Gun Talk

VL-16

I am trying to talk a guy selling this locally down from $500...

8383248.jpg

Obviously, it's a WASR 10/63 with the donkey dong, sidefolding stock and one TAPCO mag. Original stock and lower hand guard included. He's saying <300 rounds down the pipe, sights are straight and the magazine locks up. It is 922r complaint with FCG (TAPCO G2? He didn't say), gas piston, pistol grip and muzzle brake.

I might just be overly giddy about Romanians because of my recent acquisition of a Draco; but since I don't see dropping $200 on a tax stamp in the near future to SBR it, I was hoping this would work in the interim.

Since it's a 10/63 it should have the beefier front trunnion and be marked with the Cugir Arsenal stamp. Don't know if it has a chrome-lined barrel or not, that'd be nice if it did.

So, talk to me, is it worth the asking price or should I hold my ground?

Cheers! M2

I am trying to talk a guy selling this locally down from $500...

8383248.jpg

Obviously, it's a WASR 10/63 with the donkey dong, sidefolding stock and one TAPCO mag. Original stock and lower hand guard included. He's saying <300 rounds down the pipe, sights are straight and the magazine locks up. It is 922r complaint with FCG (TAPCO G2? He didn't say), gas piston, pistol grip and muzzle brake.

I might just be overly giddy about Romanians because of my recent acquisition of a Draco; but since I don't see dropping $200 on a tax stamp in the near future to SBR it, I was hoping this would work in the interim.

Since it's a 10/63 it should have the beefier front trunnion and be marked with the Cugir Arsenal stamp. Don't know if it has a chrome-lined barrel or not, that'd be nice if it did.

So, talk to me, is it worth the asking price or should I hold my ground?

Cheers! M2

M2, you're the AK guru so you should know! The WASR 10/63s are the bottom of the AK barrel from what I hear. The canted front sight is an issue, as is trigger slap, and the quality isn't like an Arsenal. That said, they work and are reliable like the rest. If he says the front sight is straight, it might be worth a look. It's not worth $500, even with all that extra stuff. Ask if it's a GP 10/63. Those are supposedly made from demilled military rifles. I had a GP 10/63 that worked great, but I replaced the black plastic furniture with some Tapco stuff because the handguard would get too hot. I sold that to a friend, and even though he doesn't shoot it much, I don't think he has any complaints. By the way, I think all the WASRs are chrome-lined, but don't quote me on that.

ETA: Here is a GP-WASR 10/63 on Aim being sold for $410. You can do better than $500.

Edited by Timbonez

M2, you're the AK guru so you should know! The WASR 10/63s are the bottom of the AK barrel from what I hear. The canted front sight is an issue, as is trigger slap, and the quality isn't like an Arsenal. That said, they work and are reliable like the rest. If he says the front sight is straight, it might be worth a look. It's not worth $500, even with all that extra stuff. Ask if it's a GP 10/63. Those are supposedly made from demilled military rifles. I had a GP 10/63 that worked great, but I replaced the black plastic furniture with some Tapco stuff because the handguard would get too hot. I sold that to a friend, and even though he doesn't shoot it much, I don't think he has any complaints. By the way, I think all the WASRs are chrome-lined, but don't quote me on that.

ETA: Here is a GP-WASR 10/63 on Aim being sold for $410. You can do better than $500.

T-bonez

Yeah, I know the reputation WASRs have; but I also know a few guys who have had 'em that were good shooters. I may just be enthralled by the Draco, or just any AK in general (they are my latest infatuation); but I thought it would be nice to have one in the collection. I especially like the sidefolder stock, and I have an extra set of handguards I could throw on it as I am not a big fan of the DD forward grip.

Also, there is a lot of debate as to whether the 10/63s are any better than the standard WASR 10. Some say yes, others no; and there isn't even consensus as to whether the front trunnion is an improvement. All I know is that it caught my eye, and offered $450 contingent on inspecting the rifle; but I haven't heard back so the entire discussion may be moot; but I have no expectations of it being anywhere close to my Saiga or any of my Yugos, maybe just similar to the Draco.

I am not interested in a standard WASR 10, I see 'em at the gun shows all the time and even at under $400 I am not compelled to pick one up; but the real Bulgarian sidefolder (worth about $60, not including installation) and not that crappy TAPCO on, does appeal to me and if the seller ever gets back to me I still may try to talk him down a little further. If he bites, I most likely will snag it...

