Gun Talk

VL-16

Probably, I just think they'd do better make a true 1911 as you said. I just don't see the .380 being that "popular" at the moment outside of the pocket pistol genre. It's still tough ammo to find, and while better than nothing, there are better choices out there!

Like I said, I have a .380; but that fact wouldn't drive me to buy another one!

To each his own, I guess...

They're probably jumping on the .380 bandwagon. Concealed carry has exploded over the past several years, and .380 is one of those "popular" ccw calibers. I'm not necessarily saying people are going to buy a .380 1911 for carry, but if they already have a .380 firearm, buying another gun in the same caliber makes sense. FN/Browning needs to make a true 1911, and I would like to see them make a reduced size 9mm version.

As long as we're on the subject, any feedback one way or another, on the Glock 42 in .380? I know there were some problems about a year ago when they first came out but that seems to be fixed now. Informal YouTube research says its a decent gun but wanted to hear what you guys had to say. M2? Anyone else?

EDIT: Me not spell so good.

Edited by Stitch

What's the reasoning behind .380? It is the same diameter as 9mm...so why not just go 9mm?

Actually, the .380 is known as the "9 short" outside of the US. It was designed for early blowack pistols which lacked a locking mechanism for the barrel. That simplifies (and reduces the cost of) manufacturing and improves accuracy as the barrel can be permanently mounted to the frame. It really gained popularity with the introduction of the Walther PPK.

While somewhat popular as a self-defense round, it lacks penetration outside of close ranges. While I wouldn't want to be shot by one, I also wouldn't consider it sufficient as a primary carry weapon. I think most people carry one because most pistols that use it are lightweight with manageable recoil.

What's the reasoning behind .380? It is the same diameter as 9mm...so why not just go 9mm?

Thinking small size frame, easy concealed carry. Not looking to get into a gun fight of course, just have ability to throw a few rounds in the bad guys direction and haul ass out of a bad situation. Have a 1911 just looking for something a little different for the heck of it.

.380s are fun to shoot and back before the ammo drought, reasonably cheap.

Now it's one of the more expensive pistol rounds around. If you can find it.

I have three .380s.

Walther/S&W PPK/S - James Bond gun (actually he used a PPK in .32). Minimal recoil due to steel mass. Looks cool. Jam-o-matic

Walther PK380 - light, reliable, easiest semi-auto to rack I've ever used (could be important to those with small hands or arthritis or the like). Has been reliable. Have used it for a basement area 'ready' gun before. Kinda cheap looking to me.

Browning BDA - nearly the same as the Beretta Cheetah/84. Looks great. Big, clunky solid gun, no recoil. Believe the Dutch (?) used them as a police sidearm for a long time.

In the day, .380s were great for concealed carry due to size. Now, certainly 9mms are as small.

Heck, my XDs in .45 is nearly identical in size to the PPK/S. .45 acp in a palm-size CCW?

Yes, please!

• Upvote 1

Heck, my XDs in .45 is nearly identical in size to the PPK/S. .45 acp in a palm-size CCW?

Yes, please!

The XD-S in .45 is a great pistol, I am amazed at how well it shoots and how comfortable it is. The only reason I don't carry it on a regular basis is because I can do so with my XD-45 which has over double the capacity and shoots even better! The Springfield XD/XDM line is awesome!

Bought an M&P shield to replace my P7 as a semi auto carry gun.

I don't think I could find a mo'betta option of small & light while staying rugged, and in a caliber I already owned in bulk.

The thing is tiny, and I can hide it in just about any type of outfit or weather I would want to carry. Also came with two different mag options so if I really need to make it small in shorts and a tshirt I can for the option of 7 instead of 8 in the mag. Still one more than my S&W .38 and same profile but skinnier.

Shoots pretty well, though not spectacular like the P7 but at nearly 1/2 the weight and the fact it's a close quarters option only really that doesn't bother me.

Just bought XDs 9mm 3.3".....LOVE IT!

Added the Pearce Magazine Extensions as well.

Cap-10

Have the .45 version, it's a great pistol.

But the 4" feels nose-heavy to me, would like to shoot one to see how it does.

Bought an M&P shield to replace my P7 as a semi auto carry gun.

I have shot the XDS in 9mm and the Shield, both in 9mm and .40. Though the XDS in 9mm feels and shoots well, I would go with the Shield in 9mm, now that they came out a version that doesn't include a manual safety. The Shield in 9mm is a little lighter in weight, shoots just well, if not better, and is also a quite a bit cheaper than the XDS. The Shield in .40 is a nice carryfirearm, but of course the .40 has quite a bit more recoil for that size of a pistol.

