Question about Parking Tickets

Guest SAROTC

Guest jobe3x

I had a question about parking tickets. I just got parking ticket #4 in 1 1/2 years in the program. I also had a speeding ticket a couple weeks ago. Do you think I have excessive civil involvements? Am I in any danger of losing my enrollment allocation?

Dude, PARK LEGALLY! I had a ticket when I entered AFROTC. Then I got a speeding and parking ticket in the same week during my first semester. I just got another speeding ticket a week ago. My counseling went something like this.

Col: "Cadet Stewart, four tickets is unacceptable for a future Air Force officer. If you get one more seeding ticket you are out of the program."

Basically, with all the cutbacks, they are looking for any excuse to drop cadets. I don't think you are in a bad situation yet, but any more could be bad news. I spend $15-$20 a week on parking, I know it sucks, but our futures are not worth risking because of parking.

Guest Jimbo2552

Yes, My NCO told me during a records review that anymore than 5 your file must go to a board due to the new constraints, especially for AS300s. Also, since they are so close to eachother, that may get your PAS a little angry. I have 4 on my Form 35 myself, but they are lifetime, only one was when I was a freshamn in the program...

Guest lightning4eva

...or you can become a dorky police cadet and get to know all your campus police so if you ever got a ticket they would take care of it for you

...or you get free parking right outside your detachment as a member of the Police Cadets

some cadets get jobs on campus that come w/parking perks

my $.02

@ Det 370 we have parking Nazis too. In fact, the head of the Parking Service is married to the owner of the local towing company...use your imagination!!! it sucks.

anyways, these civil involvements will hurt you when it comes time to measure you against your peers. work hard in other areas and show the cadre the you will be a good officer despite these events. Are you a POC or GMC? If you are a POC, then i would imgaine one more and you will most likely not be around. GMC, at least you will have time to improve if you are allowed to stick around. STOP GETTIN TICKETS. I just bought a $300 radar dectector to ensure i don't screw up the 2 months i have left b4 commissioning by getting my first and only ticket!!!! good luck

Guest jobe3x

Yeah, I'm a GMC this for the spring semester. I really trying hard not to get too many civil involvements. The parking nazi's are evil.

[ 25. March 2005, 09:48: Message edited by: jobe3x ]

Guest lightning4eva

Take chances at FT, try something new, even if you fail, learn from it. Don't try it with any civil involvements.

Another lil tip, if your car is in your name and you have a jerk of a friend that borrows it and gets tickets...make sure you address that ASAP...b/c when they do a background you might want to warn them.

Guest jobe3x

Campus Tickets

It depends on your detachment. Some det record them while others det don't record on campus tickets at all.

[ 25. March 2005, 18:29: Message edited by: jobe3x ]

Remember that parking tickets do not go to the person driving the car. They go to the car itself. Therefore, if you get a ticket from the city police and your dad has his name on the title, you didn't get the ticket. If worse comes to worse, he got the ticket.

As long as the ticket gets paid on a timely basis, the police will not ever bring it up. Exceptions to this happen where you actually get pulled over. Even a broken seatbelt in a car that is not in your name can go on your record.

My advice is this: If the car isn't in your name, pay the parking tickets and forget about them. Report the speeding tickets where the cop actually wrote down your name on the ticket.

[ 25. March 2005, 19:21: Message edited by: sky_king ]

Guest Awol55

You guys are getting way to wrapped around the axle here. Just DO NOT get any tickets, especially movers. Those will follow you for a long time, and as stupid as it sounds, could go to character.

my .02

Guest jobe3x

It's easy to say don't get parking tickets when you don't commute. I commute about 40 minutes to campus from my place. Sometimes it's a struggle to find parking and get class or rotc stuff on time.

[ 28. March 2005, 10:01: Message edited by: jobe3x ]

Originally posted by backseatdriver:

If the tickets are campus tickets given out by students/university employees, why on earth would you report them? They're not civil involvements, they have nothing to do with the police. They're a university fine.

Actually, many Departments of Public Safety and whatnot for universities are the same level as state patrolmen.

Guest lightning4eva
Originally posted by PAB:

...or, be that guy who borrows your friends car and get the tickets in his car.

Just kidding. Are these Campus tickets or are they municipal tickets? Is there a difference?

actually this depends...if you don't report something like this...it might be found somewhere when they are doing your Security Clearance...some schools police (such as some STATE schools) cops report to the State Police...Gotta love UMASS-A

like everyone else has been saying...

1. Don't get tickets

but

2. Don't hide it if you do or your screwed

• 1 year later...

I had 3 parking tickets the summer of my sophomore year. I had 1 during my Junior year and one during my senior year. I'm now 7 months from commissioning and just got a citation for a week expired vehicle inspection sticker for christ's sake! I already told the PAS who didn't seem too concerned, I already have my pilot slot. I'm just hoping that this isn't the straw the breaks the camel's back.

Parking tickets??? Guys come on... you guys need to be more concerned with not being a douche-bag than parking tickets. Speeding tickets are different, but parking tickets, please tell me you are kidding. I cant even tell you how many parking tickets I have received over the years, and guess what I fly in the USAF. Lighten up if you act like that at UPT you are gonna get eaten alive. geez

With regards to speeding and parking tickets, I don't think there is an exact set number of tickets that will automatically become an issue for you.

I think the Air Force looks at it like this: If you are constantly receiving tickets or get a bunch of tickets in a short amount of time, you are establishing a pattern of poor judgment and/or carelessness. That, they believe, could indicate how you will act in the future on more important or sensitive issues. Valid point or not, I don't know, and am not the one to decide that, but that is how they do it.

There citations are completely in your control so there really is no excuse, ie not speeding or parking illegally.

Don't test the waters and be reckless especially in these times of Force Shapping and the RIF. You're just highlighting yourself.

Oh, and since most Universities are State Universities, citations issued by their "parking nazis" or police are legit and COULD (not always) get you into more trouble if you ignore them. They are citations by the state, even if you don't think they are significant. JUST DON'T DO IT.