B2 Crashes in Guam

Stiffler

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We saw those guys out beating up the pattern when we were at Andersen for Christmas Drops in December (we actually shared our Life Support shop/locker room with them). It's still weird to see those thing fly. Pretty crazy that they actually crashed on the base when they have all that water that they could have hit. I'll be curious to hear the safety report from this one (if at all.)

Edited by LockheedFix

looks like it crashed right on the rwy. www.kuam.com. GLAD to hear the guys made it out okay.

on a lighter note...a BUFF from kbad had to land at the airport here at minot. the weather was socked in at the base, and they were down to 20k fuel. not a big deal for most jets, but considering the BUFF burns up quite a bit of fuel and the rwy at the airport is only 7700' long, i am sure it was a bit sporty. good job by those guys.

Edited by b52gator

on a lighter note...a BUFF from kbad had to land at the airport here at minot. the weather was socked in at the base, and they were down to 20k fuel. not a big deal for most jets, but considering the BUFF burns up quite a bit of fuel and the rwy at the airport is only 7700' long, i am sure it was a bit sporty. good job by those guys.

They were supposed to come home yesterday afternoon or today. I was told they got a waiver to fly out of Minot "international" at light GW over to Minot AFB to gas and go back to Barksdale. I was also told they were down to 16K on the gas (4K per main). The main fuel tanks are so large that below 6K/main there is no guarantee the boost pumps won't suck air in, which is one of the reasons we keep the crossfeeds open in the traffic pattern. 16K is the lightest I've ever heard of anyone landing.

Edited by Cam

I guess this dispels the rumor that the ejection handles trigger a video of the CSAF saying "Oh no you don't, try harder".

True!

Guest thefranchise

2008 has been a bad year so far for flying it seems!

1 B2

3 F15s

1 E6

1 F16

2 F18s

2 T6s

glad they made it out OK!

I guess this dispels the rumor that the ejection handles trigger a video of the CSAF saying "Oh no you don't, try harder".

Funniest thing (to me) I've read on this board ever! Nicely done. :notworthy:

Classic....

Sad thing is it will probably take more accidents like this before congress and the public realize the AF is in desperate need of new iron across the board.

Edited by osulax05

Guest billpritjr
Classic....

Sad thing is it will probably take more accidents like this before congress and the public realize the AF is in desperate need of new iron across the board.

Just curious why this particular accident (the B-2) falls under the "we need new iron" column ?

AF.mil B-2 Fact Sheet

Unit cost: Approximately $1.157 billion (fiscal 98 constant dollars)

Glad the guys made it out OK.

Cap-10 :flag_waving:

As an Exec at Whiteman for all of last year for the OSS, I reviewed probably 250 OPRs/EPRs, and EVERY ONE of them had to have a bullet in them about "Supporting assets that cost $2.2B a piece".

Guest mjk5401
2008 has been a bad year so far for flying it seems!

1 B2

3 F15s

1 E6

1 F16

2 F18s

2 T6s

glad they made it out OK!

That's not from Jan 1 2008. You have some 2007 numbers in there. That would be hella scary if those numbers were from just two months. I think theres been 5 so far this year (just a guess).

As an Exec at Whiteman for all of last year for the OSS, I reviewed probably 250 OPRs/EPRs, and EVERY ONE of them had to have a bullet in them about "Supporting assets that cost $2.2B a piece".

Just another example of over-inflated OPRs.

Either way, it's not really that important. The important thing is that the pilots are OK. The next important thing is figuring out the why so that it doesn't repeat itself.

Guest PilotKD

It's an OPR. You're allowed round up (or down) to the nearest Billion depending on what makes you look better on paper.