Gun Talk

VL-16

Ah! Fingerprints... totally forgot to mail those.  That explains it.  Thanks for the link.  (the link just has it sitting there with no approval nor disapproval, just remembered looking at the instructions again that I hadn't mailed the fingerprints in)

12 hours ago, M2 said:

Also, keep in mind as the reticle is etched, in bright sunlight you have it to focus on (second pic).  The red dot on LPVOs is mostly for darker targets or conditions.

Good point. What zoom level were you on in those pics? Let us know how you like it after some range time. I’m so torn amongst a few of these!

11 hours ago, brabus said:

Good point. What zoom level were you on in those pics? Let us know how you like it after some range time. I’m so torn amongst a few of these!

1:1

1:8 is good out to about 600-650 yds, which is more than sufficient for me.  The reticle is a second focal plane, so it stays the same size at any distance.   Dialed out to the max, the illumination is still usable under darker conditions.  As a red dot at 1:1, it does the trick albeit slightly less so than a pure red dot.  For the AR it's on, it's perfect for my needs.

Plus, PSA has them on sale again!  For this weekend only, from $619.98 to $329.98 (with shipping but before taxes) using the discount code 'STRIKE'   

https://palmettostatearmory.com/vortex-strike-eagle-1-8x24-gen-2-riflescope-w-ar-bdc3-reticle-vortex-sport-cantilever30mm-ring-mount-2-offset.html

At that price, and being a Vortex (with their VIP warranty*), I don't know how you could not get one!

* - "VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customer. We will repair or replace your Vortex® product in the event it becomes damaged or defective—at no charge to you. If we cannot repair your product, we will replace it with a product in perfect working order of equal or better physical condition."

2 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Anyone tried the New Sig P365 X Macro?  18 rounds in the same size and form factor as my Hellcat.

Fired it at the range alongside the Glock 43X and 48.  I liked the Macro the best.  Smooth action.  The compensator built into the slide is nice.  Grip size is absolutely perfect for a mid-large hand owing to the semi-double stack.  Trigger is smooth with a very consistent break, while a bit heavy, but that's expected out of a conceal carry pistol.  The price, however, was not ideal ($850 before tax at the time), which led me to get the G48 for nearly half that price.

The Macro is definitely high on the wish list.

Edited by FourFans
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Gave the G43 to the wife for full time carry and picked up a G48 for $445 blue label and $200 for a JG trigger. $645 for a pistol with a glass rod break trigger and shooting tight cloverleafs with range ammo is unbeatable. Very happy with the new “summer carry” pistol. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/30/2023 at 6:45 PM, Sua Sponte said:

I just picked up an Sig P365XL. Love it. 

I like it as well, bought the Holosun sight with it but the sightline seems a bit off to me, might be my look angle.  When I have more time I will adjust and play with it a bit more. 

30 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

I like it as well, but the Holosun sight with it but the sightline seems a bit off to me, might be my look angle.  When I have more time I will adjust and play with it a bit more. 

Is it your first pistol with an RDS? Definitely takes a bit to get used to RDS vs. iron sights. 

5 hours ago, brabus said:

Is it your first pistol with an RDS? Definitely takes a bit to get used to RDS vs. iron sights. 

Yes.  Have one on one of my AR's and it far more natural on that platform.  Was fortunate to train with CAG and DEVGRU a few times in my career and found the front sight push technique works best for me.  Made the most sense, especially when under stress.

With the Holosun it was not like I expected and I had to "hunt" to keep the dot in the center of the sight and then on the target.  I really expected it to be a simple put the thing on the thing.  I will keep practicing.

• Upvote 1

That’s a normal experience when first using RDS on pistols, happens to everyone. It can help to still pick up the front sight first (helps you find the dot) and then transition 100% to the dot before you would be lining up the rear sight. Sounds like your “defeating the purpose” of the red dot, but you’re not, it’s just an intermediary training crutch. You’ll be subconsciously finding the red dot immediately in no time. It’s so much faster than iron sights on initial and follow up shots, especially on multiple targets. 

