Mess Dress Party Shirt

Guest jaybird141

Guest jaybird141

I did some searching online and could not find mess dress party shirts. Does anyone know where I could get one online?

Correct, you have to have them made. I had mine done by an alteration shop at Columbus (can't remember the name, but as you start heading down out of town towards base, it was a place on the left next to a video store). You'll go buy a specified amount of whatever fabric you want for the sleeves and back and they'll sew it up. I would think alteration places in most military towns would know how to do it for you, supposedly lots of people get theirs done in Korea.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pilotpm

If any body is at Laughlin, Juanita's is the place to go. She charges 15 bucks and can do them the same day. 830-774-4020 She did mine and a classmates in one afternoon.

• 1 year later...
Guest Hydro130

If no comes up with anything specific, a good tailor should be able to mod an existing shirt for you. The trick would just be to find the cool party-pattern fabric to use.

Cheers, Hydro

If no comes up with anything specific, a good tailor should be able to mod an existing shirt for you. The trick would just be to find the cool party-pattern fabric to use.

Cheers, Hydro

Concur. I had to do this while here in DC. Took a tux shirt, some gnarly fabric from a fabric store, went to the tailor who previously could not get his head around the concept, told him "cut this out, replace with this."

Viola! One party shirt.

Guest Hydro130

This could be a helpful future reference for other bubbas. If you don't mind, post up with further details of how it worked out if/when you get it done.

Cheers, Hydro

Guest Ritalin IV

Beaver was shack on. Here’s the skinny on party shirts-

I ended up finding a mom and pop place right off the bat that knew exactly what I wanted. I anticipated more a$$ pain but it actually took me about 4.69 seconds to find a place just off base and NOT affiliated with Military Clothing. I scored 2 yards of really noisy/obnoxious fabric and took it in. $20 later and I have a nauseating party shirt that would make even the most hard-core SERE instructor puke.

A few points to file in the “gee-wiz” department-

If you have an old shirt (one you’ve already washed once or twice) you might be better off getting a new shirt or washing your party material a couple of times first. This will prevent (a) your material shrinking at a different rate than your shirt and (2) the material from bleeding all over you nice whit shirt the first time. I think you can get around this by going with the same material on each. What I mean is if your shirt is cotton score material that you’re going to have sewn on that is cotton too.

One yard should do ya just fine. I got two yards and was told that it was well more than enough.

I was going to add, “Brush up on your Korean for any explanations” but this step was not required.

If anyone finds them selves in the same boat and can’t find a place to hook you up, the place I went to will take your business if you send it in. I don’t recommend doing this because they only have a local number and no web address (kinda like back in the 80’s but with a credit card slider thingy). Fire away off line if you need more help…

Hope that helps,

-Ritalin

• 3 years later...

Seriously <<jackass>>? Not only is that a shameless plug, but 75 bucks for a party shirt is ridiculous.

Edited by M2
<<jackass>> referred to a spammer whose post was deleted

Do most people go with the Hawaiian theme for their shirts or do you just pick some random fabric and go from there? I was thinking either a Hawaiian print or an airplane print theme for mine but didn't know how a pattern like that would work out on the shirt itself.

• 10 months later...

Thread revival! Does anyone have a suggestions on where I could get a party shirt made in the Las Vegas area? I rather go to somebody whom I don't have to explain the concept too. Otherwise I will just find myself a tailor.

Do most people go with the Hawaiian theme for their shirts or do you just pick some random fabric and go from there? I was thinking either a Hawaiian print or an airplane print theme for mine but didn't know how a pattern like that would work out on the shirt itself.

do whatever random pattern you want.. seriously.. it's not a Hawaiian shirt

• 1 year later...