Cheers! M2

Another one for ya...

A Texan Without Fear

A Texan cruises thru a stop sign, and gets pulled over by a local policeman. The Texan hands the cop his driver's license, insurance card plus his concealed carry permit.

"Okay, Mr. Moore," the cop says, "I see you have a CHL, are you carrying any weapons today?"

"Yes, I am."

"Well then, tell me what you got."

Moore says, "Well, I got an .45 XD in my waistband holster, there's a 9mm semi-auto in my jacket pocket and I've got a .357 Magnum in the console."

"Okay," the cop says. "Anything else?"

"Yeah, back in the trunk there's an Russian AK-47 and a pistol-gripped shotgun. That's about it."

"Mr. Moore, are you on your way to or from a gun range...?"

"Nope."

"Well then, what are you afraid of...?"

"Not a damn thing!"

:rock:

Cheers! M2

Houston Store Owner Kills 3 Would-Be Robbers

HOUSTON -- Police say a Houston jewelry store owner has shot and killed three men who tried to rob his business.

Houston police spokesman Kese Smith says two men were in the store Thursday afternoon pretending to be customers when a third man burst into the store and stated, "This is a robbery."

All three men then pulled out pistols, tied up the store owner's wife and took her to a back room.

They were trying to tie up the owner, when he took a handgun from his waistband and fatally shot one of the suspects. Smith said he then grabbed a shotgun and shot and killed the other two suspects.

The store owner was shot in the stomach and taken to a Houston hospital. Smith says his wife was not hurt.

Hope he's not charged...in our neck of the woods a pharmacy owner is currently on trial for murder for killing an unarmed teen robber (whose partner was armed and escaped injury). This guys certainly got cojones for taking on 3 armed dudes.

Hope he's not charged...in our neck of the woods a pharmacy owner is currently on trial for murder for killing an unarmed teen robber (whose partner was armed and escaped injury). This guys certainly got cojones for taking on 3 armed dudes.

It's Texas, by law there will be a Grand Jury investigation and he will almost certainly be awarded a 'no bill;' meaning no charges will be filed.

I can't recall an incident where a law-abiding citizen defended themselves with lethal force and were charged because of it.

We don't put up with that kind of shit down here!

God bless Texas! texas.gif

Cheers! M2

Great job by the store owner.

What do you guys think of 425.00 for a Glock 26? I'm getting ready to close on a house here in Vegas, and I think my present to myself will be a new concealed carry gun and license.

Think that's about what I paid with the LE/Military price. Even better of deal if that is the BX price (no tax). I would say that it's not my most comfortable /concealable warm wx carry, but it works great in winter....of course your winters will be a little different in Vegas.

Kahr CW9. Fits my hand like a glove and it's slimmer (single-stack) which makes it easier to dress around. Your mileage may vary, but wearing bulky T-shirts or a Fat-Guy Hawaiian Shirt in summer to prevent my G26 from printing isn't worth it. Oh, and I carry IWB strong-side, just inside my hip. Of course you could always carry in a fanny pack.

6525Old-Men-Wearing-Fanny-Packs-full.jpg

Fack! I am having the worse luck lately! First, I had a great deal on a Navy Arms SKS Sharpshooter for only $225 out in Seguin, but suddenly the seller had another buyer looking at it and it was sold out from under me. Then, I had a line on a Taurus PT738 up in Dallas that the guy only wanted $200 for, but he was hesitant to ship it. I sent him instructions and a copy of my bud's 01 FFL, but someone offered him more money locally and he sold it. Lastly, the guy with the Romy 10/63 is completely ignoring my offer of $450 (which is still probably too high), and doesn't even give me the courtesy of a 'fuck you' reply!

There is this nice looking Khyber Pass AK clone with a triangular folding stock and sweet Russian Red furniture up north of Austin...

6841463.jpg

6914948.jpg

It includes four orange bakelite magazines and a Krebs enhanced safety which allows you to manipulate the safety with your right index finger. The dude wants $900 for it, which isn't a bad deal but more than what I want to spend on an AK right now...

Shit, at this rate I'm gonna have to spend my money on Christmas presents! :bash:

Cheers! M2

Kahr CW9. Fits my hand like a glove and it's slimmer (single-stack) which makes it easier to dress around. Your mileage may vary, but wearing bulky T-shirts or a Fat-Guy Hawaiian Shirt in summer to prevent my G26 from printing isn't worth it. Oh, and I carry IWB strong-side, just inside my hip. Of course you could always carry in a fanny pack.