• Upvote 2

On 7/22/2023 at 6:27 AM, ClearedHot said:

I like it as well, bought the Holosun sight with it but the sightline seems a bit off to me, might be my look angle.  When I have more time I will adjust and play with it a bit more. 

I haven't modded mine, yet. I CCW with it and it's been great. 

On 5/10/2023 at 8:15 PM, Smokin said:

Is there anyway to track the Form 1 after submitting it?  I'm hitting the 40 days they advertised and haven't heard anything.

86 days* on my eForm 1 as of today, still no approval. 

Beginning to think the ATF is fucking with me! 

As of 3 July 2023, their website said the average was 40 days! 🤬🤬🤬

* - 86 days, a.k.a...

• 7,430,400 seconds
  • 123,840 minutes
  • 2064 hours
  • 12 weeks and 2 days
  • 23.56% of 2023

22 hours ago, M2 said:

86 days* on my eForm 1 as of today, still no approval. 

Beginning to think the ATF is fucking with me! 

As of 3 July 2023, their website said the average was 40 days! 🤬🤬🤬

* - 86 days, a.k.a...

• 7,430,400 seconds
  • 123,840 minutes
  • 2064 hours
  • 12 weeks and 2 days
  • 23.56% of 2023

Yikes.  I sent in my fingerprints after I realized I had forgotten to and I received mine back spread out over the last couple weeks.

--Edit to add, think mine were all approved around 50 or so days.  They have to be most of the way through the pistol brace apps, I bet you get yours soon.

Also, a friend told me that since the bottom of the approved form 1 had the restriction of something like 'IAW pistolbrace rule' that it wasn't a real full up form 1.  I found this on the ATF website (always better to read laws/rules/bureaucratic junk from a .gov site rather than hearsay).  Note question 12.  Like any other form 1, you need to 'notify the NFA division' if you change the overall length, but I see some folding stocks in my future.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/undefined/final-rule-2021r-08f-frequently-asked-questions-and-sba-compliance-guide-2/download

Edited by Smokin
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

94 days waiting on my eForm 1 approval as of yesterday, so I reached out to the ATF via email and surprisingly, I got a reply...

"Your background is in a delayed status with the FBI"

Well, that could mean a myriad of things!   First, I hope it simply means the FBI is constipated with all the background checks it is having to conduct surrounding this debacle of a ruling from the ATF concerning AR pistols, but I've known several others who have gotten their approvals in half that time!

Honestly, I still hope that is the case as I was cleared for my first TS over four decades ago,  ]been vetted by the FBI at least twice for programs I've been involved with them over the past ten years, and have also been cleared by numerous state and municipal agencies and organizations for other activities and operations.   I also hold a TX LTC, which allows me to bypass the NICS check when purchasing firearms from a FFL.

Another issue is I have a fairly common first and last name, but with the other PII requested with my application, that shouldn't an issue; but according to the ATF, it can be!

Regardless, ATF Final Rule 2021R-08F is a complete clusterfuck.  Anyone who claims we are getting a "free" SBR obviously isn't be subjected to the process to do so.  Plus, fingerprint cards alone cost me $60 (from the same local LE agency I volunteer with, for what it's worth). 

Still, I am taking advantage of this "offer" even though I know I will eventually have to transfer the NFA item to a trust as under this current method where trusts cannot be involved, there is too much risk as to what happens to my SBR if/when I pass away... 

Simply put, the ATF, the NFA of 1934 and GCA of 1968 all need to go away.  They are pointless and don't protect a single citizen with their unconstitutional mandates and restrictions which haven't reduced criminal acts one iota!

• Like 2

On 8/5/2023 at 12:07 PM, M2 said:

Simply put, the ATF, the NFA of 1934 and GCA of 1968 all need to go away.  They are pointless and don't protect a single citizen with their unconstitutional mandates and restrictions which haven't reduced criminal acts one iota!

One of the best days of my life would be if SCOTUS shut down the NFA - one of the single dumbest (and unconstitutional) pieces of legislation ever made. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1