Minor In Possession

Guest padan1

Guest padan1

Well to make a long story short (without all the circumstantial information) I had 2 MIP's (Minor In Possession/Minor In Consumption, same offense and legal actions for both), one when I was 16 and another when I was 17 about 6 months apart from each other. The ironic thing about all this is that I really dont like alcohol, I actually despise it for many reasons, but at the same time it is fun sometimes with friends and whatnot, that cannot be denied.

The charges were dropped because I agreed to attend a 10 week drug awareness program, as well as because I was not 18 I could not even be formally charged. Atleast in the state of washington. I know that the police reports will probably still show up on my record either way. I never even once had to go to court or anything for it.

I am 20 now and I havent had any speeding tickets or moving violations (just parking tickets living in the city of seattle, we all know how that goes) and no other drug related incidents whatsoever. I will definitely be honest about my MIP's because I know thats just the right thing to do. I do want to try for a pilot slot if I am accepted into the rotc det, and wanted to know how much of an issue that will be.

Not only when I apply, but in the future if I am accepted to go to UPT and all that, will I have to have an interview every six months with some investigator or what? I have read that they are requiring TS clearance paperwork sometime in rotc or before UPT. Who do they actually talk to for TS I've heard neighbors, grandparents, parents, close friends and the references you put down on the application (who in their right mind would put a reference that knows of illegal activites or drug use anyway, lol). I'm not really concerned about who they actually do talk to because but it still would be good information to know.

thanks for the help guys

-padan

Guest Flight

The problem here is that one is excusable as a stupid teenage mistake, but two shows a pattern. I don't think it's to much to overcome, since you're gonna do ROTC. Just be straight up and don't make excuses. Let them know you were wrong, but have corrected things. Your gonna have to really excel in other areas, cause the Air Force is reducing numbers some and it could come up. Just work hard and show you've grown up and learned.

I agree. With both charges being dismissed, it shouldn't be that big of a deal getting into ROTC. Just make sure that you don't screw up while in ROTC. I'm pretty sure that would make it a pretty easy decision that you are out of the corps.

I myself have a selling alcohol to a person underage charge that got dismissed on my record. The NCO's at the detachment said it would not be a problem at all.

To sum up, just don't hide it. Even if it doesn't come up on your record, the DoD will find it somewhere. Then it will be much more difficult to explain.

Originally posted by padan1:

The ironic thing about all this is that I really dont like alcohol, I actually despise it for many reasons, but at the same time it is fun sometimes with friends and whatnot, that cannot be denied.

I would replace that whole statement with "I fu(&*d up. Period, Dot."

From the way you put it in that statement above, it sounds like you are trying to sugar-coat, make excuses, justify, introduce mitigating factors, quible down the significance, etc. If you shorten it to "I f'ed up", it sounds like you've arrived at the mature conclusion that regardless of the circumstances, you are now old and wise enough to avoid those mistakes above in the future.

Other than that, have a shiny four years in ROTC, and you'll be good to go.

Yes, you will have a couple of extra interview sessions with the investigator, but it's no big deal. An extra two to three hours, max. Mine was done during UPT.

Guest Sparrow910

You will be fine. I just got my pilot slot, I had 2 drinking issues before i was 18 (so they don't mean anything, record is cleared) that my det cleared, and 2 more issues when i was a freshmen in the program that almost got me kicked out. I finally learned my lesson and buckled down and now I am one of the top cadets. Just learn from my mistakes...don't be an idiot!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure you will be fine as long as you don't make the same mistake while in ROTC. I have a whole bunch of moving violations, including one negligent driving (second degree) ticket that had to be waived by the Colonel. I took that ticket to court and had it dropped but it still had to be waived (they only requested a case docket, which had no information about the infraction *shrug* but that's what they wanted).

Anyways, this was before I joined AFROTC. I'm only a freshman now and from what I've been told, I'm fine as long as I don't make the same mistakes while in ROTC.

Hopefully it won't affect me. I honestly don't think it will though. I'm not a bad kid. ;) Just in love with fast cars...

Just don't make the same mistakes while in ROTC and I think you will be fine! Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Btw, do you plan on attending detachment 910 (University of Washington)? That is the detachment I'm currently at.

Eluzion,

What do you drive and were you at McChord last Saturday for the Det. Vs. Det. Competition with 905? Now that was a good time.

