Gun Talk

VL-16

OK, so I'm faced with temptation. I don't really need a new hunting rifle and I don't really need a 7mm. But, I stumbled across a pretty good deal at the local walmart this morning. The have a Remington 700SPS 7mm, scoped, on clearance for $357 before the $100 mail-in rebate for $257 total.

It seems like a very good deal, and I've heard lots of good things about the 700. Like I said, I'm tempted.

7mm punches quite a kick, similar to a 300 Win Mag. You hunting larger game? As otherwise, you may want to consider something smaller, such as a .308 or even a .270.

Plus, price 7mm ammo...it ain't cheap!

Cheers! M2

Edited by M2
Spellin'

7mm punches quite a kick, similar to a 300 Win Mag. You hunting larger game? As otherwise, you may want to consider something smaller, such as a .308 or even a .270.

Plus, price 7mm ammo...it ain't cheap!

Cheers! M2

Yeah, but $257 for a Remmington 700 scoped, NIB is pretty damn good. I think I'd buy it.

Bought another gun today: Picked up a GSG-5

I didn't take any pictures, but here's a stock photo of a GSG-5 for those unfamiliar.

D462_4398_img.jpg

OK, I know this post was from a long time ago but I am going to go look at a Gen II GSG-5 this afternoon and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. I know about the ATF ruling on the barrel shroud on the SD models, and that the first generation ones had lousy stocks that would break; but from what I understand they are great little rifles. The seller has three mags for it, plus a delrin charging handle buffer and replacement push pins (not installed). It has less than 500 rounds through it and he's asking $350. I sent him the link to see if it was affected by the ATI recall and am waiting to hear back on that.

Cheers! M2

OK, I know this post was from a long time ago but I am going to go look at a Gen II GSG-5 this afternoon and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. I know about the ATF ruling on the barrel shroud on the SD models, and that the first generation ones had lousy stocks that would break; but from what I understand they are great little rifles. The seller has three mags for it, plus a delrin charging handle buffer and replacement push pins (not installed). It has less than 500 rounds through it and he's asking $350. I sent him the link to see if it was affected by the ATI recall and am waiting to hear back on that.

Cheers! M2

M2,

I have shot a couple of my buddies GSG-5's and they were a blast. One had the collapsing stock and another was fixed. I think that they said that you could get some air soft hardware that would fit it as well. For that price I would snag it. Especially since you can shoot 22 all day long and have a blast with it.

Cheers! M2

It's hard to go wrong at $350!!

That's a great price.

So I snagged it this afternoon, it was a little scratched up but otherwise appears to be in good shape although it could use a good cleaning.

The guy also threw in a collapsible stock and an extra barrel. It pretty much looks just like this:

c9c948bb.jpg

And most importantly, I ran the serial number via my Droid and it was not subject to the recall!

We'll most likely take it out to the range this next weekend.

Cheers! M2

p.s. I just remembered the seller also had a scope rail that he is going to give me, but he forgot it at home.

Well I finally got my last Nighthawk Custom 1911. Well I actually ordered it before the other two but there were some hiccups along the way. Here are some pics. I'm not good with lighting, but it's a black slide on a titanium blue frame, with black controls and alumagrips.

NHCTalonII001.jpg

NHCTalonII002.jpg

So all this talk about DIY AR's got me looking, and I don't get it. Looking at the pricing for parts, I can't find much of a price advantage over purchasing a pre-built gun. They both appear to be in the $850-$1100 range. Is there a compelling reason to build your own? Being such a simple gun, is it much different than stripping and reassembling an existing weapon?

So all this talk about DIY AR's got me looking, and I don't get it. Looking at the pricing for parts, I can't find much of a price advantage over purchasing a pre-built gun. They both appear to be in the $850-$1100 range. Is there a compelling reason to build your own? Being such a simple gun, is it much different than stripping and reassembling an existing weapon?

You're right. From what I've seen, there isn't much, if any, of a price advantage of buying parts over a pre-built gun -- as long as you're not picky about the details. Once you start customizing the rig, it saves a little as you can compare prices between vendors and not pay for baseline parts just to replace them with upgraded items.

Speaking of parts, does anyone have a good source for a competitively priced mil-spec M4 stock assembly, either in parts or as a kit? I need everything but a buffer, and I'm not finding much.

-9-

Edited by Nineline

So all this talk about DIY AR's got me looking, and I don't get it. Looking at the pricing for parts, I can't find much of a price advantage over purchasing a pre-built gun. They both appear to be in the $850-$1100 range. Is there a compelling reason to build your own?

