Kirtland AFB info

Guest lovelacm

THREAD REVIVAL!!

I'm a nav type finishing up mission qual at Nashville (I was asked to volunteer to leave LR and do my LL flying phase at Nashville) and am going to Shadow follow-on training next month. Just hoping someone currently or recently there could shed some info on how long the training timeline is right now. Are academics/sims taught by civilian instructors and flying taught by AD guys? Is there a lot of free time like there seems to be at LR? I had a Lockheed instructor at Little Rock tell me that the MC school house is a big helmet fire, wondering if this is true? Also, where are people currently staying off base if they refuse government quarters? Just hoping to get some up to date info. Thanks for the help guys!

Guest AFBaron25
THREAD REVIVAL!!

I'm a nav type finishing up mission qual at Nashville (I was asked to volunteer to leave LR and do my LL flying phase at Nashville) and am going to Shadow follow-on training next month. Just hoping someone currently or recently there could shed some info on how long the training timeline is right now. Are academics/sims taught by civilian instructors and flying taught by AD guys? Is there a lot of free time like there seems to be at LR? I had a Lockheed instructor at Little Rock tell me that the MC school house is a big helmet fire, wondering if this is true? Also, where are people currently staying off base if they refuse government quarters? Just hoping to get some up to date info. Thanks for the help guys!

Yes, academics/sims are taught by civilian instuctors (brown suiters) and the flying is taught by AD guys. The way everything is set up is similar to Little Rock and you do have a lot of free time. The sims were down for awhile but I believe they are now up and running again so you should get 3-4 sims. The 3 tests you'll have in academics aren't all that hard but they won't spoon feed you the answers like they did at Little Rock. In academics, you'll have classes with just you and the nav instructors but you'll have several classes with the whole crew. When I went through, I was the only nav in my class but I always had 3 nav instructors there for each class. When you get to the flightline, you'll get 3 day flights and about 11 night flights. To me, I think the flying is pretty different from Little Rock and if you have a "helmet fire" it'll be during the flying phase. Normally, it won't be until your 5th or 6th night flight that things finally start coming together and making sense. We do SCA's instead of ARA's (but they're pretty much the same) and airdrops are the same as Little Rock. The big differences are the helicopter refueling and the low level. The refueling isn't all that hard, it's just something new. The hardest part for most navs is the low level. You'll learn a whole new language and you'll learn to use your radar better than you thought was possible. I stayed off base and I searched a bunch of places but I finally found a place on vrbo.com. They have a bunch of fully furnished places and I eventually talked a lady into charging me per diem.

• 5 months later...

I'm here TDY for a few months and figured I'd knock out my PPL on my down time (I've only got like 5 months left on my knowledge test and student pilot certificate and am headin overseas after leaving here)

I've got two places in mind right now... Del Sol Aviation and the Aero Club. Does anyone have any personal experience with either? Would you recommend one of them? I'm gonna go talk to them both tomorrow, but if anyone has dealt with them personally I'd love to hear what you thought of them. Thanks for your time!

Although I do not have any first hand experience, I have heard nothing but good things about Del Sol Aviation. I also spoke with the owner once about a potential CFI job and he seemed like a pretty stand up guy. I don't know much about the aero club, but I have heard that instructor availability is sometimes an issue (but this was back in Jan.).

There is also Bode Aviation, which is probably the largest operation in the area, but I would recommend Del Sol over Bode.

Definitely check them out, and have fun -- I've always enjoyed flying around that area.

Good deal! I heard the same thing about the Aero Club which kind of sucks. Just from the info I have now I was already kind of leaning towards Del Sol, but tomorrow will determine who I go with I guess. Thanks for the reply! I'm glad Del Sol's got a good reputation

• 3 months later...

Looking for info on the ski resorts in the Albuquerque area. Do Sandia Peak or Ski Santa Fe offer military discounts? I've read that Ski Santa Fe is better. Is it worth the drive up there if I'm only going to be in Albuquerque for a 3 day weekend (2 days of boarding)? Has anybody done the drive from Laughlin to Albuquerque? I'm figuring it'll take about 9-10 hours. Thanks.

Santa Fe is a much better ski area than Sandia. Sandia is very close to ABQ though. You can ride the tram from ABQ up the mountain and be skiing in 12 minutes. Santa Fe is more diverse than Sandia, with blacks and I think 2 double blacks. Sandia has runs labeled black, but nothing there really is, it is a very mellow place to ride.

• 7 months later...

When TDY to Kirtland for the schoolhouse, what is the policy with respect to pets? I'm going to be TDY enroute and am wondering what to do with my wife and our pets. We have two cats and a dog and I doubt that you can stay on base with said luggage. Do any of the apartments off base take three pets?

