Motorcycle Riders Thread

Ram

Went in 08 and will probably not make it back from my vaca in SWA until the day of the race. I'm planning to head out to Indy for MotoGP again and maybe check out the NOLA track for AMA. Would love to be on the other side of the pit wall for a change and I have an umbrella girl if you needed one! Wish my timing was better. Hopefully the track near me in Austin will be on the AMA schedule next year.

Got my team put together and I'm currently at Miller doing some club racing getting ready for next weekend. Don't know if I'll make NOLA but I'll be at Laguna for sure. I'd love to do Austin, so I might see you there next year. My AMA number is 713.

Happy to report that I got back to flying 2 months earlier than planned. Felt so great to get back and refuel again. I was lucky enough to refuel the A-10's that were doing the flyover for the Indy 500. Good to be back in the air.

• Upvote 1

Got my team put together and I'm currently at Miller doing some club racing getting ready for next weekend. Don't know if I'll make NOLA but I'll be at Laguna for sure. I'd love to do Austin, so I might see you there next year. My AMA number is 713.

FYI, I qualified for and finished my first AMA pro race. Not bad for an active duty pilot. I've been racing since 2000 and always battling commanders who didn't understand. I've only been seriously injured once, and that was during a non-flying assignment so I can say I've never missed a flight due to my hobby in 12 years. I'll be at Laguna Seca in July running AMA supersport, I'm #713. If anybody will be there, stop by and say hi! If anybody has a business they want to promote on my bike in front of 50,000+ fans, maybe we can work a deal because I have NO sponsorship!

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

EDW is getting strict on backpacks. Anybody know a reflective, high-vis backpack other than the Icon Squad II with its ridiculous integrated vest?

They don't allow a reflective belt wrapped around the backpack? Is it a new wing commander policy or a new interpretation of the regs?

They don't allow a reflective belt wrapped around the backpack? Is it a new wing commander policy or a new interpretation of the regs?

Last time I tried with a reflective belt, 2010, I was told "last time allowed". I happened to have an old Black Diamond approach bag that is bright orange. They told me that with that it was fine even without reflective stuff. Now I have a Harley with saddlebags...

Here at Offutt they (rent a cops) were telling the contractors coming on they would have to present their safety course cards. That got knocked down by our crusty retirees quickly.

I ride with the reflective belt now. Rent a cops said I had to.

This backpack looks promising:

http://www.amazon.com/R3-Safety-993701-Hi-Visibility-Green/dp/B006JSP1BK/ref=sr_1_2?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1341847908&sr=1-2&keywords=reflective+backpack

I bought one similar to it a couple years ago. I seem to remember reading the reg to say that backpacks had to be brightly colored for daytime and reflective at night (both good ideas). The one I got I bought to match my yellow Icon vest.

In June, there appear to be as many motorcycle deaths as suicides and the two causes together nearly doubled all other deaths combined.

Ride safe.

I am required to keep this up for my current duty and noticed the same thing. Also noticed that a lot of them were not due to rider fault. There was one that was just.. a doozy. It was marked (U) but don't know if I shoudl replicate here.

Edited by gearpig

I have a question. I'm at a tenant unit completely isolated from other US forces. I registered my bike through Ramstein even though I don't live there (more than a few hours away) I had about 30 days before my MSF card expired, and the German guy almost didn't let me register since I didn't have an MSF with my current bike. It is a 2012 Road King that I was just picking up, so no way to have done the course with that bike.

Is this a new thing DOD wide, or was it just a peculiarity of Ramstein? When I finally go back to a US base with my bike are they going to hassle me because I don't have a current card? I can't get a TDY just for the course, and don't feel like taking leave to do it. Right now I get away with it because I'm the only US guy I ever see.

I have only taken the experienced course once and that was back in 2002, on a different bike that I currently own now and I have never been hassled about getting on base while riding.

I have a question. I'm at a tenant unit completely isolated from other US forces. I registered my bike through Ramstein even though I don't live there (more than a few hours away) I had about 30 days before my MSF card expired, and the German guy almost didn't let me register since I didn't have an MSF with my current bike. It is a 2012 Road King that I was just picking up, so no way to have done the course with that bike. Is this a new thing DOD wide, or was it just a peculiarity of Ramstein? When I finally go back to a US base with my bike are they going to hassle me because I don't have a current card? I can't get a TDY just for the course, and don't feel like taking leave to do it. Right now I get away with it because I'm the only US guy I ever see.

If you are the only US guy at an isolated location, you could always open your own safety office, put yourself in charge, create your own safety course and issue yourself a current MSF card...problem solved and a great OPR bullet. If anyone ever calls you on it, you tell them of course there's a safety office, who do you think issued the card?

