IFS (Initial Flight Screening) information

Guest ilikefood

Thanks - ordered it the other night.

With regards to ops limits. Obviously will study the numbers and corresponding phrases in red. Do I need commit the black ink numbers/phrases to memory as well for testable purposes? (Obviously it's good to know it and be familiar with it - but will we be tested on black ink values/phrases?)

Short answer is yes. While the black is not "testable" it is fair game on your check ride. While I don't know anyone who hooked for not knowing a black ops limit you look good when you know them. Tire pressures were a popular one when I was there about 6 months ago.

Thanks for the guidance viper...

"Min oil temp. to begin an area SFL at area idle (F)" - Can someone further explain this phrase for me and what is "SFL"?

Disregard - found on google.... Simulated Forced Landing for anyone who was wondering!

From my perspective as a non IFS guy with a PPL when I started UPT, there is literally no difference between the dudes who went and those who didn't.

Seriously, none. Nobody even speaks of it.

I'm sure it helps (or not) for those who have never flown though.

Had 400 hours and a CFII when I showed up to IFS. Two thoughts:

1. It definitely helped me prep for what to know day one at UPT. That, in turn, helped me through the first few weeks when everyone struggles. It may not show up in your grades, but it is better than nothing for prepping for UPT.

2. As long as you can safely take off, maneuver around the pattern, and land an airplane (one of the easiest to fly in the world) after 10 hours of instruction you will pass IFS. If you have flown recently and have your PPL and you can't do that, you're probably a shit pilot. However, if you haven't flown in a couple of years, I'd be more worried.

IFS should not be hard for Private Pilots. It will be a challenge, and you will have to apply yourself, but you shouldn't have to worry about washing out. If anything, it'll knock some rust off before UPT.

And for all of you guys that showed up with no time, I don't know how you did it. If you can spare $1500 to go rent a DA 20 and solo it (10-15 hours) it might be the difference between going to UPT or getting re-classed

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

• Upvote 1

1. It definitely helped me prep for what to know day one at UPT. That, in turn, helped me through the first few weeks when everyone struggles. It may not show up in your grades, but it is better than nothing for prepping for UPT.

2. As long as you can safely take off, maneuver around the pattern, and land an airplane (one of the easiest to fly in the world) after 10 hours of instruction you will pass IFS. If you have flown recently and have your PPL and you can't do that, you're probably a shit pilot. However, if you haven't flown in a couple of years, I'd be more worried.

IFS should not be hard for Private Pilots. It will be a challenge, and you will have to apply yourself, but you shouldn't have to worry about washing out. If anything, it'll knock some rust off before UPT.

And for all of you guys that showed up with no time, I don't know how you did it. If you can spare $1500 to go rent a DA 20 and solo it (10-15 hours) it might be the difference between going to UPT or getting re-classed

I went to IFS about a year ago and just graduated UPT. I agree with most of the the previous post. However back then, hearing similar things to the last statement had me pretty nervous. I essentially had zero time. So this is "how I did it" and how I saw many people with zero time successful:

Trust that the instructors/AF will teach you to fly if you put the work in. Get in the cockpit trainers every single day you are there. Go to hangers to charily at night. Get a blank piece of paper and draw out your sortie with tic marks for checks, radio calls and altitudes. Find a couple hours to practice on Saturday. Put in the repetition even when it seems boring. When you are in the jet listen to exactly what the IP is saying and the do you best to make you hands implement given correction. Many people struggle simply because they can not listen carefully.

Some studs can get by putting in less work but will at least struggle more.

Just about all this goes for getting it done in UPT with the addition of... have solid GK, be a team player with all the bros, find a way to blow off steam on fridays.

Granite is spot on. Study Study Study. I am just average dude with 0 hours that made it through without to much issue. Chill on Friday night, put a couple hours in on Saturday working and most of Sunday afternoon and night. Most the people I saw wash out didn't study much or didn't study with others. IFS is only 3 or 4 weeks, but it's like sprinting 100% all the time, UPT is more of marathon where those weekend breaks are what's going to keep you sane.

Edited for poor English skills

Edited by viper154

Put in the repetition even when it seems boring. When you are in the jet listen to exactly what the IP is saying and the do you best to make you hands implement given correction.

Nailed it Granite.

If you can solo the DA 20 in about 10 hours, you will pass IFS (the number of dudes that solo and washout is very low if I recall). The whole point of chair flying is to make all that extra stuff (radios, checklists, etc) automatic so that you can focus on receiving instruction in the few areas that really matter (SA, landing, pattern ops). Study the queepy stuff on the ground but don't stress about it in the air. You won't washout for not saying a radio call verbatim.

Also, enjoy the ice cream. Doss has the best soft serve bar in the USAF.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with all of this 100%!!

Anyone have the gouge on if you are too tall for the da20? Just started ifs today and I'm too tall for the cockpit- couldn't close the hatch.

I'm meeting tomorrow to discuss options.

I heard from some guys I possible get scheduled down in Pensacola with the navy or an fbo close to where I live (I would assume to get my ppl before UPT)

Any info out there? Thanks!

