Gun Talk

VL-16

Beaver, I bought my Mk. III back in January and shot it stock until now. Like I said before, I had zero problems with it and it was a very well put together handgun. It went out Monday to Novak's and they got it Tuesday. Now it's time for the waiting game.

Smokin, I have a Comp M4s on one of my AR-15s, which works great. You got yours a lot cheaper than mine. I may have to buy another if they're that price.

The latest addition to the collection...a Savage Edge XP in .308...and a real bitch to find as they are quite popular right now...

SavageEdgeXP.png

Luckily, Bud's had them in stock for a few hours last night, so I jumped and got my order in. Just about $300 with shipping, and from all the reviews I've heard so far, it's a great shooter!

Sure, it's an entry level hunting rifle; but I wanted something good for 200-300 yards and this will do the trick. Plus, with .308 I will able to take down most anything in Texas, to include a chupacabra!

Hopefully it'll get to my FFL in a week or so. I'll post up a range report once I get a few rounds through it.

Cheers! M2

Edited by M2
Replaced pic

Slight change of plans: instead of the BHP I got a Smith and Wesson M&P9JG. Don't worry, mine's not pink. Through a pricing mix-up I got a hell of a deal from a local shop.

56004.jpg

While I was there I decided to go ahead and get the revolver I've been wanting. S&W 642CT.

S&W%20162524.jpg

The latest addition to the collection...a Savage Edge XP in .308...and a real bitch to find as they are quite popular right now...

Luckily, Bud's had them in stock for a few hours last night, so I jumped and got my order in. Just about $300 with shipping, and from all the reviews I've heard so far, it's a great shooter!

Sure, it's an entry level hunting rifle; but I wanted something good for 200-300 yards and this will do the trick. Plus, with .308 I will able to take down most anything in Texas, to include a chupacabra!

Hopefully it'll get to my FFL in a week or so. I'll post up a range report once I get a few rounds through it.

Cheers! M2

Funny, I was just checking out one of these at the local BX yesterday and noticed how attractive the price was. If I remember correctly, it was about $310 or so. You'll have to let me know how it shoots, as I sold my only bolt action years ago and have yet to replace it!

-9-

Cheers! M2

Interesting... Very tempting. Please post a range report after you take it out.

Edited by HU&W

Will do, but understand the first trip to the range will be focused on properly breaking in the barrel...50 rounds using the following procedures:

STEP 1 (repeated 10 times)

• Fire one round

• Push wet patches soaked with a powder solvent through the bore

• Push a brush through the bore (5 times in each direction)

• Push dry patches through the bore (2 times)

• Push wet patches soaked with a copper solvent through the bore

• Push a brush through the bore (5 times in each direction)

• Push dry patches through the bore (2 times)

• Push a patch with 2 drops of oil through the bore

STEP 2 (repeated 5 times)

• Fire a 3 shot group

• Repeat the cleaning procedure from STEP 1 after each group

STEP 3 (repeat 5 times)

• Fire a 5 shot group

• Repeat the cleaning procedure from STEP 1

I probably won't get an accurate idea of how she shoots until the second trip to the range.

Cheers! M2

T-bonez

That was straight from the Savage web site. Since most of my rifles have already been "broken in" (in such garden spots as Stalingrad :M16:), I'm pretty new to this.

And of course, there is another rifle catching my eye, a Savage Mark II BTVS .22 Rifle with Mueller Scope for sale for $475 on Texas Gun Trader...

6405150.jpg

8094934.jpg

6558717.jpg

If the seller is willing to negotiate on the price a bit, I might just drive up to check it out. I've been contemplating joining the Boerne Schuetzen Verein [shooting Club] which has been around since 1864. Only .22 caliber target rifles are used at the club, using standard velocity ammunition, so this should be more than adequate.

Last year I was out and about in the Jeep just south of Luckenbach when I came across the Grapetown Schuetzen Verein. I stopped and jawed with the folks there for a bit, and quite enjoyed watching them shoot. It was also a very festive environment, in true German fashion!

These clubs use the old German style of shooting from stair-stepped wooden ramps at a target 100 yards away. Most are from the mid-to-late 1800s, and at their peak at the start of the 20th century there were over two hundred; but now there is only about 20 throughout the state. The oldest, started in 1849, is just up the road from here in New Braunfels.

