F-22 Edwards Crash

Guest ski&fly fast

From LM:

LM Mourns the Loss of F-22 Test Pilot David Cooley

FORT WORTH, Texas, March 25, 2009

Lockheed Martin test pilot David Cooley, 49, was killed Wednesday at about 10 a.m. Pacific time in the crash of an F-22 aircraft flying on a test mission from Edwards AFB, California. We are deeply saddened by the loss of David and our concerns, thoughts and prayers at this time are with his family. David joined Lockheed Martin in 2003 and was a 21-year veteran of the U.S. Air Force. He worked at the F-22 Combined Test Force, where a team of Lockheed Martin and Air Force pilots conduct F-22 aircraft testing.

Him. Him :beer: :beer:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rubber_Side_Down

Damn...I was hoping for a happier ending to this one. When the story broke, I was afraid that the pilot didn't make it. Ever notice that when a mil plane goes down and the guy is able to get out that they announce it right away? "This morning, a ____ Air Force jet crashed near ____. The pilot ejected." It's when they say nothing that it usually turns out for the worst.

Godspeed, Dave Cooley.

It's been a long day at Edwards. I was talking to Life Support guys when the call came in. Knew the whole day that the transponder on the ejections seat never went off and what that likely meant. Had to tell one of his close friends that he was the pilot and didn't make it. I think I am going to have a couple of drinks.

My prayers are with his family.

Praying for your family!

2 that.

When I first heard, I was sitting on the beach and got a call from a family member. I thought about the supposed C-17 crash in Texas the other day that CNN reported but didn't happen. I was sad to hear this report wasn't false.

In a smaller matter, I hope this doesn't affect the chances to buy more, but I think it'll be used as an excuse or support for cutting the number at 183.

Guest ski&fly fast
Damn...I was hoping for a happier ending to this one. When the story broke, I was afraid that the pilot didn't make it. Ever notice that when a mil plane goes down and the guy is able to get out that they announce it right away? "This morning, a ____ Air Force jet crashed near ____. The pilot ejected." It's when they say nothing that it usually turns out for the worst.

Godspeed, Dave Cooley.

Yea, but it seems reasonable, but makes sense they need to contact the family and everything before the news is plastered all over the internet/ t.v. Godspeed :beer: :beer:

• 4 months later...
July 31, 2009 - Air Force Materiel Command officials released an accident investigation report that determined that human factors associated with high gravitational forces caused the March 25 crash of an F-22 test aircraft 35 miles outside of Edwards AFB. The test pilot, David Cooley, a Lockheed Martin employee, was killed in the mishap.

Mr. Cooley was a former Air Force pilot with significant flight experience, including in the F-22. The aircraft, assigned to the Air Force Flight Test Center at Edwards AFB, was destroyed. Total cost of the aircraft, equipment damage and property restoration has been estimated at $155 million.

According to the report, Mr. Cooley was conducting high-G maneuvers, which test aircraft capabilities and integrated equipment, prior to the accident. Witness statements, voice and telemetry data and simulations show he completed two of three planned tests. During his third test maneuver, however, he appeared to have been subjected to increased physiological stressors associated with high-G maneuvers, according to the report.

The board concluded this led to an "almost" loss of consciousness and lack of situational awareness, causing Mr. Cooley to delay his aircraft recovery maneuver.

The report states, "The [mission test pilot] regained partial [situational awareness] and attempted a late recovery from the test maneuver but determined there was inadequate altitude for a safe recovery and ejected."

Due to the speed of the aircraft and the windblast, the pilot immediately sustained fatal, blunt force trauma injuries upon ejection.

The accident board concluded that the aircraft itself was functioning normally and that there were no design or airworthiness issues that would impact the safe operation of the F-22 fleet.

"The loss of Mr. Cooley is tragic and keenly felt by everyone who knew him," said Maj. Gen. David W. Eidsaune, the Accident Investigation Board president. He was a superior test pilot and a member of the Air Force family. His service as a test pilot helped enhance the capabilities of fighter aircraft. Our thoughts and prayers continue to include the Cooley family."

Haven't other guys ejected over Mach 1 and survived? I recall reading something about a Hun driver doing that back in the 60s. I guess it all depends on a load of factors. (going 1.3 at 3000 AGL is rather outside the safe ejection envelope...)

Haven't other guys ejected over Mach 1 and survived? I recall reading something about a Hun driver doing that back in the 60s. I guess it all depends on a load of factors. (going 1.3 at 3000 AGL is rather outside the safe ejection envelope...)

In 1995, an F-15E crew got spatially disoriented after their instruments froze on a night sortie. The only reason they knew something was wrong was because they heard the wind rush from outside the canopy - they were pointed at the ground going over 600 knots (above mach). The WSO (Capt Dennis White) died, but the pilot (Capt Brian Udell) survived with massive injuries. He holds the record for surviving the highest speed ejection from a US fighter.

Here is a story from Airman magazine and here is the story from the horse's mouth - not for the squeamish.

Here's a snippet from the less graphic text:

With his teeth and one functioning arm, Brian feverishly retrieved a one-man life raft that hung from a fifteen-foot lanyard off his right hip only seconds before entering the water. After popping back to the surface like a bobber on fishing line, the salt water made him painfully aware of the open wounds, cuts, and scrapes that were strewn over his broken body. As he kicked his legs, Brian's lower limbs felt as though only a thread attached them (he says in the video his leg was attached only by an artery, veins, and skin). He survived four grueling hours 65 miles off the Atlantic Coast in 60-degree water, 5-foot seas, and 15 M.P.H. winds at night.

Back to the topic at hand - I wasn't aware that LM contractors flew test aircraft. Anybody know the approximate ratio of active duty to civilian test pilots?

Back to the topic at hand - I wasn't aware that LM contractors flew test aircraft. Anybody know the approximate ratio of active duty to civilian test pilots?

It depends on how far along the test program is and exactly how the T&E portion of the contract was written. I'd guess that the Raptor CTF is about 20% civilian flyers. For comparision, the JSF right now has about 90% contractors flying it. As the JSF gets further along in testing, that ratio will squeeze down to 10-20% civilian over the next five years.

For those with access, read the SIB report. I'm not sure how often this happens, but the SIB and the AIB reports definately disagree. Anyone with more knowledge of the safety/investigative process willing to comment on the reasons for such a disagreement?

one big diff is that any witness statements given for an SIB can be given privilege, whereas statements given for an AIB will never be privileged. The AIB can only get the factual TAB 1 data from the SIB; nothing from TAB 2...an SIB is all about preventing future mishaps, and an AIB is all about laying blame somewhere.

they can ask the same questions, but they won't be answered the same way. AIB doesn't get a list of questions from the SIB, just the list of interviewees.

"Tell me what happened."

SIB = "I accidentally pulled both throttles back to idle, realized my mistake, pushed them immediately forward to MIL, and that caused both engines to compressor stall. I freaked out, forgot my boldface, and ejected."

AIB = "Both engines compressor stalled so I ejected."

AIB is a criminal investigation and there can be serious consequences for whomever is found at fault. SIB doesn't come with any consequences.