ROTC and athletics

Guest Taxcollector

Guest Taxcollector

For all you college guys,

Is it possible to juggle varsity athletics and ROTC together?

Is it possible to still be active with the detachment AND get alot of face time with the CC and cadre?

What are the ups/downs?

Thanks

Tax

My suitemate is a football player at the University of Idaho and he spends more time doing football related stuff than I do in ROTC. there is also a golfer on my floor that we never see because she is always away on tournys. Varsity athletes miss alot of class and if you miss your ROTC class and LLab you can be "removed" from the program for excessive absences. It is ROTC or athletics because both will rule your life in their own. the AFROTC website says it is like 3 hours per week, yeah right. i spend at least 7 hours per week doing ROTC stuff, more often than not more because it is a cross town thing with WSU. If you want more information just email me.

Guest pcampbell

There's a dude in my class that was a track athelete at Cornell. He didn't have time for ROTC as a result, so when he graduated, he went OTS.

For me, my playing time suffered. I played lacrosse, and we went club to varsity my junior year. My coach expected everyone to be 100% committed to the team, like we were D-1 football players or something. Well, lacrosse wasn't gonna pay my bills, especially as a third line middie, but Uncle Sam was. I missed some practices, and I'm still pulling splinters out of my a$$ from riding the pine. Of course, the coach was an asshole, too.

But, both my rommates played and we had fun despite the coach, and I'm too damn stubborn to quit anything anyway, so I stuck with it.

Guest pcampbell
Originally posted by Det002cadet:

Being on the school team is bad juju for ROTC.

What does this mean? Do you have examples?

I've never met a cadet who was also on one of his/her school's sports team.

How many cadets outside of Det002 have you met?

I've met plenty of cadets outside of my det. There's NATCON, FT, the 5 dets in my area get together for a field day every year, etc. By bad juju I mean that being on a sports team is a lot of work and so is ROTC. I know guys who play on the varsity teams at my university and those guys are pretty damn tied up. None of them are in ROTC, btw. I know in high school being on a varisty team took a lot of time with away games and practices.

Guest ground_pounder01

We have one cadet that is one the track team, we are a D-1 school and he is unable to make most llabs. His flt cc makes up objectives and the coc approves it. He is a pretty motivated cadet, has a 3.8 GPA, this is his second semester, and looks like he might do pretty well at both. Id say do it, as long as you know it takes alot of work. Any specific questions let me know.

Originally posted by ground_pounder01:

We have one cadet that is one the track team, we are a D-1 school and he is unable to make most llabs. His flt cc makes up objectives and the coc approves it. He is a pretty motivated cadet, has a 3.8 GPA, this is his second semester, and looks like he might do pretty well at both. Id say do it, as long as you know it takes alot of work. Any specific questions let me know.

Wow. I guess it can be done.

Guest flecth033

The main thing you want to find out is how your cadre feels about it. Some value a cadet having outside responsibilities and others don't want any time taken from ROTC. If they think it is a bad idea then you will have to choose. I switched Dets after transferring and at my old Det there was a guy who played football and ROTC and the Col thought it was good, and at the next det the Col told a cadet to choose between being student council President and ROTC since the council had him tied up on Thursday nights. You should think about the pros and con's each way, and then see what the cadre thinks. GL

• 5 weeks later...
Guest SnakeT38

Stick to intramurals. Being on the school team is bad juju for ROTC. I've never met a cadet who was also on one of his/her school's sports team.

Who says playing sports is "bad juju"? I think

Rainman would seriously disagree with you.

If a person can juggle both in my book, they

are worth 1000 times more than the little "nerd"

that has his/her nose crammed up the PAS' azzhole.

ROTC does not require alot of time when done properly, I know. BTW, if you don't think AF GO's don't like successful college athlete's in the USAF, you have no idea what you are talking about.

My son had a football teammate at TCU who was on an Army ROTC 4 year scholarship, lettered 3 times,

has 5 bowl rings and has just completed his initial helicopter flight school.......when time

is managed correctly anything can be done. As for

conflicts with ROTC staff "saying pick one", that borders on IG worthy complaint, especially if it is a "personal pref" by the PAS and not a reg.

[ 12. April 2005, 20:44: Message edited by: SnakeT38 ]