Gun Talk

VL-16

Does anyone have any input or stories about the Smith and Wesson .38s that were Air Force standard before the M9? Is there any value in buying one for the sake of heritage/nostalgia/collecting/shooting? I've read good things so far about the M15 online, just want to see if this a worthwhile addition or to look elsewhere. I already have a couple handguns, but one more...

Does anyone have any input or stories about the Smith and Wesson .38s that were Air Force standard before the M9? Is there any value in buying one for the sake of heritage/nostalgia/collecting/shooting? I've read good things so far about the M15 online, just want to see if this a worthwhile addition or to look elsewhere. I already have a couple handguns, but one more...

The police/USAF M15 (.38) and police/FBI M19 (.357) have a little bit of nostalgia value, but the sheer number of them produced means short of being a mint gun that value addition is in the tens of dollars. About the only ones that seem to com,and any money for that era are the shortie detective/chief model .38s and .357s.

I've got my dads old M19 which both him and his father carried at one point or another as a deputy. It's become a family heirloom but it's still a shooter. They are very fine guns though they lack some of the more modern ergonomics of a true shooter pistol. Grips are of more of the old style peacemaker shape that seemed to carry through on revolvers so they make good slow fire target guns but won't give you some of the rapid fire control of a more modern gun but that's pretty much true of any mid 50s-80s revolver.

If you can pick one up and you've been looking to add a .38 to your collection you could do far worse. Me I'm partial to the heft on the M19 over the M15.

Edited by Lawman

I want one!

Homemade 12 Gauge Revolver? Apparently the Weapon of Choice for Brazilian Drug Dealers…

12saa.jpg

Most gun owners in the American market were pretty impressed with the Taurus Judge when it was first introduced. The ability to fire .410 shot shells in a handgun certainly seems to appeal to quite a few buyers in the US.

However, Taurus didn’t stop there. In Brazil, Taurus released the 28 gauge Tracker revolver (which is illegal in the US due to arbitrary regulations).

Alas, even that kind of hand cannon wasn’t enough for one Brazilian drug dealer who was reportedly caught with a homemade 12 gauge revolver back in 2011.

My wrists hurt just from thinking about the recoil that this beast must produce.

Notice the full size, semi-auto Taurus for a size comparison.

12asaa.jpg

If something like this was ever deemed legal in the United States is it something you would be interested in owning?

Looks like Jay Leno sold out to the progressive gun control movement and recently cancelled his upcoming SHOT Show appearance. I wonder if Leno will sell all of his guns and get rid of his armed security guards...because you know, the children and stuff.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/393062/update-jay-leno-pulls-out-shot-show-speaking-gig-charles-c-w-cooke

• 2 weeks later...

Modern FG42. It looks like they will be making a reproduction of the late model FG42, and they are entertaining the idea of making a modern variant of it as well.

www.smgguns.com

https://www.full30.com/video/cbd7a17a8918455ec9bc00fa2cfb09fa

https://www.full30.com/video/f33231c7bbff5febfcc8d6d1ff6d9f44

Edited by Timbonez

After delivering over 600,000 M9 pistols to the DOD and on the heels of being awarded a new contract for up to 100,000 M9s, Beretta USA announced today the presentation of the M9A3 to the US Army. The M9A3 introduces major improvements to the M9 that will increase the operational effectiveness and operational suitability of the weapon. The improvements include design and material enhancements resulting in increased modularity, reliability, durability, and ergonomics. They are being submitted via an Engineering Change Proposal (ECP) in accordance with the terms of the current M9 contract.

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/beretta-usa-presents-next-generation-handgun-to-the-department-of-defense/

It looks like the grip from a vertec and the rail from the 92A1/96A1. I wonder if they use the buffer and recoil spring/guide rod from the 92A1/96A1. If so, that would make those parts incompatible with every other Beretta 90 series gun with slide mounted safety (other than the 90-Two, 92A1, and 96A1). It would also not make it possible to use the slide or frame of those pistols on other Berettas, like legacy M9s or M9A1s. The vertec grip, rail, and night sights with dovetailed front are good changes. Interesting to see what comes out of the handgun competition next year.

Edited by Timbonez

It's damn near 2015...is it too much to ask for an ambi slide lock?

Hey Sig Saur's answer to all am I questions is "fuck off and learn to shoot right handed."

I'd settle on most guns for a safety and mag release.

What's wrong with 9mm? Service/duty handgun calibers are poor at incapacitating individuals unless you shoot them in the CNS, and even that isn't a guarantee. Ball ammo, whether it's 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, etc., is a poor choice of ammo, so switching to a larger caliber really only affords you less ammo, more expensive ammo, and a heavier recoiling weapon. 9mm is the more logical choice for a large armed force (mil, LE). Modern hollowpoint technology has bridged the gap between the common service calibers, unfortunately the military proper doesn't use them.

As an individual, carrying any of the aforementioned calibers in a modern hollowpoint works, but it still doesn't change the fact that a larger caliber bullet provides less capacity, is more costly, and is generally harder to shoot for most people.

http://soldiersystems.net/2014/09/25/fbi-9mm-justification-fbi-training-division/

Edited by Timbonez

Conan like 9mm...

Conan carry .45...

All things being equal, I'll take a bigger hole (sts).

Yep, we all know it's about shot placement, vital organs, sepsis, etc. etc.; but as the FBI concluded in its wounding study, all things equal the advantage will always be to the biggest bullet!

"Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet!"

• Upvote 1

Yep, we all know it's about shot placement, vital organs, sepsis, etc. etc.; but as the FBI concluded in its wounding study, all things equal the advantage will always be to the biggest bullet!

"Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet!"

That's why I always concealed carry my trusty M1 Bazooka

That's why I always concealed carry my trusty M1 Bazooka

Laugh, but in Texas it is legal to conceal an AK-47 pistol if you have a CHL.

That's 30 rounds of 7.62x39!

You just have to be within 20-25 yards of your target to have any chance of hitting it!

Ironically, in Texas, it's also illegal to open carry an AK-47 pistol, but it's legal to open carry an AK-47 rifle.

Hopefully not much longer, our governor-elect Greg Abbott has publicly endorsed open carry and several bills are being drafted to allow it...

Anyone know of a good holster for a Draco? :violent-smiley-017:

Hopefully not much longer, our governor-elect Greg Abbott has publicly endorsed open carry and several bills are being drafted to allow it...

Anyone know of a good holster for a Draco? :violent-smiley-017:

He should just issue an executive order for it not be enforced...problem solved!

• 2 weeks later...