As for the .380 debate, to me it makes sense if you want a small pocket carry, like the LCP--doesn't get much easier to carry and satisfy the first rule of a gun fight. But if you're not going with something small like the LCP, then I see no point in having a .380...with the small exception that it might be a better option for people who are very sensitive to recoil (even in 9mm). I would rather my wife carry a pistol in .380 than nothing at all. I have shot the Glock 42 in .380 and personally wasn't a fan. I am much better with the LCP, though if I shot the Glock more I'm sure my shots would group a lot better, so to each their own...again, if recoil isn't an issue, why choose a .380 if not in a small pocket carry? I'm looking forward to the single stack Glock in 9mm, but unless a person is a pure 'Glock or nothing' kind of a guy, I think the Shield and XDS more than serve the purpose.

Good discussion!

Walther/S&W PPK/S - James Bond gun (actually he used a PPK in .32). Minimal recoil due to steel mass. Looks cool. Jam-o-matic...

He switched to a PPK/s in .380 ACP in Skyfall. I have one of the new PPK/s in .22lr. Super fun to shoot, but the double action is nearly impossible.

If you are a Beretta fan, PSA is selling Beretta 92S Italian police trade-ins... http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/18370/s/beretta-92s-italian-police-trade-in-s-9mm/?utm_source=PA-10+.308+Railed+Uppers%2C+Beretta+92s+Only+%24289.99+%26+More&utm_campaign=Constant+Contact&utm_medium=email

Pretty good deal here:

1K rounds of Wolf Gold (brass) .223 for $275 and only around $14 for shipping. And to sweeten the deal, they ship it in an ammo can (used, but still those around $10-15 as well). One of the best deals I have seen on .223 in several years. If you don't have several thousand rounds stocked up for your AR's then you'll be wishing you did the next time there's an ammo scare.

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/wolf-gold-223-ammo-ammo-can.html

Has anyone noticed that in the initial assignment briefing for PCS that the AF now wants you to tell them the make, model, caliber and serial number of every gun that you own? Seems fishy...

I always assume that they only need that info if they are moving my weapons for me...which I never let them do.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

I always assume that they only need that info if they are moving my weapons for me...which I never let them do.

I'm going to go back and look at what it said exactly, but I'm pretty sure it stated that it wanted you to give the info if you are personally transporting your firearms to your next duty location. HeloDude, definitely not PCSing to Cali. Not going to NY, Mass or Illinois either.

Has anyone noticed that in the initial assignment briefing for PCS that the AF now wants you to tell them the make, model, caliber and serial number of every gun that you own? Seems fishy...

They offered that at my CA base. Said it was good to know because anything ever happens at my off base house, they need to know what's inside.

Take that as you will...I didn't give them the info.

I'm going to go back and look at what it said exactly, but I'm pretty sure it stated that it wanted you to give the info if you are personally transporting your firearms to your next duty location. HeloDude, definitely not PCSing to Cali. Not going to NY, Mass or Illinois either.

They can "want" all day long...

• Upvote 2

They offered that at my CA base. Said it was good to know because anything ever happens at my off base house, they need to know what's inside.

Take that as you will...I didn't give them the info.

WTF? That is the worst excuse I've ever heard. They have no f^&*ing right to know what is in your "off base home". We're in the military, NOT Nazi Germany. I don't remember seeing anything like this anywhere the last time I PCSed. It feels like part of an "agenda" to me. Or maybe I'm just paranoid.

• Upvote 2

I figured, man. It was sarcasm of course. To be somewhat fair, Illinois has actually gotten a little less sucky (assuming you're not in Chicago)--but I still would never choose to live there.

You can always tell them 'GFY' by not telling them anything.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I had that paperwork too when I PCS'd to McChord, they gave me some excuse about wanting to know what weapons I was moving. Like the naive LT. I was, I filled it out, however, when I arrived on station I realized that paperwork was in the folder I was going to be handing to MPF. So I removed it before it inproccessed with my new base. They don't know what they don't know.

ETA: I believe the current NDAA prohibits the military and commanders from asking about firearms possession unless they are concerned about mental health issues.

Edited by Fuzz

Thought this was pretty cool. My son is a High school Junior and his class is holding a raffle. The prize? A rifle and scope, 308 Cal. How many schools nowadays would let the kids raffle off a gun? Me thinks not too many.

Edited by arg

I figured, man. It was sarcasm of course. To be somewhat fair, Illinois has actually gotten a little less sucky (assuming you're not in Chicago)--but I still would never choose to live there.

You can always tell them 'GFY' by not telling them anything.

All you need to know about is Illinois is they will do anything for a dollar. The entire FOID thing is a tax without calling it a tax. Same with the CCW. Supreme court says they they have to offer CCW...so what do they do? Charge $150 for in res and $300 for out. All about the $!

But, FOIDs are free for military and you can snag the 8 hour CCW class instead of the 16 hour (2 day) for Active/Retired/ARC guys. Baby steps in the right direction for my state.