NAS Pensacola information

Guest HercDouche

Necro bump.

I'm set to report to OTS at the end of the month and I'll be cruising on in to Pensacola in May to begin my wait for nav school.

Long story short, the spousal unit just graduated from nursing school in August of 2011 and plans on hanging around back home in Fort Worth to work out a year with her current job before joining me down in Florida some time in September. The tentative plan, on my end, is to grab a cheap pad for about six months and move into something more wife-friendly once she rolls into town.

She's been scoping out the employment prospects down there, and I guess the best place for her to continue her line of work is in the hospital in Mobile (because its the nearest Level 1 trauma center or something like that). This all sounds fine and good, but I'm wondering what the living situation is out maybe 30 minutes to the West of town -- somewhere halfway between Mobile and PCola. On Google Maps, anyway, it looks like there isn't shit out there. This is all tentative on her finding employment, of course, and is way the hell down the road, but I'm wondering if its actually a viable plan -- like if there's any kind of actual housing out there or if the commute is just going to kick my ass during UNT. She's flexible and willing to work closer to Pensacola, sure, but I figure if shes happy that's one less thing to worry about.

Any guidance?

There are so many places for nurses to work closer to Pensacola. Even in Pensacola there are many job opportunities for nurses. Since it is going to be so temporary, I wouldn't worry too much about how great the work is going to be (I am sure she feels differently). By the time she goes through the hiring process and gets spun up at the job, you will be getting ready to graduate. Not that she should just wait for you, it is just a 60 mile drive will probably suck pretty hard for a temporary job. If you live in the middle of Pensacola and Mobile, things would be easier but still suck.

If she is flexible, finding a job in Pensacola will be a lot easier for both of you.

Edited by one

Just moved down here with the family from The Rock. Took me 69 minutes to find a rent house. 15min to the CSO schoolhouse via back gate. But I used to drive 20-30min one way at The Rock so it's all good. Plus it's less than 2 miles to Perdido Key and I can see Perdido Bay from my house so it makes up for the commute. Living off the back gate is a must. There are 2 rental property management companies run by retired military guys that will get you settled fast. From selecting the house to signing for the keys took me less than 3 hours.

PM me if you want my rental management recommendations or if you have some ?s about the area. I leave for OTS at the end of the month.

I would totally agree that finding somewhere in between would be a major pain, and you just don't want to add any pain to your time here. Most of the time you could deal with it, but when you have a brief that starts at 0530, or earlier when you get to the flightline, and take into account having to finish getting everything ready before the event, I certainly wouldn't want to add another half an hour to that. On the other side when you are at work studying until 9 or so at night another half an hour home just makes your day that much longer.

Sacred Heart Hospital here in Pensacola is a pretty good hospital, and for how short you are going to be here I would think it would suffice. We had a briefing from a guy from their ER and it shounds like they get some pretty serious trauma cases in there.

Ultimately you have to do what is best for your family, so good on you for trying to figure out what is going to work ahead of time instead of just getting here and having it be a mess.

I'm in UNT now and my wife is a nurse too. Jobs are easy to find for the nurse types down here. She got hired during her first interview due to the need for nurses here and the fact she had a BSN as opposed to the standard AN, so if your spouse has a BSN she'll be sitting pretty. There are 3 hospitals, plus Navy Hospital and boatloads of clinics and doctors offices. She'll find something easy, man. From where we are out the back gate, my wife drives 20 minutes to her job on the NW side of town, which is pretty good since she only works 3-4 days a week anyway.

If you have anything specific, or want to put your wife in contact with mine, get at me.

Massive thanks for all of the input.

A half-hour commute would be pretty nasty when you're talking about leaving the house at about 0445. That's what I was afraid of. I've got plenty of time to work out the details and hash it out with her -- she's only going to be down here for a year or so anyway when its all said and done. As hyper-obsessive about her career as she can be, fortunately she's a pretty reasonable lady underneath it all.

PM inbound strategicnap.

Have you looked at any other hospitals in Pensacola? Sacred Heart Hospital is a huge facility. My wife has been in the hospital for 5 weeks due to pregnancy issues and as far as the woman and children's hospital, its the only level 3 facility in the area (closest being Tallahassee). Might be worth a look at Sacred Heart, and would save you guys a serious commute. We have nurses that commute from Mobile and Destin to come HERE.

There is also West Florida and Baptist Hospitals locally.

A half-hour commute would be pretty nasty when you're talking about leaving the house at about 0445.

Btw, I've been told that during the T-1 phase you may have some show times this early. With a commute and getting ready, you might as well not even go to sleep. I can't say 100% though, as I was T-6 complete but not quite to the T-1 flight line when pulled from training to deal with my wife being hospitalized.

