Standard Interview Questions

I've just been informed I'll be allowed to visit an ANG base before I submit my application. I was wondering a few things. Hopefully one of you that's currently in can help me out.

1) How do these normally go? Do you just sit around and chat for an hour or something? Do you get to see the aircraft? Grab a beer? Get a tour of the base? I am going to go into it expecting more than just myself there, but who knows.

2) What questions should I make SURE to ask to leave a lasting positive impression? If you are currently an ANG pilot, what would you like a prospect to ask you? What do you wish you asked? I figure that way when they see my name on my packet, this positive interaction will increase the odds of being selected for an interview.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

1 hour ago, tbro96 said:

Any help would be very much appreciated!

From a guy who is not an ANG pilot, answering #2 with my past experience: Do your own research, learn as much as possible about the airframe, unit, and mission on your own. Then ask the questions. Your questions will be more educated, genuine, and ultimately peak your own interest; therefore, likely to lead to more meaningful conversations and connections. 

Telling you what to ask is not you being yourself. The quickest way for them to turn you down, is for you to ask some BS questions with the sole purpose of leaving a lasting impression to get an interview. They will see any hubris or mock version of you. Just be yourself and you will be perfectly fine. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Stay as long as you can/like, but dont feel like you have to be the last one to leave. Let it be organic. Just get to know people and the squadron and see if you'd be a fit there. Ask guys about flying/not flying things. If you drink, dont get stupid, you gotta drive home remember. Alcohol is a good way for places to gauge people too. Are you gonna handle yourself at the bar while TDY or on a trip? Sit in on any briefings/meetings you can and dont be afraid to ask questions. At least stick around until after lunch, and if its a Friday/Saturday stick around after everyone gets let off and hangs out, if that happens at that unit. Each one is different. 

• 4 weeks later...

Interviewed at F-16 / C-130 units. 17 applications, and 4 interviews later I got the call that I was elected to fly C-130 J’s with an ANG unit. Thankful for forums like this that helped me prepare for my interviews! If y'all have and Q's or I can help in anyway feel free to reach out! Cheers!

Interview Questions: 

Why this unit? Why this airframe?

Your biggest success in life?

You know we deploy right? How do you feel about this?

Tell us about a time when you failed but it worked in your favor?

If we’re on TDY to Alaska, could you teach us how to fly fish?

Is your family on board for moving to (location)

What are your 10/20-year goals?

Is there anything that would medically DQ you?

The guy in charge of all the Nav’s asked me if I would consider a nav position (Hard question to answer, I put it in a way that I would not be opposed to considering the opportunity however it is something I would need to talk over with my support group)

Best flying story?

Things are popping off with Russia right now, we just got Top Secret clearances, is there anything that would stop you from getting that on your record?

You’re going to be working with some salty Loadmasters, how do you deal with working with someone grouchy and older than you?

How many flying hours do you have?

What are your plans post-seasoning?

Air Force Core Values?

*Showed video through targeting pod of their previous deployment and dropping bombs on adversaries* then asked How do you feel about this?

Visual Recognition of: F-16, F-15, F-4, F-35, B-1, B-2, B-52, P-51, SU-27

The scariest time you’ve had while flying? 

What are your hobbies outside of flying? 

Tell me about a time with your previous employer where you didn’t get along with or agree with a supervisor or co-worker?

Is cereal a soup? If so, why? If not, why?

Squadrons watching a movie at the bar, you’re in charge, which movie are we watching?

Tell me about a time you had to overcome adversity?

What is a quality that you think a fighter pilot needs to exemplify?

There are a lot of really sharp guys here today. Sell yourself / any final remarks?

Edited by HerkJDriver

• 1 month later...

If you are interested in flying fighters, I am going to be doing zoom calls with people who have been recently hired by guard units. I will chat with them for about 30 minutes and then we will open it up for questions. We will discuss a lot of topics/questions brought up in this forum. 

