry piece several years ago. YMMV, but for me, the gun was entirely too small, even with the small grip extension I could only get about three fingers around it. Couple that with significant recoil & I wasn't a fan. The wife didn't like it either, couldn't control it. I ended up gifting it to my mother as a purse gun & she had much better luck with it. I carry an XDS .45 as my concealed carry & am much happier with it.

TL;DR - hands too big. Gun too small

So I was looking for a light/laser thingy for my Walter P99 9mm pistol.  I didn't realize it, but when I got it for a graduation present in 2004, it was "first gen."  The second gen, which came out shortly thereafter has a picatinny rail, whereas mine does not.  I dug pretty deep on the internet, even conversing with the two stores that used to sell a rail adapter for it.  One store said that he hadn't seen those adapters in 8 years, and his only suggestion was for me to get a machinist to make a custom adapter.  

Anyone have any other suggestions???  Why would they make (even if just for a year) a rail with nothing that could attach to it??   Thanks.   

Walther_P99_Comparison_grande.jpg

Lots of 1911 talk as of late but I need a new concealed carry weapon, something light and small but I have big hands, prefer to stay 9MM so I could toss it to the wife in a pinch.

Read good things about the Glock 42, but not a big fan of .380 for stopping power.

What are you guys carrying?

Edited by ClearedHot

Lots of 1911 talk as of late but I need a new concealed carry weapon, something light and small but I have big hands, prefer to stay 9MM so I could toss it to the wife in a pinch.

Read good things about the Glock 42, but not a big fan of .380 for stopping power.

TLDR: tried a bunch, bought the Shield

Just bought my first concealable handgun, after shopping around quite a bit. I'm a 69" dude with med-small hands, for what it's worth (I sound like a men seeking men ad).

Ruger LCP: way too small, can't hit anything past 10 yards and I hate the way it feels.

Glock 26/27: perfect, but as a skinny guy the double stack grip is too, um, girthy to conceal.

Glock 42/43 (the 43 is the same as the 42 but 9MM): same as the 26/27, but single stack. When Glock slimmed that part down, everything I loved about the feel went with it. Not a fan.

Walter PPS: Runner up...I like the mag release, but the recoil is slightly worse than what I got:

S&W M&P Shield 9: chose 9 over 40 due to cost of ammo and capacity. I love everything about this gun, grip, recoil, and reputation. The ONLY con I've found is that you can't field strip it without a screwdriver or a similar tool. There's a tiny lever inside the firing chamber that you have to move to take it apart. You can get it with/without safety and it includes 2 mags (8&7).

Very intrigued by the M&P Shield 9MM, I will be checking the BX this week, many thanks.

Brick, your S&W Model 4566 looks identical to my S&W 6906 which I have had and carried for many years.  Mine was also a police gun, my brother's duty weapon for a year before they switched over to the Glock.  It fits well in my big paws and I can drive nails with it, but it is a bit too bulky as a concealed carry weapon.

6906.jpg

I like the Shield, it feels good good, is easy to shoot/control, and accuracy is decent.  However, I think they have a material problem with their recoil spring assembly.  First, the end of the assembly that engages into the barrel is thin.  Mine bent, like in this sample picture I found on the interwebs.  Now, I think I bent mine during initial take down and reassemble, or it came that way from the factory as I hadn't shot it yet.  The directions say to make sure the thing is perfectly centered on the barrel.  Mine was probably off just enough to catch and bend.  I called S&W and I said recoil spring assembly and they asked for my address.  No issues since then, but I haven't done another take down yet either.  Second, and I haven't had any issues with this one, but the spring is a flat ribbon and is not uniform.  Some people don't like it. I haven't had any function issues.

In summary, it was a great deal, 10% off at the local BX, and no function issues with about 300 rds of Blazer Brass 9mm.  I haven't carried it yet, but that is the plan.  I'd love it they doubled the thickness of the metal to prevent bending.

Out

photo2.jpg

Regarding the first generation Walther P99 - they designed it in the mid-1990s so it was before the great Picatenny  wave swept the handgun world.  I'd think a competent gunsmith could make the change for you.  But you have a great gun in the P99.  If I had to pick only one of mine for some reason, my P99AS would be it.

For the CH's "looking for a 9mm" query - if you have/had the S&W 6906 and like it, consider a 3913 or 3914.  I love both of those and that would be my carry gun if I went 9mm.  I am a big guy with large hands and both 'fit' and point very well.  Very good, accurate guns.

I also just picked up a S&W Chief's Special 9 (CS9).  Not enough rounds through it to write a report - as well as waiting on some new Big Dot sights to see if I like that set-up - but for fit, carry, controllability, and concealment, it shows a lot of promise.

I am getting really old-school the older I get and like metal guns over polymer.  Once I get where I can't handle the .45 in the XDS, I will go to 9mm in one of these S&Ws.

Speaking of which, no mention/consideration of the XDS - either original or Gen2 - in 9mm for your search?  I really like my XDS for that purpose.

I bought the Glock 42 for the wife. I wanted to get the XDS but she preferred the feel of the Glock and the mild recoil of the .380. I ended up loving the gun and carry it more than her. It's small in my hands without the mag extender but with the extender it's more comfortable. We've put about 500 rounds of shitty ammo through it, accurate and only one round jammed, and I blame the cheap ammo. I would have preferred the 9mm 43 but they didn't start selling it until a few months after we bought the 42. 

I have a Glock 26 and 19 and have shot a 43 that I rented at the range, I wear size 10 gloves for reference.  I couldn't get a solid two handed grip on the 43, but it is very thin which would be nice for carry and it isn't a range toy anyways.  That said the recoil wasn't bad or anything, just wasn't fun to shoot.  I can get a decent grip on the 26 with the pinky extender deals, but given the referenced girth if I was to do it all over again I'd skip the 26 and just have the 19 as it isn't much of a weight difference.

May have to try out a Shield though.

Springfield XD mod 2...only 2 tenths wider than the XDs, but double stack, so lots more Ammo.

Cap-10

• Upvote 1

Glock 30S in a N82 tactical holster.  If you want an even smaller gun in 9mm check out the Shield, XDS, or Ruger LC9S Pro, all of which are excellent choices.