I think it would be quite a lot of fun to get my son and myself involved in one of them... :sniper:

Cheers! M2

M2,

Some food for thought, linky. McMillan is known for making stocks for the Marines' M40 rifles, and their TAC-50 was used by Canadian snipers to make the longest recorded kill at the time (2002). He mentions how the barrel break-in procedure is more detrimental than beneficial. Anyway, good luck with it.

T-bonez

Interesting article, and one more along the lines of what I subscribe to as I am not one of those clean freaks when it comes to firearms (which is why I mainly stick to old Soviet milsurp, the stuff that was designed with tolerances for lazy users!).

I work with a guy who got a DPMS LR-308 who forgoed (forwent?) the break-in process and he doesn't seem to be having any accuracy issues with his rifle...

I will ask the guy I am using as an FFL, as he builds ARs and knows his shit. Thanks for the "dissenting view," it would be a lot easier following it than that "break-in" procedure Savage proscribes...

Cheers! M2

I had a chance to "fondle" a new Springfield XDm-45 weekend before last, it's a very sweet pistol but I'm still not convinced it is that much better than my XD-45. I shot a XDm-40 a few months back and it's great, but again nothing that would sway me away from the "original" XD.

Now, if I were in the market for a new polymer semi-auto, then I would seriously consider it. As a matter of fact, I would put anything from the XD series ahead of everything else in the class; but most of that confidence comes from the outstanding experience I have had with my XD.

Did I mention I am a fan of the XD series? :rock:

Cheers! M2

Well, I have a XD-45 Service (4") and a Mossberg Persuader, the latter being a pistol-gripped pump-action shottie loaded with 3" magnum 00-buckshot shells, which I think is a pretty good set-up for self-defense either at home or out and about...

IMG_2219.jpg

Now, if I could only convince the Frau to let me get one of these, I'd be all set!

CopyofIMG_1754.jpg

:rock:

Cheers! M2

Barrel break-in is an interesting subject. Some do, others don't. In all reality most folks aren't good enough shooters to notice the difference because their skill (or lack thereof) or use of non-match quality ammo will mask any issues with the rifle. And most people will never shoot enough to wear out a barrel to the point the extra rounds and cleaning during break-in will really matter.

I'm still a big fan of the Smith and Wesson M&P. I really wonder why hardly any police departments/agencies use the XD?

BF

Barrel break-in is an interesting subject. Some do, others don't. In all reality most folks aren't good enough shooters to notice the difference because their skill (or lack thereof) or use of non-match quality ammo will mask any issues with the rifle. And most people will never shoot enough to wear out a barrel to the point the extra rounds and cleaning during break-in will really matter.

I'm still a big fan of the Smith and Wesson M&P. I really wonder why hardly any police departments/agencies use the XD?

BF

Agree with you (and T-bonez) on the barrel break-in issue, it's probably not necessary especially for someone like me used to old Soviet hardware.

As for police departments using the XD, there are a few that do; but I think Glock has locked that market in so tightly that it's tough for anyone to get in. There's nothing wrong with Glocks, I was a big fan until I discovered the XD; but since then I realized how much better the Springfield is!

Cheers! M2

So I'm here at San Antonio for about another 6 weeks for school and then on to Kirtland for a really long time for another school. Am I able to purchase a gun being from out of state? Also, where is a good place to go blast through some ammo (rental) here in San Antonio.

Nope, you cannot "cash & carry" a gun in Texas without being a resident or on PCS orders (unless it is a C&R and you're an 03 FFL). At best you can purchase and have it shipped to a FFL where you're going.

That’s Federal law, since technically you are not a resident of Texas; and don’t try get around it by buying from a private seller (Texas allows F2F transactions) as it is interstate commerce and requires an FFL. Get caught, and kiss your career goodbye!

But the large monthly gun show in San Antonio is this weekend (3-4 July), at the SA Event Center at 410 and Marbach. Doors open at 0900, get there early as parking is a pain in the ass! Some dealers at the show may be willing to ship a firearm that you purchase from them…

As for shooting, if you are up by Randolph than look into Bracken, Dietz or Cedar Creek ranges. There’s also a range on the SE side of town but the name escapes me at the moment. Stay away from the Bullethole if you can, that place is a clusterfuck and you stand a good chance of being accidentally shot by some of their “clientele.” You can also try Camp Bullis on the weekends (0800-1200), but call first (210-295-7577/7529) as the range is not always open and they will give you instructions on how to get to it. Oh, and the last time I was there a few weeks ago, they were still under a caliber restriction for rifles of .223/5.65.

