Gun Talk

VL-16

For you 1911 lovers out there, I found this video on how Colt makes their 1911s. Until a few years ago everything was done on machines from the first half of the 20th century. Now it's a combination of CNC machines, old school machines, and some hand fitting. These are just their production guns as the custom shop guns with have even more hands on attention. The dedicated semi-custom/custom shops will beat out anything that's built on a production line (Colt included), but it's my firm belief that Colt makes the finest production 1911 bar none.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psOgqSIHPEM

I am hoping this will be the answer to my dreams...

CLEO Requirement to be Discontinued

...Clearing the CLEO requirement off of Forms 1 and 4 has been approved by the DOJ. The revised Forms are being laid out and sent to Office of Management and Budget. They'll examine the proposed regulations and forms change and open the proceeding up for public comments. When that process is completed, they'll approve the printing run and disseminate the forms...

The downside?

"Since there's a federal hiring freeze and the number of examiners will not increase, the increased applications will likely expand the time needed to get completed forms back from ATF/NFA."

So a longer wait to get the forms and tax stamps processed, but at least guys in my situation will be able to submit! :mosh:

Cheers! M2

Well, it figures, I get a little good news; then some ass hat has to shit on my parade!

I had a Arsenal SLR-101SB lined up to buy from a dude a couple of hours away for a meager $550, then he suddenly goes comms out on me. I finally hear back from him this morning saying he sold the rifle locally. Fucking asswipe! I had douchebags like that!

Just had to vent. I was quite excited about getting a milled Bulgarian AK at a decent price, now it isn't happening. Fuck! :bash:

I love my MP 15-22! Great gun to take out on the range, practice fundamentals, and just a great gun to have fun plinking--and what's best--it's cheap as hell to shoot.

IMO, there's no need for a kid to have any special optics on his 22. Teaching the fundamentals just don't require them, besides, he'd be better off getting his son another 22 (pistol) and work on those fundamentals as well.

Speaking of .22 pistols, check out this new guy I just bought! Been eying one of these for the past 2-3 months and finally saw a good price and bought one today--should be delivered next week to my FFL. I'm definitely a S&W fan and this will allow me to work on drills at a much cheaper cost. Plus when I take a new chick out to the range, it will be easier for her shoot than one of my .40's.

Helo (and everyone else) thanks for the posts...of course he found a great deal on the MP-15 at the BX and the kid got all the bells and whistles to go with the new toy. His choice....

About your .22 pistol, I bought the Walther P-22 for the very same reason. I like it but don't love it becuase it is finicky as hell. Lots of bad loads, slide gets stuck and a lot of misfires. Let me know how it shoots becuase I think going to replace the P-22 for a better functioning .22 pistol.

Helo (and everyone else) thanks for the posts...of course he found a great deal on the MP-15 at the BX and the kid got all the bells and whistles to go with the new toy. His choice....

About your .22 pistol, I bought the Walther P-22 for the very same reason. I like it but don't love it becuase it is finicky as hell. Lots of bad loads, slide gets stuck and a lot of misfires. Let me know how it shoots becuase I think going to replace the P-22 for a better functioning .22 pistol.

I also have the P-22 and using Winchester/Remington bulk stuff does make it stutter. CCI stuff works like a charm. Several thousand rounds through mine using the zippier ammo and it chugs along just fine.

Not trying to dissuade you from the M&P .22 (I have in 9mm and it's the sh1t!), but the P-22 is a good gun if fed properly.

I also have the P-22 and using Winchester/Remington bulk stuff does make it stutter. CCI stuff works like a charm. Several thousand rounds through mine using the zippier ammo and it chugs along just fine.

Not trying to dissuade you from the M&P .22 (I have in 9mm and it's the sh1t!), but the P-22 is a good gun if fed properly.

I'll have to try the CCI, I've pretty much used bulk stuff so that certainly could make a difference. There is also literally thousands of web pages of people making small dremmel and sand paper mods to the the P-22 and having it work like a champ but not sure if I trust myself to do somthing that can't be fixed should I mess it up. I love the idea of the P-22 and even with the issues its improved my shooting dramatically because the amount of rounds I can put through it without having to feel like I'm going broke.

