Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) Q&A

Guest baileyf16

13 minutes ago, Guardian said:

Can the Roth tsp or regular tsp be moved prior to separation/retirement?

Don't think so.  I know you generally can't move a 401(k) if you're still in the job.  Pretty sure TSP follows the same rules, but if anyone has better information, I'm happy to learn.

This was the case until the TSP modernization act in 2017 which took effect in 2019. Now the fees are higher than they were, such that the fees in my Fidelity holdings are substantially similar. IOW low fees as a reason to hold onto TSP is no longer valid. I’ll move my TSP Roth into my Roth IRA as soon as I separate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ooh, I missed this. I’ll have to look into it. Thank you!

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, nsplayr said:

Good god whoever signed off on the new TSP site design should be shot.

I especially enjoy the complete lack of balance history. Having 0 idea of how my retirement savings have preformed in the years prior to the site rollover is exactly what I wanted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, LiquidSky said:

I especially enjoy the complete lack of balance history. Having 0 idea of how my retirement savings have preformed in the years prior to the site rollover is exactly what I wanted.

I really love no longer getting a simple snapshot of my fund allocations. Instead it just says "100% stocks". Thanks, that's super helpful...

This new TSP site is awful. I'm a knuckle-dragger, but I can only find basic account balances, not share price and shares. Anyone able to find a breakdown?

It seems like the only breakdown the new site is capable of is, “you put in some monies.”

Holy god the new site is bad. One whole page just to show big ass buttons, a big ass picture of a dude sitting on his floor making arts and crafts, balance, and return YTD.

I'd like to know how many tens of millions of dollars they paid to create this abomination. 

• Like 2

I recently separated and now that I have some options, I'm struggling to come up with any reason not to roll my TSP balance over into my IRA. The TSP used to win on cost but I don't think that's really the case any more. Seems like increasing the distance between Uncle Sam and your retirement dollars is always a good move, and even more so after this recent debacle. At least Vanguard/Schwab/T. Rowe Price/whoever know how to track a balance and provide a usable website. 

22 minutes ago, mcbush said:

I recently separated and now that I have some options, I'm struggling to come up with any reason not to roll my TSP balance over into my IRA. The TSP used to win on cost but I don't think that's really the case any more. Seems like increasing the distance between Uncle Sam and your retirement dollars is always a good move, and even more so after this recent debacle. At least Vanguard/Schwab/T. Rowe Price/whoever know how to track a balance and provide a usable website. 

Historical TSP finds still have same low fees, new funds...not so much 

3 hours ago, mcbush said:

The only argument I ever hear is the G fund can be a useful unicorn.  I see the point but I will roll my TSP to my Fidelity accounts at the earliest opportunity to reduce my withdrawal complexity down the road.

26 minutes ago, nunya said:

The only argument I ever hear is the G fund can be a useful unicorn.  I see the point but I will roll my TSP to my Fidelity accounts at the earliest opportunity to reduce my withdrawal complexity down the road.

How?

• 3 months later...

Anyone have any recommendations on a personal finance/budget tracking program that will actually update and show the TSP balance? I have been using Money in Excel, which is mediocre at best and due to be unsupported soon. 

From some research it seems that a lot of the budgeting apps and programs have issues actually connecting to TSP and showing and/or updating the balance. 

46 minutes ago, kaputt said:

Anyone have any recommendations on a personal finance/budget tracking program that will actually update and show the TSP balance?

Short answer, no.

i use Fidelity full view.  I manually input my TSP balance as fully invested in S&P 500 index because I’m 100% C. It tracks decently well with my actual TSP balance.  

I can’t wait to roll my TSP into a more user friendly account. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, kaputt said:

Anyone have any recommendations on a personal finance/budget tracking program that will actually update and show the TSP balance? I have been using Money in Excel, which is mediocre at best and due to be unsupported soon. 

From some research it seems that a lot of the budgeting apps and programs have issues actually connecting to TSP and showing and/or updating the balance. 

I've been using Mint for a while, and it connects to Fidelity, Vanguard, and TSP no problem

4 hours ago, Guardian said:

I’ve heard of mint. What does it do for you? Or how do you like to use it?

On one hand, it's an app/site that you can connect most (maybe all?) your bank(s)/investment/retirement accounts/credit cards/debts to and it'll show you all your ca$h monie$ in one spot. It can be used to track expenses to help budget/catch where you may waste money and it can show your net worth. It can be useful, if you find yourself in need of such things. DISCLAIMER: I've not used it in quite a few years, so maybe it'll wash your car now, too, with all the new features since I last messed with it.

On the other hand, you're allowing one huge financial corp (Intuit, who owns TurboTax, Quickbooks, and who knows what other financial stuff) to have ALLLLLLL of your financial information. I'm guessing they use it to track enough of your metrics that would to make your head spin with that much access to your complete financial picture. Your net worth, spending habits, when/where/what you spend your money, debts, etc. that I'm sure is quite the valuable swath of info on a consumer you're allowing them access, track, and sell to others. On that end, I steer clear, cause Gator don't play. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, nunya said:

Have you “upgraded” to the new TSP account?

Yes. Mint connects and updates just fine with it.

12 hours ago, Guardian said:

I’ve heard of mint. What does it do for you? Or how do you like to use it?

What threeholer said: it collects all your financial into one place and allows for broad based analysis.

7 hours ago, FDNYOldGuy said:

...Your net worth, spending habits, when/where/what you spend your money, debts, etc. that I'm sure is quite the valuable swath of info on a consumer you're allowing them access, track, and sell to others. On that end, I steer clear, cause Gator don't play. 

This is my one worry.  I'm still debating if I should move out of it for this reason, but the fact that Intuit is a legit major company, I'm not overly worried.  I have no doubt that all those other major companies (credit cards/mortgage/banking etc) that have my financial data are already sharing that info, Mint just lets me actually see it too.

8 hours ago, FourFans130 said:

Yes. Mint connects and updates just fine with it.

What threeholer said: it collects all your financial into one place and allows for broad based analysis.

This is my one worry.  I'm still debating if I should move out of it for this reason, but the fact that Intuit is a legit major company, I'm not overly worried.  I have no doubt that all those other major companies (credit cards/mortgage/banking etc) that have my financial data are already sharing that info, Mint just lets me actually see it too.

I already use TurboTax, so having it where they can pull it into my tac forms just makes it easier.

My TSP disconnected a while ago and I was unable to get it reconnected to Mint. I haven't tried since the new TSP site rolled out.

• 2 weeks later...