Aside from the ability to build (for the most part) exactly what you want with little-to-no leftover unwanted parts, a lot of people experience a great deal of personal satisfaction in selecting their parts, assembling them, and using a rifle they "created". The folks who build from an 80% AR-15 lower receiver, and especially those who build from a 0% lower, definitely fall into the latter category. Neither method is cheap, especially if you don't have a mill or the skills to operate someone else's, but the personal satisfaction meter is probably off-scale high. I know mine would be...

Being such a simple gun, is it much different than stripping and reassembling an existing weapon?

Depends on how you buy your parts.

If you were to buy a complete upper receiver assembly and a complete lower receiver assembly, your assembly procedure would be to put the upper on top of the lower, and push the takedown pins in. Done.

If you bought stripped receivers and individual piece parts, you'd have significantly more assembly to do as compared to a field-stripped AR (and you'd need a few special tools), but it's not rocket surgery by any means.

Which ARs were you looking at specifically? There are distinct differences in quality from baseline, middle-of-the-road, and top tier AR-15s. Buying parts and building a top tier rifle for cheaper than buying a complete rifle in the same class is very possible. When you try to compare its price to a lesser AR, the lesser one will most likely win. You truly get what you pay for in the AR-15 market, with a few exceptions.

Edited by Timbonez

I was looking for a nice entry level AR and came across a smoking deal for this. Completely busted the budget and far from entry level, but buy once, cry once. Can't wait to get some time to get out and shoot this beast.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=lcfsr-556&cat=103&page=1&search=&since=&status=

post-4369-128215657616_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1969RPOL36

Noveske is one of the best choices, in a long list of choices, for an AR-15. One of the great things about Noveske is that you can order almost any custom feature on their rifle if you buy direct from them. Granted you will pay their MSRP rather than a gun shop's or online dealer's lower price point, but Noveske does offer a mil discount (10% or 15%, don't remember exactly).

That looks like their light carbine FSR, but with their older upper receiver. I see yours has a different flash hider than their standard vortex flash hider. Did you ask for a different one? I own one of their light carbine, basic W/VIS.

Edited by Timbonez

I am finally going to complete my AR. I have been sitting on a CMMG 16in Middy upper (STS) since December as I have slowly saved for a lower I like. I am ordering a Spike's Tactical M4 lower and BCM GunFighter charging handle Monday. My next commission check is going to a FailZero Bolt and Carrier Group then an optic later. I just need a good BUIS or carry handle and I can start shooting.

Edited by Vandal

We took the GSG-5 out (twice) over the weekend, on Saturday morning we just had too many failures which turned out to be dirty magazines; so I took them apart and went out shooting again Sunday morning. Reliability increased but is still not as good as I want it, so there's more work to be done; but it is a blast to shoot this little .22 carbine and over 200 rounds cost me about $10!

And accuracy isn't too bad, considering the barrel is only 16¼" long and the .22 is not known for staying on path in heavy crosswinds. At 25 yards both my son and I were able to keep the groupings within 3-4" with the folding stock and from a standing position. Not sniper accuracy by no means, but figuring it is just so much fun blasting through ammo that it's no huge concern.

Overall, despite the FTFs/FTEs the GSG-5 is still a great little shooter! The ammo is dirt cheap, there's little recoil if any, it's fairly accurate within reasonable distances and that damn thing is just awesome looking! I got the top rail and the buffer pad installed on Saturday, as well as the sling I ordered in the mail just for shits & giggles. Once I get a chance to work on it a little more, and fix the feeding/ejecting issues, it's probably going to be one of my most-used rifles for the range!

Cheers! M2

M2 glad that you liked it. Sorry you had some issues with it. All the ones that I have shot had zero issues. But is a blast to shoot through that much ammo and be so cheap. I have thought about getting one of the purpose build AR-15/22's just for that part. Plus It would give me a reason to do some modding on my 10/22 as well.

Shit!!!!! Just when ammo supplies/prices were getting back to pre-Barry Obama days.

EPA Reviewing reqest to ban Lead Bullets

Will Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lisa Jackson make a back door move to ban lead bullets the day before the November 2 elections?

