NAS Pensacola information

Guest HercDouche

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so obviously a lot has changed since this thread was last used (for the most part) so I figured I might restart it with the discussion about the latest Active Duty selection board. If there is another location for this by all means redirect me.

So the new CSO program starting on or about 17 May. Does anyone know if its still the Navy running the show or are they moving the AF instructors all over there and doing it? Also I heard that you have to do the Navy PRT on some shitty ass track down there, is that still the case? Anyways Can't wait to take the next step into the Big Blue flying community, see you all at Pueblo 25 May and at NAS P'cola at some point.

Edited by Dkale

Guest Grinder

The training will be entirely Air Force run. The 479th FTG just stood up a few months ago having a new hangar and new academics building that are just for CSO students. We do the Air Force PFT and run along the sea wall which isn't all that bad.

• 1 month later...
Guest hispeed-lowdrag

So I will be PCS'ing from Shaw AFB to NAS Pensacola in August and am trying to look for a house down in P-cola right now...but last night some friends of a friend who are also going there said we MUST live on base...has anyone been down there recently or know anything about this?

I have looked and looked and can't find any kind of contact info or anything on any of the AF websites or general internet...any help at all would be awesome! Thanks :rock:

Ryan

Guest beachbum3091

That is correct. If you are single, you are required to live on base. The base housing coordinator is Gladies Wooten @(850)452-4412x1016. I'll also be heading over in Aug.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dkale

That is correct. If you are single, you are required to live on base. The base housing coordinator is Gladies Wooten @(850)452-4412x1016. I'll also be heading over in Aug.

You have got to be kidding me?!? I've been in the Air Force nearly 4 years and they are going to force to me to live on base? I might just have to get married real quick for tax and housing purposes....

You have got to be kidding me?!? I've been in the Air Force nearly 4 years and they are going to force to me to live on base? I might just have to get married real quick for tax and housing purposes....

I heard that they are letting 2-3 dudes go together and get a house on base instead of having to live in dorms or whatever. Might be a better option if it's available (and you are stuck onbase).

Tell me about it, 10 years in for me and it's been about 8 since I've had a roommate. A household full of furniture, motorcycle, etc etc... really hoping for an exception to the rule. Anyone know if Gladies has a favorite beverage or flower arrangement? I'm not above bribes.

Guys, is the policy at P-cola different than it was at Randolph or any UPT base? From what I remember, if you're single and there's room in base housing (dorms, etc.) then you must live there while in flight training. That's why they built all those dorms in the first place; not a new issue. You might think it sucks and want to get out of it ASAP but it's not a new issue. Or am I reading this all wrong?

Guys, is the policy at P-cola different than it was at Randolph or any UPT base? From what I remember, if you're single and there's room in base housing (dorms, etc.) then you must live there while in flight training. That's why they built all those dorms in the first place; not a new issue. You might think it sucks and want to get out of it ASAP but it's not a new issue. Or am I reading this all wrong?

I wouldn't say you're reading it wrong but for a few particular situations, this policy seems pretty iron clad with no wiggle room. Call me nuts but I don't want my furniture sitting in storage for a year while i live in the dorms. I also don't want a roommate to have to deal with the times when my 4 year old daughter comes out to visit. I'm not knocking anyone but i think that at 29 years old I'm a bit too old to be having a 22 year old for a roommate........unless of course she is a smoking hot blonde.

I wouldn't say you're reading it wrong but for a few particular situations, this policy seems pretty iron clad with no wiggle room. Call me nuts but I don't want my furniture sitting in storage for a year while i live in the dorms. I also don't want a roommate to have to deal with the times when my 4 year old daughter comes out to visit. I'm not knocking anyone but i think that at 29 years old I'm a bit too old to be having a 22 year old for a roommate........unless of course she is a smoking hot blonde.