Edited by Catbox

Shipped yesterday, hopefully arrives at the FFL by the end of this week, and in my hands at the range Sat or Sun. I haven't shot a .22 pistol in years...so long that I can't remember the last time, might have been in college. The reviews looked really good and I'll be happy to give a range report afterwards. S&W puts out a quality product IMO, so I doubt there will be any issues.

Now if only Kel Tec would stop being a crappy company (via a business point of view) and produce more KSG's so I can get my hands on one without paying double the price on gunbroker.

I'm looking to get a rilfe but can't decide between an AR or an SKS with a new stock and a 30 round mag. Any thoughts? Is one better than the other. I know SKS are a hell of a lot cheaper but are ARs built better or more accurate?

What is it that you want to do with the rifle?

On a different note, it looks like Rock River Arms is back in the 1911 game. This time around it does't look like they'll be making semi-custom 1911s, rather it's a polymer frame production gun. The picture of the pistol looks well executed and it actually looks like a real 1911. http://www.handgunsmag.com/2012/01/18/new-handguns-from-the-2012-shot-show/

Remember if you take an original SKS and replace the stock, you then have to ensure that enough other parts are replaced with US made ones so it is 922r compliant. Lots of people don't, but if you go out "bore" (sic) hunting and run into a Federal law enforcement officer of any type, you could have issues because of the modification to the rifle.

As for "chinese invasion insurance," hell they'll probably bring more Samozaryadnyj Karabin Simonova rifles with them as if I am not mistaken, they have produced more than any other country in the world!

If i get it at cabelas shouldn't it already be 922r compliant or can the sell non-compliant rifles?

If you buy it in original condition it is OK, but if you make any modifications to it then you need to ensure it is 922r compliant.

If it has already been modified, it should be 922 compliant.

Cheers! M2

I'll have to try the CCI, I've pretty much used bulk stuff so that certainly could make a difference. There is also literally thousands of web pages of people making small dremmel and sand paper mods to the the P-22 and having it work like a champ but not sure if I trust myself to do somthing that can't be fixed should I mess it up. I love the idea of the P-22 and even with the issues its improved my shooting dramatically because the amount of rounds I can put through it without having to feel like I'm going broke.

Had zero issues with CCI mini mags through my Sig Mosquito, and a few FTEs with Federal Bulk. Stick with high velocity rounds and you'll be set. AAFES typically has sales on both P-22s and Mosquitos.

What's up everyone, I just purchased my second handgun. I have had a full sized Ruger P85 MKll for a few years now. I really wanted a CC weapon. After some searching I finally decided on the Walther P99C. I haven't had the chance to take it to the range yet, (hopefully this weekend) but the size is perfect for CC. I ordered from Buds after the local pawn shop gave me the run around.

Anyways, the gun was New and came with 2 back-straps, 2 clips, extra pair of sights, and a lock. Like I said, I love the way this gun feels in the hand and cant wait to get it to the range Saturday.

I also included a picture of my P85 for size comparison.

post-6963-0-23516100-1327024084_thumb.jp

post-6963-0-08136600-1327024160_thumb.jp

post-6963-0-26698700-1327024209_thumb.jp

For you 1911 lovers out there, I found this video on how Colt makes their 1911s. Until a few years ago everything was done on machines from the first half of the 20th century. Now it's a combination of CNC machines, old school machines, and some hand fitting. These are just their production guns as the custom shop guns with have even more hands on attention. The dedicated semi-custom/custom shops will beat out anything that's built on a production line (Colt included), but it's my firm belief that Colt makes the finest production 1911 bar none.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psOgqSIHPEM

Awesome video, but they missed about 20 "so to speak's" starting at the 4:50 mark.

Edited by Gyreaux

What's up everyone, I just purchased my second handgun. I have had a full sized Ruger P85 MKll for a few years now. I really wanted a CC weapon. After some searching I finally decided on the Walther P99C. I haven't had the chance to take it to the range yet, (hopefully this weekend) but the size is perfect for CC. I ordered from Buds after the local pawn shop gave me the run around.

Anyways, the gun was New and came with 2 back-straps, 2 clips, extra pair of sights, and a lock. Like I said, I love the way this gun feels in the hand and cant wait to get it to the range Saturday.