The back gate doesn't open up until 0600 during the week, so you would have to drive all the way around to the front gate. Take a look at a map, if you're coming from Mobile and the back gate isn't an option, you are driving the highway all the way to the north part of Pensacola and then its stop and go traffic from the exit. I live on base and to get to the north part of town near the mall/hospital (civilization), its only about 10 miles but can take 35-45 minutes with light traffic.

Edited by LoadClear

• 1 month later...

Most of the time you can work it with your classmates if you live out the back gate for those 0530 briefs, as the guys on base will get in a few minutes before you can with the 0500 back gate time and they can print weather, NOTAMs, etc. Its not that bad.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Bump

Was hoping I could get some updated information on the housing situation down at NAS Pensacola. This thread went back and forth on that situation and I am hoping to get some updated information on whether we have the choice to live on base or off. I am married with two kids but they will more than likely not be coming down to CSO training with me, but I would like to be able to fly them down as much as possible to come visit, meaning I would rather live off base if I have a choice. Any information is very much appreicated, thanks guys.

• 3 months later...

Looks like the wife and kids will be coming down with me! Anyone have good information on places to live off base? Good realty companies to work with? I hear out the back gate is the better place to stay but what has your guys' experience been like. Homes, condo's apartments? Thanks for the input.

Looks like the wife and kids will be coming down with me! Anyone have good information on places to live off base? Good realty companies to work with? I hear out the back gate is the better place to stay but what has your guys' experience been like. Homes, condo's apartments? Thanks for the input.

I lived out the back gate, west of blue angel about 10 mins. Awesome house for a great price (rental). ERA was a decent company to work with. The big thing about living out the back gate is you will have to drive to the front gate on early morning shows. But that's better than living in the shanties outside of the front gate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only drove around to the front once, and that was because I wanted a little extra time to prep.

Had a house on Innerarity Point. Worked with Innerarity Realty, located on Sorrento Rd. just north of the intersection with Gulf Beach/Innerarity. It's run by a bunch of retired Navy guys. They are fair and easy to work with.

I loved it out there. Lived about 2 miles down Innerarity Point Road. You never really have to leave that area around Perdido. Handful of restaurants on the water all around you. Not really touristy, say like Pcola Bch or Gulf Shores. There's a WinnDixie & Publix at the intersection before the bridge to Perdido along with a hardware store. Everything's there. Johnson Bch on Perdido Key is a Nat'l Park, so you get a free pass with a Mil ID. That also helps cut down on crowds. If you have kids, they'll go to Helen-Caro Elementary which is great.

My personal favorite place was Hub Stacey's on Innerarity Point. Live music 3 nights/wk, 50 cent wings & $2 drafts all day, every day.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Heard a rumor the other day that the brass is thinking about moving CSO training back to Randolph... Based on fewer good weather days at NAS Pensacola, advertised cost savings never materialized because the Navy pulled out of the program, and the Navy wants their buildings back. Anyone hearing the same?

I find this fascinating as the B-52 community is about to end its 6 year experiment in dual qualifying n00bs as navs/Radar Navs (never fully embraced in the ops squadrons), which added to this Randolph talk is proof that if you wait long enough, everything old is new again.

I find this fascinating as the B-52 community is about to end its 6 year experiment in dual qualifying n00bs as navs/Radar Navs (never fully embraced in the ops squadrons), which added to this Randolph talk is proof that if you wait long enough, everything old is new again.

Unfortunately false. It's about to get even worse.

Sweet Mary... Didn't we try that in the 1970s? Is this their solution to Pensacola CSOs struggling with basic navigation/time control? Let them gain their airmanship in the *left seat* first? I wouldn't believe you, except I know you're in AFGSC and the fact that they dropped most of the degraded ops currencies in the latest RTM makes what you're saying sound strangely plausible.

On the topic of B-52's. I have a handful of questions that I couldn't find on the other threads.

1. In terms of deployments, I've gathered that Guam is the place to go and that I could expect a 4 month deployment. What is the deployment like as far as living standards, do you cook for yourselves or eat at a chow hall? What kind of sleeping quarters are there?

2. I met a Lt Col R/N who had been out of the cockpit for a handful of years tell me, "The BUFF hasn't seen combat since the Mid 2000s (don't recall which year he said specifically)" Is this true? I know the BUFF is used as a show of force, has it not dropped bombs on bad guys in years?

3. I am aware that not many countries want a nuclear capable aircraft landing on their Tarmac, with the exception of England are there any other countries the plane flies to for training/TDY?

4. I'm one of the few guys interested in the BUFF in my class right now. What would you tell a young buck like myself in regards to the Pros & Cons of entering this career field as a Navigator/Radar Nav?