Several environmentalist groups led by the Center for Biological Diversity (CBD) are petitioning the EPA to ban lead bullets and shot (as well as lead sinkers for fishing) under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA). Although EPA is barred by statute from controlling ammunition, CBD is seeking to work farther back along the manufacturing chain and have EPA ban the use of lead in bullets and shot because non-lead alternatives are available. But here's the catch: the alternatives to lead bullets are more expensive. A ban on the sale of lead ammunition would force hunters and sport shooters to buy non-lead ammunition that is often double the cost of traditional lead ammunition. A box of deer hunting bullets in a popular caliber could be upwards of $55.

Although the EPA could have dismissed the request due to a lack of jurisdiction, it is obliging CBD. The EPA has asked for public comment on banning lead in ammunition, and an EPA notice was published seeking public comment that closes on October 31. Jackson would then make a decision to accept or reject the petition on November 1. You might say that even considering enacting what is effectively a new tax on hunters and gun owners--seemingly the only non-liberal group the Obama administration hasn't yet intentionally provoked--is less-than-perfect timing for the already beleagured Democrats as the midterm elections approach.

The National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), a trade association for the firearm and ammunition industry, has hit back against the petition sending Jackson a letter documenting why EPA has no jurisdiction and outlining the damage that banning lead ammunition would do to U.S. industry and jobs, conservation, and law enforcement. The NSSF estimates that more than 90 percent of hunters and sport shooters use traditional lead ammunition. If all hunters were forced to buy non-lead bullets that are made out of metals like tungsten, bismuth, and copper alloys, demand could easily begin to outstrip the supply and prices would go even higher.

Bill Clinton famously blamed the NRA and gun owners for sweeping Democrats from control of the House in 1994 after he pushed them to pass the Assault Weapons Ban. For Democrats, especially those in rural and conservative districts that are already facing voters’ wrath, gun control could once again be an issue that helps defeat them and swings control of the House and perhaps even the Senate to the GOP.

Shit!!!!! Just when ammo supplies/prices were getting back to pre-Barry Obama days.

EPA Reviewing reqest to ban Lead Bullets

Will Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lisa Jackson make a back door move to ban lead bullets the day before the November 2 elections?

Several environmentalist groups led by the Center for Biological Diversity (CBD) are petitioning the EPA to ban lead bullets and shot (as well as lead sinkers for fishing) under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA). Although EPA is barred by statute from controlling ammunition, CBD is seeking to work farther back along the manufacturing chain and have EPA ban the use of lead in bullets and shot because non-lead alternatives are available. But here's the catch: the alternatives to lead bullets are more expensive. A ban on the sale of lead ammunition would force hunters and sport shooters to buy non-lead ammunition that is often double the cost of traditional lead ammunition. A box of deer hunting bullets in a popular caliber could be upwards of $55.

Although the EPA could have dismissed the request due to a lack of jurisdiction, it is obliging CBD. The EPA has asked for public comment on banning lead in ammunition, and an EPA notice was published seeking public comment that closes on October 31. Jackson would then make a decision to accept or reject the petition on November 1. You might say that even considering enacting what is effectively a new tax on hunters and gun owners--seemingly the only non-liberal group the Obama administration hasn't yet intentionally provoked--is less-than-perfect timing for the already beleagured Democrats as the midterm elections approach.

The National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), a trade association for the firearm and ammunition industry, has hit back against the petition sending Jackson a letter documenting why EPA has no jurisdiction and outlining the damage that banning lead ammunition would do to U.S. industry and jobs, conservation, and law enforcement. The NSSF estimates that more than 90 percent of hunters and sport shooters use traditional lead ammunition. If all hunters were forced to buy non-lead bullets that are made out of metals like tungsten, bismuth, and copper alloys, demand could easily begin to outstrip the supply and prices would go even higher.

Bill Clinton famously blamed the NRA and gun owners for sweeping Democrats from control of the House in 1994 after he pushed them to pass the Assault Weapons Ban. For Democrats, especially those in rural and conservative districts that are already facing voters’ wrath, gun control could once again be an issue that helps defeat them and swings control of the House and perhaps even the Senate to the GOP.

Don't worry. This just in

Petition denied

I still have several thousand rounds of .45 ACP that I stockpiled prior to the Obama ammo scare...

I'm pretty tight on 7.62x39 as well.

But like I always say, you can never be too rich, too smart, too good-looking or have enough ammo! :salut:

Cheers! M2

p.s. I cleaned the shit out of the GSG-5 earlier, and picked up 300 rounds of CCI Mini Mag ammo which is suppose to be the best for this carbine. I think this should reduce the problems I have been having, but it will probably be another week or so before I get to shoot it again as there is another gun show next weekend!