NAS Pensacola information

Guest HercDouche

Guest Mave1Rick3

I will be going to Pensacola on Jan 3rd, and it my first assignment in the air force. For those of you who have been there or are there currently any insight into life there would be really appreciated.

I just didnt know about things like: I have a PC now, should i purchase a new laptop for Strike nav school?

I have heard that the BOQ is completely full and I should expect to live offbase( is this true), any suggestions of where to livewould be great?

Any other information that people care to share would be awesome?

Pretty much all i know is that I am going to drive on base, and ask the SF guy to point me in the right direction. I am supposed to have a sponsor contact me, but no one has. I have tried calling the Pensacola information number on the website and i havent been able to get in touch with anyone. I am pretty lost, and I have no idea what else i can do, and my detachment has been of NO HELP, all they say is just go down there and see what happens.

Sounds like you're a little discouraged! Not to worry...it really will be pretty easy.

Basically, your Det was right: just show up! Once you get to the front gate, have them give you a base map and/or directions to the VOQ (you'll need to make a reservation ahead of time; if they're full you will have to stay off base. Either way, you claim the expenses on your travel voucher). Once you've got a place to stay for the first few days (until you can either get a BOQ or apartment off base) it'll be time to get in touch with the training squadron.

It's been a few years since I was stationed there (ok, so you would have been a freshman in high school at the time so maybe more than a few) Anyway! If memory serves me, the Air Force has a personnel building somewhere on the main part of the base (as opposed to the hangars where the flying squadrons and naval museum are located on the far west end). They've got a full staff of folks that will help you in-process...things like locator card, active duty ID, SGLI, pay accounts, etc. They should also be able to tell you who your boss will be and/or who to report to and when. I believe the Air Force outfit running the show down there is still the 325 FW/Detachment 1.

As for the housing situation, it'll depend on when you get there. Seems the BOQ is full almost all the time, so that'll mean it's time to rent an apartment or a house. When I was in VT-10, I lived in an apartment on the northeast side of town (out by the mall and airport). After 9 months there, the drive to work (or anywhere) got to be tiresome, but that is coming from someone who had never commuted (now that I've worked in D.C. I have changed my tune!) If I could do it again, I would get a place on the beach or as close to it as possible. A lot of guys would rent houses on or near Perdido key to the west or Gulf Breeze to the east. Guess it depends on your interests and budget.

I've gotta run for now, but I hope that info is helpful. Let me know if you've got any other questions and we'll get you hooked up, as I'm sure there are a lot more people on this board with better/more recent info than me.

Guest Mave1Rick3

hey bergman

Do I have to take a PFT when i get down there, or how do the the PT tests work. do I follow navy or airforce standards ?

You have to take a couple of Navy PFT's. The first one is pass/fail, the second one counts towards your NSS (a very miniscule amount, nothing to sweat). I'll look for the phone number of the MSgt. that handles all of the Pilot and Nav inprocessing and PM it to you. Call him and he'll tell you exactly what to do and when/where to show up. Good luck and look for that PM within the next day or so.

Cheers

I have a friend who's reporting on 1 Feb... He was in town this past weekend to go apartment hunting and said that waiting lists for apartments in the area are starting to form... you might want to try a place called Austin Wood. It's 5 minutes from the back gate and is a pretty nice from what ive heard. Never been there, but the pictures in the apartment finder guide look pretty darn good.

My roommates a strike nav and keeps his laptop here at the apartment... never brings it with him to training.

Dont worry about coming down here without any clue... the liason that pcola stud mentioned is awesome and the base isnt hard to get around at all.

Get the gouge if you havent yet from the internet (search for "API gouge") and if you wanna be ahead, start reading the outlines. It'll save you some stress when everyone else is cramming for the weekly tests.

Oh and one last tip- bring your golf clubs. Rumor has it that mainside pensacola has one of the nicest navy courses in the country. If you dont golf, now would be a good time to start learning!

Cheers

Originally posted by tktktk:

Oh and one last tip- bring your golf clubs. Rumor has it that mainside pensacola has one of the nicest navy courses in the country.

I don't know about the rest of the Navy's golf courses, but Pensacola's is pretty nice. Right on the water and pretty cheap, IIRC. The O'Club there used to be pretty sweet as well...lots of free/cheap beer and pizza is always a good thing!