I feel ya man, believe me, but I was just surprised that this was a P-cola specific issue since this happens at every flight training base. It's not like what's happening there is different than what happens to prior E or former nav/abm, etc. guys when they go to UPT with a house full of stuff and potentially kids from past marriages. Schmooze the housing lady, ask about and get on the list to be moved off base, etc., but regardless of your efforts, if you're single and the man wants you on base that's too damn bad unfortunately. Being treated like a bitch again is part of signing up for new flight training regardless of whether you were a combat veteran or a shop chief or a top-rate tech sgt. or have 3 kids who aren't your full-time dependents...comes with the territory and it's part of the sacrifice to hopefully move up the ladder. Good luck moving off base b/c it is nicer for a lot of reasons, but I'd advise to keep expectations down WRT it actually happening.

when my 4 year old daughter comes out to visit

If you have any dependent(s), this issue shouldn't apply to you. (I'm assuming that your daughter is "officially" your dependent as far as the AF is concerned--do you get the "with dependents" rate on BAH, family sep pay, etc.?)

The key to living off base is not really "married/not married"--it's "with/without dependents." At least, that's how it was back in the day, and I doubt it's changed.

If you have any dependent(s), this issue shouldn't apply to you. (I'm assuming that your daughter is "officially" your dependent as far as the AF is concerned--do you get the "with dependents" rate on BAH, family sep pay, etc.?)

The key to living off base is not really "married/not married"--it's "with/without dependents." At least, that's how it was back in the day, and I doubt it's changed.

Negative, the ex old lady is also AD AF and my daughter is listed under her name in DEERS. According to the AF I have no children.

Holy shit, 4 whole years? You don't like the living arrangements, find a different career. Jesus. When you're deployed, you gunna bitch that you don't have your own room?

According to the AF I have no children dependents.

Unfortunately for some situations the difference is important. If you have sole custody or something like that your kids should be your dependents, but if not and your ex is still in the military then you still can't both claim him/her as a dependent.

Holy shit, 4 whole years? You don't like the living arrangements, find a different career. Jesus. When you're deployed, you gunna bitch that you don't have your own room?

Pcola is different than AF training bases. There are no officer dorms other than the BOQ - all the single AF/Navy/MC students that went through strike nav training with the Navy lived off base. My guess is the Navy wanted to increase occupancy of base housing and convinced the AF to make students live on base.

Unfortunately for some situations the difference is important. If you have sole custody or something like that your kids should be your dependents, but if not and your ex is still in the military then you still can't both claim him/her as a dependent.

Children/dependants, semantics in my case really. It's all the same as far as the AF is concerned, unless of course we're talking child support coming out of your check. That's the only instance when the AF takes notice. When it comes down to it, unless you have sole custody The Man doesn't give a flying fvck if you have a kid and actually want to be a part of that child's life. Unless you are in DEERS as the sponsor of that child, they don't really give a shit. It's unfortunate but true.

So to bring this full circle, I'll show up at P-Cola, tell them that my daughter will be coming out for visits a few times over the next year and they will ask for custody paperwork or ask if my daughter is on my orders. Because she's not they will look at me and laugh as they explain that unless she's my dependant and on my orders, I will be considered single and will be forced to either not have my daughter come out while I'm there OR piss off my roommate because I have a 4 year old in the house for a few weeks. Lose lose either way.

I understand what you're saying nsplayer and I appreciate the words, I've just had way too much bad luck in the custody arena in the past few years that I expect the worst. Like the fact that I'll come back to CONUS and the ex will inevitably get orders OCONUS. Stupendous.

Edited by skinny

Guest Dkale

UM..NO! If I'm deployed I do very much understand that in combat environments things will not always be ideal and in fact look forward to deploying. This also isn't bitching about having "my own" room for either way we will. This is about having been required to live off base up to this point which has for better or worse caused most of us to furnish our houses and come accustomed to having both our privacy and independence about decisions made with where we live. If this is indeed the case I will adapt as I have always done, but that doesn't mean I have to sip the AF kool-aid and say that I like it.

Pcola is different than AF training bases. There are no officer dorms other than the BOQ - all the single AF/Navy/MC students that went through strike nav training with the Navy lived off base. My guess is the Navy wanted to increase occupancy of base housing and convinced the AF to make students live on base.

I think the AF built all new dorms... That sucks.