I also included a picture of my P85 for size comparison.

I have the S&W model of that. I love it for plinking esp with the mag with the extended grip. Never had a problem. I had trouble finding a good holster for it though, let me know what you come up with

I'm looking to get a rilfe but can't decide between an AR or an SKS with a new stock and a 30 round mag. Any thoughts? Is one better than the other. I know SKS are a hell of a lot cheaper but are ARs built better or more accurate?

Buy an M-1 Garand!

http://www.odcmp.com

Just bought my first one, and I love that rifle.

I have heard that AMSEC safes are about the best value, but I ended up getting a Browning from the local dealer for a great price with free delivery (friend of mine). One thing I like about the Browning is the ability to store about 8-10 rifles on the door. Also, the max capacity number listed isn't very practical...the guns will be all jammed in there and not accessable. The things to consider, beyond price, are the gauge of steel used in the body & door, and the type of fire protection material used (gypsum board or some sort of concrete fill). You need to find the right balance between cost, construction, fire protection, and capacity that works for your set up. Take into account any delivery fees too, these suckers are HEAVY.

I'm look at purchasing a gun safe and the biggest thing that's coming to mind is the PITA they may cause with a PCS. Have any of you had any issues PCSing with a particular safe? Any recommendations for one? I've heard Zanotti's are decent simply because they can be disassembled and reassembled when moving. http://www.zanottiarmor.com/features.htm Thoughts?

I've got a Zanotti and I like it a lot. I bought it expressly for ease of moving and because I don't know the floor plan of my next houses. I don't want to get a safe that works in this house and next time I have to leave it in the garage.

Assembly took two guys, but was easy overall. Make sure you ask for their military discount. As always, buy bigger than you think you'll need - you'll magically fill it up.

I have a 26 gun fire safe that I actually bought with PCSing in mind so the movers couldn't steal my guns. It's heavy, but manageable by two people. I've moved it twice and movers have moved it once. The movers had no problem with it even though it was full of my guns. I emptied it before loading on and off the truck (to include the fire-proofing sheet rock-- I wouldn't do that again - not worth the 50lbs it saves), but still needed a friend to help. The only problem I have had is that with my current house, I couldn't get it down the stairs due to a tight turn, so its sitting in a corner of the garage instead of the basement. I would buy it; not only do you protect the guns you own from fire/crime, but think how bad you would feel if you found out some dirtbag stole one of your guns and used it to kill some family. The few hundred bucks and trouble moving it every three years is well worth it to me.

Edit: Agreed with Nunya on buy bigger. It may say its a 26 or whatever gun safe, but you'll fill it up. And even if you don't load it to capacity, it's a lot easier to get to your 10th gun in a 26 gun safe than your 10th gun in your 12 gun safe.

Edited by Smokin

Quick range report from this weekend after shooting my new M&P .22 Pistol:

I got the gun a few days after ordering from KYGunCO.com (great price by the way at $360, not including FFL) and right away way saw that it was packaged like any other S&W--hard case, typical rope lock included, etc. Doing the inspection at my FFL, she definitely looked sharp--just like a full size version of my MP40c. I've read not to dry fire it, but I did a couple of times just to make sure there weren't any obvious issues.

Took her to the range this weekend and loaded it with Remington 36 grain, 1280 FPS hollow points (on sale a couple months ago and works well with my M&P-15-22). Shooting at my outdoor range at 7 yards, right out of the box, it worked flawlessly. Sights were dead on and I was getting some nice, tight groupings. The gun felt great in my hand, and needless to mention, had little felt recoil. The slide locks back to the rear after the last round--this is my first .22 pistol, and since I hadn't shot a .22 pistol in over 14 years, I could remember if most .22 pistols do or not lock to the rear after the last round (the Ruger LCP does not). With the help of my buddy, ended up putting about 100 rounds through it without a single failure. My friend was also very impressed and talked about getting one so that he can better teach his girlfriend how to shoot.

Bottom line, if you couldn't already tell--an awesome .22! Definitely a solid purchase if you're looking for a .22 to train with and save money when shooting. My only complaint is that the gun only comes with 1 12-round magazine. I've looked online for more mags, but since the gun just came out last summer, they're few and far between.

My first 'range report'...hope it helps!