Guest Mave1Rick3

So I drive to Pcola and pull up to the gate, the SF guy tells me where to go, depending on when I get there I might have to stay in BOQ for the night and then do all my paperwork processing and what not, but should i do all this in ssblues or how does that work ? cause in my drive i will be in civies ?

If your orders say RNLT 3 Jan you may not be able to get ahold of anybody at the phone numbers I gave you. They may not be back from xmas break until the 3rd or the 4th. Regardless, all you'll need to do is get your orders stamped at the Naval Aviation Schools Command (NASC) quarterdeck sometime before midnight on the 3rd. The quarterdeck is manned 24/7, and once you get your orders stamped, you will be covered as far as your RNLT date is concerned. You can go in wearing civvies if you are just going to get your orders stamped (like if you get there after normal business hours), but if you are going to go into the API office to check in, you should be in SS Blues.

If you want, you can pm me your email and I'll send you a .pdf map of the base. You'll need to go to bldg 633. Park around back (across from the bowling alley), then walk around to the front and go in the main doors. This will make sense once you get the map. The quarterdeck is a little office on the right. The person in there, (generally an O-1 student waiting to class up) will tell you how to get to the API offices.

As for checking in to the BOQ, go to the Officer housing office, bldg 600 when you get there. You might want to call in advance if you can find a number for them. If you arrive at the base after COB on the 3rd, just make sure you check in to BOQ (actually you can just rent a hotel off base if you want) and get your orders stamped at the NASC quarterdeck in bldg 633. If you arrive early, you can check in to BOQ and put blues on then go to check in to API, but they will most likely just tell you to get your orders stamped and when to come back for the inprocessing brief. (Usually Tuesday and Thursday mornings at 0900)

Hope I didn't muddy the water for you, there really isn't much to it. To sum it up: Show up, find a place to stay (on or off base but keep your receipts), find bldg 633, get your orders stamped (blues or civvies depending on the time), walk back in to the API offices (in blues, during business hours on the 3rd or the 4th) tell them you are checking in, they will tell you to go home and when to be back and what to bring.

Cheers!

Guest Mave1Rick3

Alright sounds good, I have to report NLT 2400 on Jan 4th. I am drivin from Atlanta on Jan 3rd around 10 or so and I will get there after COB on the 3rd. Figure I will get the inprocessing and all that stuff on the 4the .

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mave1Rick3

I am supposed to take a NOMI flight physical on wednesday down here in Pcola. Anyone know how intensive it is, is it the same as a flying class 1A or is it more intensive. I am just a little worried as I dont wanna fail it something. I have heard people say you are already down here, so you should be fine. Any advice would be appreciated.

LOL. I'm in API right now. I dreaded the NOMI (for no reason). It was kind of funny actually. All the AF pilots that went in that day (like 8 of us) came out with glasses. Already had the FC1 and been through brooks and the Navy decided I needed glasses. But other than that you'll be fine

• 9 months later...
Guest KillYourself

Sorry to pull up an old thread, but any WSO's at Penscola lurking around this board and can offer some updated advice on the whole S/SF process? I'll be heading to Pensacola this summer and thought I might as well start looking into it.

Also, any recommendations on whether to complete NIFT while still in college or wait and do it while on casual at NASP. Twenty hours isn't a huge commitment and would be nice to knock out while still in college but I've heard HQ has been considering bumping it up to the full 50 hours pilots get. If so, it might not be too bad to sit on it for another 6 months and hope the hours get increased by May or June. Just an idea, FWIW.

KillYourself:

Sorry to pull up an old thread, but any WSO's at Penscola lurking around this board and can offer some updated advice on the whole S/SF process? I'll be heading to Pensacola this summer and thought I might as well start looking into it.

I'm a WSO in the B-Course right now. Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have about Pensacola or nav school.

KillYourself:

Also, any recommendations on whether to complete NIFT while still in college or wait and do it while on casual at NASP.

I did NIFT while still in school, but I've heard they won't let you do that anymore. I'd wait untill you show up to Occupied Alabama: hanging out in Pensacola and doing nothing but fly a Cessna two days a week definately has its advantages.