Did you take the seat out? Years ago when I went through we had a guy who was 6'6"+ and they took out the seat. He was basically sitting on metal the whole time, but I guess it's an option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have the gouge on if you are too tall for the da20? Just started ifs today and I'm too tall for the cockpit- couldn't close the hatch.

I'm meeting tomorrow to discuss options.

I heard from some guys I possible get scheduled down in Pensacola with the navy or an fbo close to where I live (I would assume to get my ppl before UPT)

Any info out there? Thanks!

So what was the word? On the Intro page to the DOSS IFS arrival guide it has all of the measurements to fit in the cockpit. I'm within an inch of all of the prescribed measurements to fit inside (sts). Just curious on what they decided to do for you.

So what was the word? On the Intro page to the DOSS IFS arrival guide it has all of the measurements to fit in the cockpit. I'm within an inch of all of the prescribed measurements to fit inside (sts). Just curious on what they decided to do for you.

Hey - Sorry for the delay. So i was sent back to my guard base. Doss Aviation/Air Force is paying for private lessons at an FBO close to my home. The IFS syllabus will be followed by the civilian flight school I go to (Air hours + ground school) and that will count as an IFS equivalency certificate to clear me for UPT. Max sitting height for the DA20 is 40 inches - I was 39.7 so I went out to the plane with my flight commander on the first day. The canopy wasnt even closed and my head was already hitting the glass and leaned 50 degrees to the left.

Blue - Hahahaha, awesome video lol. Thats exactly how I felt when I sat in the plane lol

A win for you and a bigger win for that FBO. I would have creamed my pants when I was a CFI at the thought of getting a government contract for what, 100 hours of flight/ground instruction?

Yea - 18 in the air and about 26 on the ground. They just get us to solo point which is what Doss does. Should be starting next Monday after the remaining paperwork is filled out and approved... We all know that can take some time.

Edited by BTeezy

Did you already do academics at Doss? If not, I'd buy a study aid for the PPL written, that'll help you pass the written test. The flying will be a piece of cake, much easier in a FBO environment as long as you apply yourself like your career depends on it.

Did you already do academics at Doss? If not, I'd buy a study aid for the PPL written, that'll help you pass the written test. The flying will be a piece of cake, much easier in a FBO environment as long as you apply yourself like your career depends on it.

I used the Sporty's Study Buddy App. I aced the ground test and the questions were pretty much verbatim.

Yea - 18 in the air and about 26 on the ground. They just get us to solo point which is what Doss does. Should be starting next Monday after the remaining paperwork is filled out and approved... We all know that can take some time.

So if you had your PPL did they say what they'd do? I'm going to be a tight squeeze as well, and although I have my PPL AFRC says I'm going. Just curious how pushy they were on the height issue... did they try to make you cram and make it work? Or pretty lenient after they saw the tight squeeze. A few people I've talked to said "get a haircut". I guess it's time to start cramming, literally.

I used the Sporty's Study Buddy App. I aced the ground test and the questions were pretty much verbatim.

So if you had your PPL did they say what they'd do? I'm going to be a tight squeeze as well, and although I have my PPL AFRC says I'm going. Just curious how pushy they were on the height issue... did they try to make you cram and make it work? Or pretty lenient after they saw the tight squeeze. A few people I've talked to said "get a haircut". I guess it's time to start cramming, literally.

If you have your PPL you don't have to go through IFS - period. One guy had his and they sent him home. Having a PPL is an automatic waiver and you are cleared for UPT. Regarding the height issue - it not like he was forcing me to cram my body in the plane. You have to sit as you normally would when flying. Any position other than normal could impact your flying. I guess it depends on your flight commander how much cramming they want you to do but if its uncomfortable and you feel it will really impact your flying then speak up and say this just isn't working. My horizon when the glass was closed was a 50 degree bank to the left - it's alsmost impossible to fly straight and level like that, much less do maneuvers. I can't comment on the "get a haircut" - my skull was pressed up against the glass but i can see how guys would try that line lol.

I didn't - I should have requested to stay the week and knock it out but I was sent home the day after once a flight opened up. I regret that decision not to stay the 1st week b/c they spoon feed the info to you (more like firehose it into you but they cover everything you need to know for the test and they do it in a week rather than 15 weeks from what my FBO is telling me - I'll just study on my own and with the instructr a bit after flights) The FBO i'm going to has a study guide packet and Gleims is part of it. I'll look into the Sporty's app as well.

Appreciate the advice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So if you had your PPL did they say what they'd do? I'm going to be a tight squeeze as well, and although I have my PPL AFRC says I'm going.

If you have your PPL you don't have to go through IFS - period. One guy had his and they sent him home. Having a PPL is an automatic waiver and you are cleared for UPT.

Im wondering this as well. My hiring unit (AFRC) said that I would be going to IFS even though I have my PPL and that all their previous pilot trainees have gone to IFS, PPL or not. Im just wondering because I have heard conflicting information. Everywhere I read, including the DOSS pre arrival guide, says that IFS is exempt for PPL holders, but the chief pilot at my hiring unit is saying that I will go regardless. I have even heard that it is the unit's preference. Any news on this from recent AFRC UPT studs?