Flaco

Incubus

Jack Johnson

The Decemberists

Minus the Bear

The Shins

Shiny Toy Guns

Not much into oldies/classic.

I must be getting old, I haven't heard of any of those groups. Are you sure they are bands?

Right now in my car...

Lynyrd Skynyrd

The Who

Boston

Dierks Bentley

Molly Hatchet

and some other crap I can't remember. I also keep an early 90's hip hop mix (NWA, Ice Cube, Snoop, Nate Dogg, Warren G.. that kinda thing) that I play with full bass to annoy the shit out of people sometimes.

Now we're talking! But I had to look up Dierks Bentley...from Wikipedia: "Bentley is a country music singer...(who's) musical style is considered to be more traditional than many of his contemporaries and often contains traditional themes of lost or forbidden love, drinking and cheating"...sounds promising!

Cheers! M2

Distrubed "10,000 Fists" - After 25 years of trying, finally a Phil Collins song I can stand to listen to (they covered "Land of Confusion"). The rest of the CD is pretty good as well.

Avenged Sevenfold "City of Evil" - Young band but definitely a hint of "old metal" in their style

Metallica - All albums except St. Anger - They were my favorite in high school many moons ago, and remain so today!

Godsmack - "4"

YouTube is a great source for videos from these and most modern artists...check out this Godsmack drum solo (7 minutes).. I saw them open for Metallica in 2004...GREAT show!

I saw the show you're talking about in 04 in Cincinnati. THis drum solo/battle was definitely the highlight of the show. I thought that Godsmack stole the show. I think Metallica's stage show is much better when viewed outside from about ten yards from the stage with massive amounts of pyro.

Guest davalt10

On my most recent CD i have:

OAR

CCR

Hootie and the Blowfish

Presidents of the United States

Dispatch

Pepper

and of course Dos Gringos

Guest CrewDawg1
Fall Out Boy

Funny parody on Fall Out Boy

I didn't realize how true this was until I saw them in concert, they are absolutely terrible live. I was there to see All American Rejects and Hawthorne Heights. Fall out Boy could have easily been opening for either one of the other bands.

The sound track to "Les Miserables." Seriously, that's some good stuff if you know the story and can get past the Frenchiness.

Dope - Life. An incredible album if you like heavy metal, which includes the song "Die Motherf*cker" - an extremely motivating song that I interpret to mean killing islamic extremists. They dedicated the album to the NYPD, NYFD, and the military after 9/11.

Every Metallica album prior to Load.

Pantera

Ozzy

Most classic rock

Just about all Texas country

Most classical - one of the most powerful songs of all time: Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor.

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones if you like blue grass - some of the best musicians I've ever seen live.

Too many to list.

I have 35 gigs of music on my iPod. Currently really digging:

"Starlight" by Muse

""Open Your Eyes" by Snow Patrol

"The Black Parade (whole album)" by My Chemical Romance

Some of my other faves include:

REK (Robert Earl Keen for those not in the know)

Charlie Robison

U2

Ben Folds

Butch Walker (and by proxy The Marvelous 3)

Tom Petty

Funny parody on Fall Out Boy

I didn't realize how true this was until I saw them in concert, they are absolutely terrible live. I was there to see All American Rejects and Hawthorne Heights. Fall out Boy could have easily been opening for either one of the other bands.

Agreed. I absolutely despise Fall Out Boy.

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones if you like blue grass - some of the best musicians I've ever seen live.

If you're a fan of Dave Matthews Band (or the Flecktones), check out their live performance (more of a jam) of #41. Pure musical inspiration.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xirXesR2Ik...ted&search=

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0YUSD6dZ_g...ted&search=

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yXD2n3ShrI...ted&search=

Flaco

Guest John Cocktoston

My CD player is loaded with Pink Floyd and Beatles...never gets old.

:beer:

John

• 12 years later...

Okay, so I am bored and sick of the coronavirus bullshit.  Decided to see what topics were on the  first page of the forum, ya know...13 years ago.

Not sure this thread title aged well. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Bergman said:

Okay, so I am bored and sick of the coronavirus bullshit.  Decided to see what topics were on the  first page of the forum, ya know...13 years ago.

Not sure this thread title aged well. 😂

Ha, I'm guessing it's the same 6 discs that I put in there when I bought my car in 2006 (two days before AMS).  What those CDs are, I have no idea 🤣.   I'd wager  SocialD (clearly), Metallica, Jim Croce, CCR, Nirvana and Foo Fighters. 

Edited by SocialD
  • Like 1

I love how seeing these old posts is like coming across a perfectly preserved time capsule. Seeing discussions about Fall Out Boy, The All-American Rejects, and Hawthorne Heights is an instant trip down memory lane.

I've been listening to a lot of Mark Lettieri lately -- killer rock/blues/jazz guitarist based in Fort Worth. Might not be your cup of tea if you're not a guitar nerd but I'm always blown away by his playing and songwriting, plus the tight rhythm section. The song "Seuss Pants" from his newest album is a bit of an adventure.

Edited by mb1685

What is this "CD player" of which you speak?

But in the 8-track is Dire Straits, any and all of it, and/or Mark Knopfler.  Dude can write and play.

Also symphonic Pink Floyd.  For the grown-up stoner in some of us...

Recently added...wait for it....

Flock of Seagulls with the Prague Symphony Orchestra.

On 4/9/2020 at 10:04 AM, brickhistory said:

What is this "CD player" of which you speak?

Shack. 

Even I... just call me "Boomer"...  have a big collection of CD's gathering dust.

I built a great bunch of songs for my 2020 airshow soundtracks.  Too bad the season is a loss.  

I grabbed some great sections of the following songs:  The Trooper, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Flight of Icarus, Cowboys from Hell, Dreams, In the End, New Divide, Pressure and Time, Joker and the Thief, Ladies and Gentlemen, Click Click Boom, Bad Motor Scooter, Shoot to Thrill, Hangar 18, Alien Nation, Hail to the King, Fuel, Bodies, Voices, 10,000 Fists, Modern Day Cowboy, Flat Liner, Fallen Angel, Metal Health, Bark at the Moon... and about 60 more.  

Until I go to an airshow, I'll just play them at home with the volume at 11... when the the wife is gone.  

p.s.  don't worry, kids:  I have some current stuff I can play too.  It won't be relevant in 18 months, and neither will the artist so I don't have any idea what the song names are.  

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Like 1

I'm driving with the daughter not too long ago, she states that she's in charge of music for the ride, and tries to plug in her device, but hits the CD/XM button.  I have 5x "mix tape" CDs in there from eons ago and we start hearing some ZZ Top.  What starts out as "What's this?" finally ends with me trying to explain what a 10-12 song mix tape is/was.  When we got got home, I had to show her the clip from High Fidelity on rules for making a mix tape.

PS, for the next song, The Cranberries "Zombie" she goes, ooooh, I know this one, its by (some unknown name), but why is a girl singing it?  Tried to explain why too many artists these days take a song, slow it down, and sing it all raspy and moody. Then gave her the Cranberries CD to listen, but she wondered how she was going to listen to them on her device.  MP3s I answered.  I tried to explain those.  In the end, I concluded I'm a dinosaur, but when the XM satellite blows up, and Spotify and Pandora go offline, I have thousands of MP3s, CDs, and old cassettes to keep me company.  "Like that'll ever happen" she says.  I asked when was the last time she had coffee in a Starbucks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 4/10/2020 at 11:37 PM, HuggyU2 said:

Shack. 

Even I... just call me "Boomer"...  have a big collection of CD's gathering dust.

I built a great bunch of songs for my 2020 airshow soundtracks.  Too bad the season is a loss.  

I grabbed some great sections of the following songs:  The Trooper, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Flight of Icarus, Cowboys from Hell, Dreams, In the End, New Divide, Pressure and Time, Joker and the Thief, Ladies and Gentlemen, Click Click Boom, Bad Motor Scooter, Shoot to Thrill, Hangar 18, Alien Nation, Hail to the King, Fuel, Bodies, Voices, 10,000 Fists, Modern Day Cowboy, Flat Liner, Fallen Angel, Metal Health, Bark at the Moon... and about 60 more.  

Until I go to an airshow, I'll just play them at home with the volume at 11... when the the wife is gone.  

p.s.  don't worry, kids:  I have some current stuff I can play too.  It won't be relevant in 18 months, and neither will the artist so I don't have any idea what the song names are.  

Ha!  I have every single one of those songs on my Spotify running playlist.  Damn we are old.