6525Old-Men-Wearing-Fanny-Packs-full.jpg

Old Crow!

Good to see ya back, bud; I've missed your avatar! :rock:

Cheers! M2

I just went to my first gun show and fell in love with the 1911. I noticed a large variation in prices amongst the tables between Colt and Springfield and the others. I don't know too much about guns so I was hoping to get some insight on why the prices were so different (aside from the obvious pearl inlays and gold and what-not). Also, this is going to be my first firearm so I was looking to get some direction as to which type of 1911 is a better value.

I just went to my first gun show and fell in love with the 1911. I noticed a large variation in prices amongst the tables between Colt and Springfield and the others. I don't know too much about guns so I was hoping to get some insight on why the prices were so different (aside from the obvious pearl inlays and gold and what-not). Also, this is going to be my first firearm so I was looking to get some direction as to which type of 1911 is a better value.

There's more here that know more than me about 1911s. However, I have a few, and I'd steer you in the direction of the Springfield XD45, especially for a first gun. I believe it was M2's review/recommendation that led me to purchase it a few years back; glad I did.

Well I just got back from shooting my FN BDAO. This isn't a full up review like the SIG, but I just wanted to let you know that I put 448 rounds (45 were 147gr Remington Golden Sabers) without a single problem. That's not exactly true. I didn't seat the mag all the way once, so a round wasn't chambered after the first shot. Obviously that's not the pistol's fault. It was freezing at the range and I was in the shade. By the time I left it was 18 degrees with some wind blowing. Once I put some more ammo through it, I'll provide a thorough review. The gun won't be cleaned (maybe lubed... maybe) until I'm done with the testing.

Snizz, if this is your first gun I would suggest not getting a 1911. What are you going to use the gun for? I'm assuming it will be a personal defense weapon. For a first gun, I would recommend a Glock, M&P, or XD. These are all inexpensive, reliable, and have large support. Look for something in 9mm, as its cheap ammo (so you can practice a lot), proven, and they are light recoiling.

Since I would be a douche not to answer your question about a 1911, I would look at Colt, Springfield Armory. These two companies' frames and slides are consistently used by custom 1911 smiths for their builds. Don't go cheap, and if you're serious about using a 1911 as a defense weapon you need to make sure it's reliable by testing it a lot. 1911s are a little more finicky than other modern pistol designs. This probably stems from the fact that everyone and their mother makes a 1911. Not everyone makes them to the same exact specs. Prices are very different because of the quality of materials and craftsmanship each company puts into their product. Stick with Government sized 1911s. Anyway, look at the Colt Series 70 or a Springfield Loaded. I would also suggest you research a little more before diving into buying a 1911. Check out M1911.org and 1911 Forum. There is a lot of information to learn about a 1911. Your best bet would actually be a semi-custom or custom build. These are pricey, which is why I mentioned the others previously. Good luck with your search.

ETA: Forgot to mention that I own the following 1911s

3 Nighthawk Customs; Enforcer (Government), Talon II (Commander), and Talon IV (Officer)

2 Colts; Series 70 (Government) and Special Combat Government Carry (Government)

1 S&W; 1911PD (Commander)

Edited by Timbonez

I know this thread is almost a hundred pages long, but there is a lot of good 1911 info contained within it so I would advise going through it first before asking general questions...

That said, I have four Springfield 1911s and recommend them; but if this is intended to be a range/carry pistol then I agree with OC in that a polymer semi-auto such as the XD-45 would be a better first choice. They are more reliable and easier to maintain, lighter and have almost double the capacity (13+1 versus 7+1).

You can always add a 1911 to the armory down the road...

Cheers! M2

T-bonez

They've gone down to $850 but I am still waiting on actual info regarding the receiver, who built it, how many rounds, etc. before I trek up to north Austin to check it out.

I also sent another message to the guy with the 10/63 to see if he's willing to negotiate. I told him I was looking to buy the Khyber Pass one, maybe that'll get his cranium separated from his anal orifice!

Cheers! M2

Well, add another AK to the herd! I picked up the Khyber Pass clone today along with four Russian bakelite mags for $825...

Merry Christmas to me! :rock:

Cheers! M2

In a related story, Rep Hank Johnson is now worried Texas will tip over from the weight of M2's guns.