Edited by Mambo
  • Upvote 1

I'm a rider and I found this interesting...

In June, there appear to be as many motorcycle deaths as suicides and the two causes together nearly doubled all other deaths combined.

Ride safe.

What's wrong with this picture...

Edited by gearpig

I too had noticed a lot of deaths recently from motorcycle accidents. Wasn't sure if it was because I almost took the long nap in January and I was more aware of it, or if it was happening that often. Definitely not good though.

Been at least one blue on blue, 2 with alcohol in the rider, and another with it in the cage driver. A few just seem like bad luck. That's what I can remember.

Can't wait for the safety CBT for SA on a motorcycle.

Lot of young guys getting whacked. Pretty sad. :beer:

What's wrong is that he's insinuating there is a relationship between riding motorcycles and suicides, namely that both are tragic and wrong, by pairing the two together to combine them against other losses.

They shouldn't be compared against each other. If they should be paired, then contrasted why? Other than political ammo against riding what other reason exists?

For motorcyclists, particularly in states with short riding seasons, the warm weather and long days of the summer lend way to a massive flux in the number of bikes on the road. I think the rise in accidents/deaths directly correlates to that increased number of bikes. Additionally, I see a lot less PPE being worn during the summer because of the heat, and riding is more enjoyable in warm weather so people tend to "cruise" and drive less defensively than in the colder months when the goal is just getting from Point A to Point B.

Bottom line is there are always going to be motorcycle deaths that cannot be prevented, but the majority of accidents could have been avoided. Ride safe.

By the way, gearpig the KTM950 is a badass bike, I really want a KTM. I'm a fellow dual-sport rider (Suzuki DRZ400S).

I hope riders wise up and the numbers come down so that no one has any political ammo against riding. That's all. :beer:

I ride every day. I am bummed every time someone gets hurt or killed on a bike, especially when it could've been prevented with some proper gear and some attention to detail.

I ride every day. I am bummed every time someone gets hurt or killed on a bike, especially when it could've been prevented with some proper gear and some attention to detail.

+1

I just rode by an accident scene tonight; EMT's were loading a dude in shorts and a t-shirt into an ambulance while his Hayabusa was scattered all over the intersection as I went by. At least it looked like he was alive. Still, I don't know what people are thinking. If it's too hot out to wear gear, maybe you should drive!

i think more people are riding too, especially with gas prices up. I see a ton more bikes on base (everywhere, for that matter). Its getting to be more and more like europe, where everyone rides, as our gas prices begin to match theirs.. I see little old ladies on scooters, and even more concerning is the number of bikes im seeing in the high school parking lot in my town.. Hell, my wife just bought a sportster, which scares the shit out of me, but it was either let her buy one, or sell mine..

bottom line remains, and it's been mentioned.. attention to detail in all areas; ppe, route, tactics, equipment, etc..

i think more people are riding too, especially with gas prices up. I see a ton more bikes on base (everywhere, for that matter). Its getting to be more and more like europe, where everyone rides, as our gas prices begin to match theirs.. I see little old ladies on scooters, and even more concerning is the number of bikes im seeing in the high school parking lot in my town.. Hell, my wife just bought a sportster, which scares the shit out of me, but it was either let her buy one, or sell mine.. bottom line remains, and it's been mentioned.. attention to detail in all areas; ppe, route, tactics, equipment, etc..

There are so many advantages to riding -- gas money (I save about $5 every day that I ride to work vs. driving), cheap registration ($20 for 2 years in WI vs. ~$100 per year for cars), cheap insurance (if you're not 20-something with a sportsbike that is), easy to maintain yourself, easy to find parking, you get to enjoy the weather, it's more fun than driving, etc. etc.

Then again like you point out a lot of riders don't look at the details. You have to frickin wear gear. I've had people tell me "I spent all my money on my bike, I can't afford a helmet and jacket!" Well maybe you can't afford to ride then dude. You have to adjust your habits compared to driving. Maybe you can get away with a couple beers before you drive home, but you probably shouldn't when you're riding! You can't just hop on a 170hp bike and be safe; it takes a lot more training/experience to be a proficient rider compared to driving!

Motorcycling is an awesome and rewarding hobby, and it's practical in a lot of ways (at least that's what I tell my wife). But there are people that obviously don't think things through before they ride, and unfortunately that is pretty dangerous.

i think more people are riding too, especially with gas prices up.

Why I started. Got my license stationed at Vandy because the commute (40 min) and gas (~$3.99) Now.. it's the only way to get from A to B.