Cheers! M2

p.s. Here's the link for Bullis

Nope, you cannot "cash & carry" a gun in Texas without being a resident or on PCS orders (unless it is a C&R and you're an 03 FFL). At best you can purchase and have it shipped to a FFL where you're going.

That’s Federal law, since technically you are not a resident of Texas; and don’t try get around it by buying from a private seller (Texas allows F2F transactions) as it is interstate commerce and requires an FFL. Get caught, and kiss your career goodbye!

But the large monthly gun show in San Antonio is this weekend (3-4 July), at the SA Event Center at 410 and Marbach. Doors open at 0900, get there early as parking is a pain in the ass! Some dealers at the show may be willing to ship a firearm that you purchase from them…

As for shooting, if you are up by Randolph than look into Bracken, Dietz or Cedar Creek ranges. There’s also a range on the SE side of town but the name escapes me at the moment. Stay away from the Bullethole if you can, that place is a clusterfuck and you stand a good chance of being accidentally shot by some of their “clientele.” You can also try Camp Bullis on the weekends (0800-1200), but call first (210-295-7577/7529) as the range is not always open and they will give you instructions on how to get to it. Oh, and the last time I was there a few weeks ago, they were still under a caliber restriction for rifles of .223/5.65.

Cheers! M2

p.s. Here's the link for Bullis

From the ATF FAQ:

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Might be worth checking with a FFL to see if you can do this. Some states have rifle/shotgun exemptions for residents of adjacent states which may help if you have PCS orders to NM. Agree on not doing an F2F sale as nonresident since ATF attention isn't generally a good thing.

Thanks M2. I'm actually on Lackland though. It looks like bulletholes is closets but apparently it sucks?

In that case, go to Blackhawk; it's a lot nicer.

However, if you must go to the Bullethole 'case they do rent firearms, try to go early on a weekday afternoon. Avoid weekends at all costs, and evenings can be bad if you're unlucky. But I consider the place to be a deathtrap, and I won't go there anymore...

As for purchases, this is the Texas penal code for interstate purchase...

§ 46.07. INTERSTATE PURCHASE. A resident of this state may, if not otherwise precluded by law, purchase firearms, ammunition, reloading components, or firearm accessories in contiguous states. This authorization is enacted in conformance with Section 922(b)(3)(A), Public Law 90-618, 90th Congress.

But that deals with Texas residents buying contiguous states, and dealers are pretty cautious about selling to anyone who doesn't have a Texas ID...

Oh, and since you are at Lackland, this weekend's gun show is about five minutes away from you!

Cheers! M2

Anyone ever shoot an FN 5.7? I was getting the serious upsale by a guy at the gun show. It felt pretty good, but a little on the high side of my $ range. I think I'm leaning to the S&W MP .45 right now, the guy said he'd make me a great deal on the FN. It just seams like a small caliber to me. I guess I need to do some reading.

Edited by slacker

Anyone ever shoot an FN 5.7? I was getting the serious upsale by a guy at the gun show. It felt pretty good, but a little on the high side of my $ range. I think I'm leaning to the S&W MP .45 right now, the guy said he'd make me a great deal on the FN. It just seams like a small caliber to me. I guess I need to do some reading.

I haven't shot the 5.7; but it definitely feels nice, like you said. I've got the 9mm MP, and I love it. Super fun to shoot.

Based on the ammo alone, I would go with the S&W. You can never, never, never go wrong with a .45. The 5.7 is still kind of an obscure round, and ammo may be difficult to come by down the road. The .45, however, will always be accessible. Not to mention you'll probably always pay a premium for the 5.7, making the .45 cheaper to shoot.

On top of that, the 5.7 isn't even as big as a .22 (at least in diameter).

Maybe you should just get a Kimber. Then shell out the extra cash for the .17 HMR conversion...Or maybe I'm thinking I should do that. Either way it's some food for thought.