I have been flying F16s for 8 years now both on active duty and in the guard. If you are interested in listening in on these zoom calls please send your name and cell phone number to fighterpilothumancapital@gmail.com 

I will reach out to you and get you added to the zoom link distro list. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, demmatony said:

If you are interested in flying fighters, I am going to be doing zoom calls with people who have been recently hired by guard units. I will chat with them for about 30 minutes and then we will open it up for questions. We will discuss a lot of topics/questions brought up in this forum. 

I have been flying F16s for 8 years now both on active duty and in the guard. If you are interested in listening in on these zoom calls please send your name and cell phone number to fighterpilothumancapital@gmail.com 

I will reach out to you and get you added to the zoom link distro list. 

Confirm no cost? Is this an advertisement for services or just a bro opportunity? 

47 minutes ago, DFRESH said:

Confirm no cost? Is this an advertisement for services or just a bro opportunity? 

That is correct, no cost. I would actually like to explain more about the project to you if you have a chance? I think your experience/knowledge could greatly help me reach the audience this would benefit. Would you be available for a phone call?

Howdy y'all,

Long time stalker, first time poster.

Wanted to contribute to this thread as this was integral to my success in securing a fighter slot this past spring. Almost everything that was asked had some roots in what has already been said here. The one thing that I'd never heard before was something along the lines of: "You're going to get back from the B-Course and be qualified to fly one of the most advanced weapon systems in the world, and I'm going to make you make coffee and popcorn. How do you feel about this? Do you know why we do this?"

In addition, I was asked very tailored questions as I had been rushing and interviewing with the squadron for the previous 2.5 years. This, being my third round with the unit, was the most relaxed interview I had ever been in.

General gouge for the readers: if you are anything like me, you have been viewing this pursuit in the form of checking off boxes. In my humble opinion, that is the wrong way to think of it at the interview stage of the game. The reason why I got the slot this year was that I truly got to know myself outside of my desire for this career. This gave me a deeper understanding of my motives and inner character, which allowed me to communicate effectively and confidently in the interview.

Number one piece of advice for the applicant who gets their first interview: think introspectively and truly get to know yourself before going in.

Best of luck to everyone!

Edited by poko8jordan
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

• 3 weeks later...

I am curious, anyone ever seen a fighter squadron hire a legacy airline pilot. You always see guys transitioning from mil to airline but just wondering how common it is to see guys go the other way around.

2 years I was incredibly fortunate to get hired by a squadron, but unfortunately due to circumstances out of my control it didn't go through. Now, I am at a legacy carrier and UQR'ing out of the Army and would like to give going to the Air Guard another shot.

• 2 months later...

I was fortunate enough to be hired by a reserve tanker unit a few months ago coming off of AD. The interview was relaxed and professional, and everyone there was nice and welcoming. The board was made up of 5 pilots and 2 boom operators. They went around the table each asking one question. I couldn't remember all of the questions but here are some of what they asked:

- How will you adapt to having to move, finding a civilian job, and your commitments to this unit in a relatively short period of time?

- How would you handle working with both officer and enlisted aircrew?

- What would you do if you are not hired at this unit?

- Would you be willing to do AGR time? What if that AGR timeline affected your next civilian job?

- Where do you plan on living?

- What value would you bring to the unit?

Then they invited everyone who interviewed in person out to lunch. It was informal, had a great time with everyone. They also invited us to a squadron vs squadron softball game the next day. I was the only applicant to show up to the game. I happened to meet the Sq/CC there and had some small talk with him. Really enjoyed everything, very happy to be joining the unit.

Also, thanks to all those who contribute here. I went through many pages of posts before going to my interview and it definitely helped.

• 4 months later...
On 6/27/2022 at 12:12 PM, FliesForLunch said:

I am curious, anyone ever seen a fighter squadron hire a legacy airline pilot. You always see guys transitioning from mil to airline but just wondering how common it is to see guys go the other way around.

2 years I was incredibly fortunate to get hired by a squadron, but unfortunately due to circumstances out of my control it didn't go through. Now, I am at a legacy carrier and UQR'ing out of the Army and would like to give going to the Air Guard another shot.

Yup. A guy I'm with in OTS right now is a major airline guy hired into a fighter unit