IFS (Initial Flight Screening) information

Guest ilikefood

You're going make up for the 3 hours of 7 horsepower, single engine recip time you'd get at IFS once you get to the FTU...in like half of a sortie.

Heck...its 15-20 hours of 125 horsepower these days, but your premis is correct. IFS isn't really about flying anyway (for PPL people), its about how to learn to learn the AF way. From a percentage standpoint, it works (higher success rate in UPT).

In fact, I believe that's the tradeoff...increased risk via IFS vs statistically higher probability of making it through UPT if you make it through IFS.

Edited by HiFlyer

So does that mean that going to IFS would help someone do better at UPT?

Go back an read the thread, I'm sure you'll find your answer. It works better for the AF cause they weed people out; IFS is not there for your best interest.

looks like I was just a little too impatient on my post a few days ago. new 36-2205v3 posted to e-pubs: http://static.e-publ...ci36-2205v3.pdf

of note:

1.1 ... Pilot, RPA pilot, and CSO candidates with a private pilot certificate are exempt from IFS.

So, should those of us with orders expect to have them cancelled? I've already gotten a few calls from AMS buddies who've had theirs cancelled... Some guys (including me) have class dates next month.

So does that mean that going to IFS would help someone do better at UPT?

Standard answer: it depends......

Im at IFS right now. For me its been helpful so far. I feel the intro to the AF way of flying vs GA was a good wake up. I cant answer as to whether or not it will help you at UPT because i obviously haven't been there yet. Take it for what its worth but my buddy who just finished up T38s and is now at his follow on said the only useful thing from ifs was how to kind of do stand ups...

I would listen to what others said, if you can skip it, do it. The IPs make it explicitely clear that thisis a screening program.....why risk it?

Beyond that, the IPs really do want you to succeed and will go the extra mile to make that happen as long as you put forth the effort.

Edited by HeyWatchThis

• 3 weeks later...

Having a PPL and going through IFS was beneficial. IFS introduces you to the military way of flying. I learned the more about the environment of military flying compared to actual flying skills. However as its been noted in this thread before IFS was the end of the road for many people. If you apply yourself and don't slack in UPT you will be fine.

• 11 months later...

I have over 80hrs and I've intentionally not finished my private because I want to go to IFS and start over by learning the AF way. Somebody tell me I'm being prudent and not reckless. If I wash out of IFS, how would UPT be any more pleasant?

Guess what UPT will do for you...start you over and teach the Air Force way.

Your logic is flawed my friend.

• Upvote 1

Thirded. Read this entire thread. IFS does not exist to "teach you the Air Force way of flying". It just happens to do that while serving its primary purpose of weeding out those most likely to wash out of UPT. Your plan is basically the same as an NFL team throwing games at the end of the season so they won't get a first round bye in the playoffs so they'll be "better prepared" for the second round.

Edited by guineapigfury

From my perspective as a non IFS guy with a PPL when I started UPT, there is literally no difference between the dudes who went and those who didn't.

Seriously, none. Nobody even speaks of it.

I'm sure it helps (or not) for those who have never flown though.

Edited by Kenny Powers
  • Upvote 1

I thought it was a useful program, but I had almost zero time, and no choice of whether to go or not.

I had a good time in CO, but the program was not a cakewalk, as some people seem to suggest (seemingly more out of pride than actual reality). I knew Guard dudes with multiple thousands of hours that didn't necessarily struggle, but definitely had to put some serious effort into the program. In my opinion, the people that say IFS was a "joke" are the same ones that finish UPT and, a day later, tell people just starting that it's really "not that bad".

The further removed you are from a bad situation, the more likely you are to downplay that situation's difficulty.

I actually thought the 8 week program was pretty easy. However I heard from several friends years later that the compressed course that they implemented is more difficult.

Is there any deadline you are required to have your PPL by? I know prior to 2013 Rated boards we had to submit our hours, but is there a cutoff point past that? After looking at both sides I think it would serve better to just bypass IFS. I'm not looking for opinions on skipping IFS, but rather when is it considered too late to get my PPL by?

Honestly I think as long as you have it before getting orders to go to IFS, you can make it work. The problem is making sure the right people know you have it, but that should be a relatively small hurdle (in theory, it IS AFPC)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by hispeed7721
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have a picture or know the correct link for a current picture of the cockpit showing all CURRENTLY INSTALLED instruments? (For chair flying practice)

Thanks!

Edited by BTeezy

My wife will probably come out to IFS during the last week I am there and then we're planning on driving home together.

Anyone have previous experience doing this? Ex: Hotels to stay at? Will I have time during the week to see her at all or should I just have her come that weekend?

Thanks!

Not advised. You could graduate a week early or several weeks late. You will have zero time during the week unless you are rock star pilot or don't give a f and fail.

I agree with this. If I remember correctly she can't even get in the building and you will be up at around four or five AM. Plus you should be studying every day. We had guys that had time in the Diamond and they were either studying or helping others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk