Gun Talk

VL-16

Another great story...:rock:

Cheers! M2

Family Reunited With Father's Lost WWII-era Rifle

HARBORCREEK -- A Japanese World War II Arisaka Type 99 rifle usually fetches $200 to $300 on the gun market.

But one with the name "Bill Bucklin" carved into it is worth a lot more to a local family. It's a lost-and-found story that begins 66 years ago on the other side of the world.

Back in 1945, Bill E. Bucklin was a young marine fighting at Iwo Jima in one of the most pivotal battles of World War II.

Like many soldiers, Bucklin collected enough guns and other keepsakes to fill a duffle bag. Bucklin made it back to his home on the lower east side of Erie later that year. The bag didn't.

When he would tell his eight children about the experience years later, Bucklin would leave out the most gruesome parts of the war. But that lost bag would become a family legend.

(Click on title for the full story)

Well, the feared ATF study on the importation of certain shotguns came out today; I wonder how this is gonna affect the Saiga-12...

Following this review, the working group determined that certain shotgun features are not particularly suitable or readily adaptable for sporting purposes. These features include:

(1) Folding, telescoping, or collapsible stocks;

(2) bayonet lugs;

(3) flash suppressors;

(4) magazines over 5 rounds, or a drum magazine;

(5) grenade-launcher mounts;

(6) integrated rail systems (other than on top of the receiver or barrel);

(7) light enhancing devices;

(8) excessive weight (greater than 10 pounds for 12 gauge or smaller);

(9) excessive bulk (greater than 3 inches in width and/or greater than 4 inches in depth);

(10) forward pistol grips or other protruding parts designed or used for gripping the shotgun with the shooter’s extended hand.

Although the features listed above do not represent an exhaustive list of possible shotgun features, designs or characteristics, the working group determined that shotguns with any one of these features are most appropriate for military or law enforcement use. Therefore, shotguns containing any of these features are not particularly suitable for nor readily adaptable to generally recognized sporting purposes such as hunting, trap, sporting clay, and skeet shooting.

Each of these features and an analysis of each of the determinations are included within the main body of the report.

Dang, I knew I should've bought one earlier! :bash:

Cheers! M2

(1) Folding, telescoping, or collapsible stocks;

(2) bayonet lugs;

(3) flash suppressors;

(4) magazines over 5 rounds, or a drum magazine;

(5) grenade-launcher mounts;

(6) integrated rail systems (other than on top of the receiver or barrel);

(7) light enhancing devices;

etc...

... the working group determined that shotguns with any one of these features are most appropriate for military or law enforcement use.

Yes...who would want a light on a weapon they intend to use for home defense...you know...since most break-in's happen in broad daylight and stuff.

Following this review, the working group determined that certain shotgun features are not particularly suitable or readily adaptable for sporting purposes. These features include:

I didn't realize the Second Amendment specified this.

ETA: Oh and I agree with what stoleit2x said.

Edited by Timbonez

T-bonez

Naw, I'm still debating whether to pick up a FPK in blonde or brunette; or the SBR my Draco. I have a set of "almost black/really dark plum" handguards and pistol grip set from Armory USA inbound that may send me down this road...

dsc00218ec9.jpg

But I am still considering going the AIMR route with a sidefolder.

I may regret the decision one day, but I'm not sweating this ATF study for now...how about you?

Speaking of guns, I'm still liking your avatar!

Cheers! M2

Thanks! I like her too. I'm not too concerned about shotguns personally. I own one Remington 870, and I think that's good enough for me. My gun interests lie with Hi-Powers, 1911s, and AR-15s... oh and I'm really enjoying the Glock 17 I bought.

That's a sweet setup. You should definitely SBR the Draco.

Edited by Timbonez

I'm not too concerned about shotguns personally. I own one Remington 870, and I think that's good enough for me.

Yep, got a Mossberg 500 Persuader; it's all I need in a shottie!

That's a sweet setup. You should definitely SBR the Draco.

Yeah, it's the $200 tax stamp that's slowing me down more than anything. If it weren't for that requirement, I think I'd own several SBR'd Dracos...

Cheers! M2

A 1911 guy openly professing love for a Glock, what is the world coming to.....

Welcome to the wonderful world of it goes bang every time. You should look into a Glock 34, that fucker is magical.

Yes, now that I own a Glock again I have no soul.

OK gentlemen, I've decided on purchasing my first handgun and I'm looking for some input. I've been doing my own research but any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Looking for something just to keep around the house and take to the range occasionally. Trying to stay around $400 or below, want 9mm, compact or full-size, new, reliable and easy to shoot.

Ideally I'd like to someday own the following: Sig P226 NSW, Beretta 92fs INOX, WWII vintage 1911. Right now these are all out of my price range so the decision is to either buy something cheaper now or wait and save.

