ROTC Detachment Activities/Traditions

Guest twood

Guest twood

I'm going out for wing commander for my det next year and I was wondering what are some activities other dets do other than paintball, basetrips, and the standard thing like that. I want to see if I can't get my det. out to moody to go to CATM or whitewater rafting.........basically i want to do something that has never been done at our det. So if yall could post some of the activites your dets. do that most dont that would be great.

thx

Wing King eh.. Good Luck.

At 905 a group of cadets and ou NCOIC were up at Fairchild on a CATM/ firing range trip (can you say RPGs at 0700 hrs?) Next week they are going on a trip to see the dog show with a cadet getting WRAP certified and taken down by Fluffy The Wonder Pooch.

Rafting would be a great Idea. Too bad you would have to come to Idaho for good water :D

I'm going to apply for wing king for the fall as well. My Det has an annual paintball event paid for by the esprit de corps money we get. We also have an annual base visit to a "nearby" AFB that lasts for a few days. How about a combat dining in?

I don't know where you are located or how many dets are near you, but here in southern California the five detachments get together each year for a big field day. Organize one of those and it'd look pretty good. Hope that helps!

Guest BUpilot05

I'm the Vice this semester. Some things we've implemented include: Marine Corps L.I.N.E. hand to hand combat training taught by Marines, Firearms training, Paintball against another det, CPR certification, CRUD team, ROTC intramural sports teams, and an all out FTX(myles gear, pyro, weapons/knife defense, real 16s)

We set the bar pretty high this year in Boston. I hope some of these ideas help.

Mike

MOODY BOUND

We hosted our first annual "GAMA Cup" this year at my Det. It was the brainchild of our Wing/CC, and it turned out very well. We had several Southeatsern schools come for a field day. We also have an annual AF vs. Navy field day(Army never shows). These are fun events, and a great way to start a legacy. For us, the winning school hosts the field day the next year, so you can say that you are going to work with other wing/cc's and possibly other services. This might look good to your Cadre. Good luck!

Guest twood

C17,

You a GT guy? I'm from Valdosta State, we came up there to compete for the GAMA Cup. It was a good time, its a small world huh?

Guest twood

BU pilot,

Our det. is about 10 miles from moody and we tried to get myles gear as well for our dep ex, but for some reason we couldnt. Could you tell me a little bit more about what all you had to do for the unarmed combat and what all went into putting together your dep ex. also if you want any info about the Valdosta area let me know.

Guest twood

We only have AF at our school, so that flushes joint-services field day as well. If I cant get us out to CATM at moody ill try to take the det to go shoot trap/skeet or something.......i still cant believe some of the kids that go to FT have never fired a gun before

thx for the idea fellas

Guest kwarner04

I was in your shoes a few semesters back, and something we did that went over really well (the officers loved it and so did the cadets) was one of the high ropes courses. We took all the POC cadets out to one of those courses where you have to jump off the top of a 30' high log and grab a trapeze and other cool stuff like that.

The officers really liked it cause after every station, we briefly talked about applying what we learned to running the det and the cadets liked it cause it wasn't a briefing or something normal like that.

Just an idea.

Keg Parties, those fall under "non-affiliated" events right??

We are going to be doing a FTX for 3 days with paintball combat, an airdrop and integrated into that is surviving in the woods while fighting. The COIC wants it so that we can't take ANY food in with us but I think that will get voided as soon as a Cadre memeber hears about it. I think it would be fun; eating bugs, rabbit, each other when the skinny cadets die....

Originally posted by c17wannabe:

We hosted our first annual "GAMA Cup" this year at my Det. It was the brainchild of our Wing/CC, and it turned out very well. We had several Southeatsern schools come for a field day. We also have an annual AF vs. Navy field day(Army never shows). These are fun events, and a great way to start a legacy. For us, the winning school hosts the field day the next year, so you can say that you are going to work with other wing/cc's and possibly other services. This might look good to your Cadre. Good luck!

WAR EAGLE..WE CLEANED HOUSE AT THE GAMA CUP!

Guest pblarson7

I'm also at GT, but I wasn't able to make it to GAMA cup this year so i'm looking forward to next year down at Auburn

• 1 year later...
Guest vectorpecker

Post any cool traditions that your det's have?

i.e. punching new POC in the giblets after returning from field training, etc...

2, however, I am trying to establish among our FTP cadets a thing my class began last year called FAT. Field Alcohol Training. Basically yet another excuse for us to get together and drink, the only stipulation being you must currently be in FTP or have gone through it.

That being said, I think this could be a good thread so that we can share from Det to Det some of the cool stuff we do.

[ 26. November 2006, 01:44: Message edited by: Vandal905 ]

Guest KoolKat

haha...that reminds me.

I used to fill up my camel pak (or is it a bak? anyhoo) with a 6-pack of beer and take it with me to the Embry-Riddle volleyball games.

Although the girls on the volleyball team were some of the best looking ones around...the beer googles definitly helped.

Fourtunately I never got the the volleyball spiked in my direction...I think the reaction time was a little degraded!

BENDY