BTW negligent driving? wow! I got a 24MPH over coming back to Moscow after Spring Break. 1MPH away from reckless. I get to go do the rugdance in front of the Col. I'l let ya'll know how it goes.

Gotta love that SHO!

[ 08. April 2005, 18:49: Message edited by: Vandal905 ]

DB,

U-Dub Kicked our asses. They had been practicing all three sports (Basketball, volleyball, and football) for about a week. So needless to say the WSU/UI team got whipped. But all is not lost next year the competition as well as ARCON (just a rumor) is in Pullman.

Guest MaxStatic
Originally posted by Dirt Beater:

Who ended up winning that circle jerk anyway?

Circle jerk....sounds like it was THE defining moment in many a mange's cadet career. The pinnacle of athleticism, skill, and stratigery...shame we missed it..... ;)

You don't get a TS at ROTC, and very rarely on active duty unless your job requires it. The few pilot jobs that require a TS: most fighters, nuke transport, all AFSOC, some -135 AFSOC tankers, certain DV units. You'll get a secret in ROTC and it will last for 10 years, then they re-read your file and update it for another 10. If you need the TS, there is an assload of paperwork to do, and they interview a bunch of your family and friends. I think it expires every 2 years, and they have to re-certify it.

Guest Rainman A-10

LJ, what fighter guys don't need a TS?

All you ROTC dorks...you are getting a BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION to see if you will be TS eligible. You will not have access to TS/program level info for a long time, if ever.

There is nothing you can do about what is in your past. If you screwed up, don't try to hide it. You are a mort if you get caught lying.

Be advised, there are plenty of briefings you need to get before you ever see anything TS or higher...and that all happens AFTER you supposedly have a TS clnc. You'll know it when you see it, the paperwork you sign saying you'll be happy to live in Kansas if you screw it up will catch your attention.

Yeah, I'm hoping the neg. driving second degree won't hurt me. It's not a felony but still... the worst moving violation you can get I think.

Anyways, yeah I was at the Apple Cup. ;) I rode with another cadet in a big 'ol Suburban. I was uhh wearing blue shorts with a blue Det910 t-shirt. Small asian dude, only played football. What's funny is we have two cadets transfering to your school next year. Apple Cup next year should be a blast though. I am going to request dodge ball. hehe

And yeah, ARCON is over there this year. I'll be there.

I don't know which fighters needed it and which didn't. I just remember that some of my T-38 buddies had to get their TS stuff squared away and others didn't. Maybe they all had to get it done eventually. That was 4 years ago. I am going through the TS process now and it pretty much sucks nuts.

Goin2UPT, you definitely don't need a TS to go to UPT. That would be stupid, considering that a lot of studs don't make it, and a TS costs a crapload of money.

Guest AirGuardian

TS takes along time in "most" cases. Secret goes back 7 years, TS goes back for 10 regarding your whereabouts, whose daughter you were chasing, and what New Orleans wall you were caught pissing on. Either way, it(TS) lasts quite a bit longer than two years and mine is a waste of gov time and money....from what I can see, or is it can't see!

Just make sure you're not caught and put on "Double Secret Probation!"

[ 22. April 2005, 00:59: Message edited by: AirGuardian ]

I have wasted enough time reading posts from guys who know shit, and the idea that you can sum it up in a paragraph shows me that you know about that. Just do what you are told and things will turn out fine. The pilots and wannabes on this board will just have to watch the future or past flash in front of them. Do not waste my time.

Originally posted by ftrWSO:

I have wasted enough time reading posts from guys who know shit, and the idea that you can sum it up in a paragraph shows me that you know about that. Just do what you are told and things will turn out fine. The pilots and wannabes on this board will just have to watch the future or past flash in front of them. Do not waste my time.

What are you talking about exactly? You seem to rant about random things that have little or nothing to do with this string. And I'll be watching the future "flash" in front of me as WSO's are phased out in the next 10-15 years.

Good news to those following the continuing saga of my misadventures on the road. No having to dance in front of the Boss. Rumor has it that he too got pulled over for driving a little briskly. OK he told me before I filled out the paperwork for mine.

Also Eluzion, I think I have a picture of you during the game. And ARCON should be interesting this fall. It has been nicknamed "Trailer Park-Con" Why? because we are trying to do it on the cheap. Yippee. We'll have to see how well that works.

Rant On

ftrWSO, if you don't want to read the posts here go to the General Discussion and find something that interests you and stop wasting OUR time.

Rant Off