I've narrowed it down to the Sig P250, Kahr CW9, Ruger P95, or Sig 2022. Others I have considered but ruled out are the Glock 17 (doesn't feel good in my hand) and Springfield XD9.

:beer:

OK gentlemen, I've decided on purchasing my first handgun and I'm looking for some input. I've been doing my own research but any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Looking for something just to keep around the house and take to the range occasionally. Trying to stay around $400 or below, want 9mm, compact or full-size, new, reliable and easy to shoot.

Ideally I'd like to someday own the following: Sig P226 NSW, Beretta 92fs INOX, WWII vintage 1911. Right now these are all out of my price range so the decision is to either buy something cheaper now or wait and save.

I've narrowed it down to the Sig P250, Kahr CW9, Ruger P95, or Sig 2022. Others I have considered but ruled out are the Glock 17 (doesn't feel good in my hand) and Springfield XD9.

Go with what feels good in your hand and is ergonomic to operate. Slide the slide, drop the mag, etc. before you buy. Also, if you want a Beretta 92FS consider this. It doesn't meet your "new" criteria, but the things are built like tanks and often more reliable used than some guns are new.

Go with what feels good in your hand and is ergonomic to operate.

I agree. I didn't like the feel of the glocks and ended up getting an XD9 subcompact and an XD45 service. Both are great guns, but I'd get whatever feels good in your hands (STS).

Wow, you ruled out the XD? Different strokes, I guess... :drinking:

You might want to check out Taurus, they've got a few 'Nines' that are pretty nice and well within your price range. I've got a PT111 (double stack) and a PT709 Slim (single stack) that are both BUGs but I trust them almost as much as my XD (which I love, but to each his own).

However, I would steer clear of the Beretta 92F, I hated carrying it while on active duty and it put me off 9mm pistols for years afterward. The damn thing is a pig and I couldn't stand the grip. It was only after I traded for the PT111 that I grew to like the round again.

Good luck with your search, I would recommend going to a gun show or shop and checking out a lot of guns before deciding.

Cheers! M2

Have you actually fired the Glock? Picking up a gun and saying it doesn't feel good in your hands isn't a really good data point. Ideally you would want to spend A LOT of time with a specific platform shooting it and and learning it's nuances. What makes it uncomfortable? Is it the size of the grip, grip angle, trigger reach, etc? If you still can't stand a Glock, look at the M&P9. It's a little more ergonomic in the grip area. You will be hard pressed to find a new QUALITY handgun at $400. The ones you listed as being interested in are more expensive than that price point.

Why do you want the SIG P226 NSW? MSRP is $44 more than a standard SIG P226 for an anchor on the slide.

Bought and shot my new HK P30v3 in .40 last week while I was back in the states and it is my favorite HK pistol yet.

It is my 3rd HK and 9th pistol. Not sure if it is my favorite, but definitely in the top 3. The other two favorites are my HK .45 Tactical and my STI Lawman with a 5in barrel (which is far superior to my Colt 1911, and doesn't hurt that it's made in TEXAS with the outline of the state on the right side of the slide.)

I would recommend any of these three to anyone, but for Soon to be E6B, I would definitely go with the Springfield XD in your price range.

edit: valid critique from Timbonez.

Edited by Longhorn15

I have found Bersa to be a trusty, reliable, cost-effective brand.

I have not shot their 9mm, but I use their .45 compact as my daily CCW.

Several thousand rounds through it, failures less than fingers on one hand.

It's all steel, so it's heavy compared to a polymer, but it's rugged as hell. Fair trade for me.

Bought and shot my new HK P30v3 in .40 last week while I was back in the states and it is my favorite pistol yet.

It is my 3rd HK and 9th pistol. Not sure if it is my favorite, but definitely in the top 3. The other two favorites are my HK .45 Tactical and my STI Lawman with a 5in barrel (which is far superior to my Colt 1911, and doesn't hurt that it's made in TEXAS with the outline of the state on the right side of the slide.)

I would recommend any of these three to anyone, but for Soon to be E6B, I would definitely go with the Springfield XD in your price range.

So which one is it?

The HK P30 is probably one of the most durable and reliable pistols to date. Sample group of one, but there are few that can match this linky.

I think it'd have to be...a 20mm would be pretty loud, don'tcha think?!?

On a different note, I had NameTags4U custom make some AK-47 morale patches for me just to see how they would turn out. Well, they turned out pretty damn nice!

IMG_4637.jpg

IMG_4641.jpg

The bad news is that because they were a "custom" job, getting more made up will still cost more (between $4.50-7.50 each, depending on the number ordered) versus what they normally stock (which are $3/each).

Since I only ordered three (the minimum order), I'd like to get more because I know my 13-yr-old is gonna snag a few of them; so if anyone is interested in "getting some" let me know, and I'll let you know if/when I decide to order more.

Cheers! M2