Thanks

I would try calling ahead. The only people I ve heard of getting non a letters are those married with pets. My wife and I have 2 dogs and they gave us a non a without us even asking. And that was just over the phone. Your milage may vary.

• 4 months later...

My wife and I are moving there in a couple months for TDY over the summer and are looking for a nice place to live off base. Ideally, we'd like to live in some kind of downtown area where we can walk to bars and restaurants, that isn't too far a drive from base. Anybody have any suggestions? Hoping to get a Non-A but I've heard the lodging there is super stingy about them.

Thanks.

I would try calling ahead. The only people I ve heard of getting non a letters are those married with pets. My wife and I have 2 dogs and they gave us a non a without us even asking. And that was just over the phone. Your milage may vary.

Isn't Southwest Suites like an extended stay hotel service? all the apartments are furnished and utilities are included? The only issue I have with them is aren't they over the allotted housing per diem for TDY?

Thanks.

Check out Brick Light District with Southwest Suites. It's downtown by UNM with plenty of bars and restaurants around.

Yes, they are fully furnished and include utilities. I didn't have a non-A during my TDY, so I split an apartment at Broadstone High Desert with a buddy. It was $80/day, so we paid $1/day out of pocket, which was well worth it. If you get a non-A, your per diem ($81/day) should cover it. If the price is a bit higher, you might be able to negotiate with Luella to get it down to whatever per diem will cover.

Check out Brick Light District with Southwest Suites. It's downtown by UNM with plenty of bars and restaurants around.

2. I live there now. Awesome location. Across the street from UNM, .5 mile walking distance to the bars/restaurants at Nob Hill, about 2.0 from downtown, and there are plenty of places to get food within walking distance. It's about a 10-15 min drive from my parking lot to the parking lot of the squadron, depending on traffic.

As far as getting a non-A goes, I'm single without pets and plenty of other single guys without pets have got one. You just have to be a little persistent.

Awesome, thanks. Will definitely check that out if I am able to secure the non-a. What kind of TV do they have in southwest suites (I know it sounds picky but I'm a big sports nut and have to watch EVERY game)?

Anybody heard of this place? Or know what kind of area it's in? It looks way more manageable without a non-a.

http://www.liveatalliance.com/BroadstoneTowneCenter/Index.aspx

• 2 months later...

Found a furnished place for less that $39 a day here. Opinions on location? Is it good, bad, or am i going to get carjacked before i even set the parking brake?

Dude, that's awfully close (if not in) to the 'war zone'. Do some research on crime statistics in ABQ and you'll see what I'm talking about and probably reconsider.

Do one of the two things: 1) Stay at billeting...they're pretty nice and a lot of the rooms are more like small 1 bedroom apartments (minus the kitchen). 2) Show up to ABQ, get a room at billeting, and talk to some of the studs currently there and ask those living off base where they stay.

• Upvote 1

That's what i figured. My wife and our pets prevent living in billeting. So far they've been unresponsive to my advances for a non-A

Rog. Well, look around man. General rule of thumb is don't live anywhere south of Zuni just outside the base. SE of the base near Eubank and Juan Tabo can be a decent exception to that rule.

In ABQ, find a decent place, in a nice area, and be willing to spend a little extra to keep you, your wife, and your belongings safe. Also, if you don't have one, get a gun and learn how to use it...a good rule for wherever you live IMHO.

• Upvote 1

Dude, Google "furnished apartments Albuquerque"

Some furnished place

69 seconds, this place looks like a decent area from what I remember. Anywhere up in the north west part of town (Rio Rancho) is gonna be a pain in the ass for driving; anywhere northeast, while nice is also gonna be a haul and much more expensive. The area around the college is probably your best bet. The thing about ABQ is that there's petty crime all over the place, just stay away from the area right around base.

In any event have fun, Knob Hill area is a great time.

EDIT: Helodude speaks the truth. Zuni=BAD.

Edited by busdriver
  • Upvote 1

abq uptown is where you need to look. i know a couple guys staying there. they are descent 1 bedroom apts that take dogs. most arent furnished but guys are renting furniture / tvs and the like and coming in just over 39/day.

• 2 months later...

Question: Has anyone spent time at "Habanero" the Southwest Suite just outside the Eubank Gate at Kirtland. Supposedly 5 minutes from base and allows a big dog, wife and baby. Anythoughts? Would they be safe if I left them alone at night? I too have seen the many COPs episodes of ABQ and do not know the local geography that well.

Thanks,

barney

PS. Whatever happened to Rainman gettin some after being called a douche?

Also,

What is the lowdown with a Texas CHL and New Mexcio reciprocity? Does anyone know the basic rules off the cuff for NM?

Thanks,

barney