Originally posted by wannafly:

Gouge is pretty much useless for API now. Just study the ELO's and you'll do fine. They are rewriting some of the courses now and the gouge out there hasn't been kept up to date.

Anyone coming to Pensacola (pilot or wso) try www.debich.net for great gouge. Don't trust navygouge . com as it is outdated and some of the test answers are just plain wrong! However, Wannafly is right, ELOs are the key to success!

[ 16. October 2005, 23:05: Message edited by: CrateOfThunder ]

• 5 months later...
Guest lovelacm

Happy Friday, Folks.

Great news.. I've just returned from the Flight Doc's office with my latest 1042 and I can finally head off to NAS Pensacola to knock out my Altitude Chamber Refresher.

My in-laws are in town (I actually really like them.. can you believe it?) and so I'd like to stay local until I jump in the car to drive over for the class come Monday morning.

Any preferred routing, gotchas, etc. on the drive from Eglin? Any gates closed at that hour? Any better streets to take than others? Should I brave the US-98 route along the beach or should I head over via I-10 and down? Lookin' for whatever you'd be willin' to pass along.

Cheers!

Linda

Guest Goodole boy

Im originally from that area and the 98 will take longer because of traffic and the slow speed limits through Navarre and Gulf Breeze so I would try I-10...but if your family wants to see the beach take 98 to Navarre and go over the bridge...from there you can take the beach route all the way to Pensacola Beach

I've always gone 98, but we came through once on a Friday and Destin was a pain to get through. As far as NASP goes, the gates are open 24 hours. But it you're planning on no suprises, I'd probably go for I-10, you never know when the bridge from Gulf Breeze will be blocked due to a wreck.

If you're staying around here, there are some descent places to eat or grab a beer. Just don't plan on hitting the O Club, it's still TU.

Guest lovelacm

Thanks for the quick responses.. The class is just a quick one day refresher, so I'll be headin' back to the house in Niceville afterwards.

Timeframe on the trip over is around 0500ish.. traffic is still bad on 98 at that time of day? Is the bridge from Gulf Breeze a toll bridge like the Mid Bay Bridge over here?

Guest NDwife

Havent been in pensacola since february, but the last time we were there the beach route from navarre beach to pensacola beach was still closed from hurricane damage. I tried to take my parents that route too, but it was a no go. Maybe its open now, but you will have to check that out.

I would suggest taking I-10 to scenic 90 Hwy (the first exit after the bridge) into downtown Pensacola(if you dont want the scenic route you can take I-10 to I-110). If you want to give them some new scenery for the ride home, then I think taking 98 home should be fine by then. Note if you want to take I-10 back to crestview you will have to take davis hwy or I-110 back up to I-10... the on ramp from scenic 90 is closed (caution: the bridge back east is one lane and parts of it are still grating only.. but at night there isnt usually any traffic).

I'm not sure which gulf breeze bridge you mean... the bridge from Gulf Breeze to Pensacola Beach costs $1 (and I think thats only to get onto pensacola beach). The bridge from Avalon(I-10) to Gulf Breeze is a toll bridge, I cant remember the exact price but its expensive.

Guest DaRevrend

I've driven to the Pcola airport at 0500-0600 a couple times and the longest it has taken me is just over an hour from my place in Destin going the 98 route.

Traffic is not bad at all on 98 at that time in the am, and I wouldn't imagine it taking that much longer to get to NAS Pensacola.

Rev

Guest LwNSlo

I live over in gulf breeze..take hwy 98..it will be fine at that time in the morning. Front gate over at NAS is open..was just there wed. to see the Blues.

also no toll on the bay bride connecting gulf breeze to p'cola

[ 07. April 2006, 18:38: Message edited by: LwNSlo ]

Guest ce2be

Take 98. At that time of the day all traffic is going east towards Hurlburt until you get close to P-Cola then it is not that bad. Your trip will be a bit longer going I-10 because it is farther north.

Guest lovelacm

Many thanks, guys. Sounds like I'll cruise down 98, cross over to Pensacola proper, hang a left, and slide in the main gate. I'll be sure to leave a bit of extra time... Planning to be there around 0645.. a 0515 departure sounds about right.. smack me if I'm smokin' crack.

Cheers!

Linda