B-2 Spirit info

Gravedigger

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

The call for applications usually drops in the fall, your exec should send it out, but start building your 3849 now, as there could be a quick turn & that thing has a shitload of bullets for you to populate.

What kind of bullets are they looking for on the 3849? The only examples I could find were just a narrative paragraph about how the person would appreciate going to the community.

Any news on the board for this year?

What kind of bullets are they looking for on the 3849? The only examples I could find were just a narrative paragraph about how the person would appreciate going to the community.

Any news on the board for this year?

PRF-style narratives tend to work the best. A few lines on why you want to be there & why they should want you there, with the bulk of the lines being your very best strats & OPR bullets to date.

The last few successful examples I saw had all the strats up front in the top few lines. I had seen ones in years previous with all the strats down the left side.

Good luck!

ETA: keep checking myPers for the most recent PDSMs (I have the page bookmarked). If you scan for it daily, you'll probably be ready before your execs send out the spam email. The candidate criteria changes every year, based on who they want to cherry-pick, so give it a solid read-through.

Edited by 10percenttruth

• 5 months later...
Wednesday, March 18, 2015
Senator Rounds: [...] General Welsh, the Air Force says that the long-range strike bomber is one of the Air Force’s top modernization priorities. Today the Air Force has either 95 or 96 operational bombers. This is nearly half the number of bombers recommended by the 1993 bottom-up review to support operations in the post-Cold War era. During the Cold War, the Air Force’s average ratio of fighters to bombers was about 5 to 1. This ratio is now 14 to 1, 14 fighters for every one bomber. I am not suggesting the need to cut more fighters, but rather, I think we ought to be talking about whether or not that original balance was appropriate. I am concerned, however, that the Department of Defense may be contemplating making an unfavorable situation even worse by retiring more bombers before the long-range strike bomber is fielded in substantial numbers. My questions are these. If the Air Force is not given relief from the Budget Control Act, would you propose cuts to the current bomber force?
General Welsh: No, Senator, we are not.
Senator Rounds: Will the long-range strike bombers replace any of the current bombers, including the nuclear mission capable B-2, or will they augment the current force?
General Welsh: The intent would be to replace the B-2 over time with the long-range strike bomber.
Senator Rounds: Beginning?
General Welsh: Beginning in the mid-2020’s.

• 5 months later...
Heard rumors that there won't be a hiring board this year. Anyone in the know able to confirm or deny?

Confirmed. At a pilot all-call the OG told us the hiring boards were gone. There will still be some kind of AFPC controlled cross-training available but no more interviews out here. At least 50% of new B-2 assignments will be UPT and FAIP drops.

That would seem to suck.  Being able to control your own hiring process is what makes communities like the B-2 and U-2 (and Guard and Reserves) great.  What's the reasoning?  More command opportunities for guys from other airframes?  A jealous AFPC General that was turned down as a Capt?

We were told that AFPC is upset about losing guys in their spreadsheet to the B-2 right when they need them for white jets/staff gigs. It's a big shame because flying the B-2 is few and far between. It will be interesting to see the impact when we lose the ability to get as many people who already have MWS experience/tactics/combat hours. There is talk to make the T-38 program more tactical in nature (range support, flag support, simulated bomb runs, etc.) to help UPT and FAIP droppers transition easier to the bomb squadrons.

We were told that AFPC is upset about losing guys in their spreadsheet to the B-2 right when they need them for white jets/staff gigs. It's a big shame because flying the B-2 is few and far between. It will be interesting to see the impact when we lose the ability to get as many people who already have MWS experience/tactics/combat hours. There is talk to make the T-38 program more tactical in nature (range support, flag support, simulated bomb runs, etc.) to help UPT and FAIP droppers transition easier to the bomb squadrons.

What a surprise, convenience on the part of AFPC trumps actual unit, mission, and personnel welfare. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, tx_flyer said:

Any B-2 pilots on here that want to talk Pros/Cons of B-2 life? I'm a current MAF guy and am interested in applying when the next board comes out.

Not a B-2 guy, but if You never deploy and fly T-38s as a side chick...how bad can it be?  Plus it’s fun to say you live in Knob Noster, MO.

I imagine having B-2 time on your airline resume wouldn’t hurt either.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bergman said:

Not a B-2 guy, but if You never deploy and fly T-38s as a side chick...how bad can it be?  Plus it’s fun to say you live in Knob Noster, MO.

I imagine having B-2 time on your airline resume wouldn’t hurt either.

Cons: nuclear. Global Strike shenanigans. 

Edited by SurelySerious
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

So the B-2 hiring email was released for a second time this month and I am going to apply. They're asking for a PDF of your SURF, OPRs, decs, etc and you email that to the 2 assignment officers at AFPC. I have been networking with a current B-2 pilot but I'm not sure how connected the folks at Whiteman are with the assignment officers at AFPC. Any suggestions on how to stand out when I send that package up? Would that be appropriate? Otherwise you're just another name in a stack of faceless resumes and it's a bit of a crapshoot. TIA!