Passports

Skitzo

You might be better off trying to Space A to Richmond in Sydney and then buying commercial tickets to Christchurch from there. Travis would be the best place to catch that hop, although I heard they're running DC8s rather than the C17s on that run, so Space A might not even be an option anymore to Australia.

You might be better off trying to Space A to Richmond in Sydney and then buying commercial tickets to Christchurch from there. Travis would be the best place to catch that hop, although I heard they're running DC8s rather than the C17s on that run, so Space A might not even be an option anymore to Australia.

We still run the channel to Australia here @ Travis. Once a week...via Hawaii. It's usually a B config (16 seats minus additional crew), so your chances of grabbing a seat aren't the best...but still doable.

As a cadet, can I use the MPF to get a passport? If not as a cadet, I commission on in a couple weeks but don't EAD until November, can I use MPF before EAD?

Assuming you're talking about a personal passport, you should be able to, but there's not really a need to. You can get the application online and then take it to the post office to submit it. The only reason you would need to go to MPF would be to get an official passport (which I doubt you need as a cadet).

Assuming you're talking about a personal passport, you should be able to, but there's not really a need to. You can get the application online and then take it to the post office to submit it. The only reason you would need to go to MPF would be to get an official passport (which I doubt you need as a cadet).

Toro,

I guess I was thinking by using the MPF I could save some dough, but re-reading it doesn't seem like that matters. I'm aware of the regular post office process. Thanks for the links though. And yeah, I just need a civvie one for a job in Guam I trying to pull with UCAR before my EAD. Might get to see Andersen early!

We still run the channel to Australia here @ Travis. Once a week...via Hawaii. It's usually a B config (16 seats minus additional crew), so your chances of grabbing a seat aren't the best...but still doable.

WRI has recently picked up a few of these channels as well.

"2" on the chances-of-a-seat issue...

WRI has recently picked up a few of these channels as well.

"2" on the chances-of-a-seat issue...

I hate you s.

I just got some new passports for myself and my family, so I will try and answer this. I have 2 Official Passports (brown covers). Some "countries" don't want to see an exit or entry stamp from certain "other" countries. Check the FCG to see the countries. I do alot of traveling, so I make sure I am showing the right passport when entering or exiting certain countries. It was no big deal to justify two. It is not a status thing. It is to avoid problems at your sometimes less than friendly border control station. These passports are only to be used on offical travel so says the stamp in the back of the passport.

I also have a blue "personal" passport that I use when on vacation. It is not as overstamped as my official, but other than showing that I am an American citizen, it does not ID me as connected to the Gov't (haircut?). Depending on where you are in the world, be ready to show an ID card though when outside the US and using the personal passport. The ID card shows you are are a SOFA person and not some dude just trying to coming into their country and get on their welfare rolls.

The personal tourist passport comes out of your pocket. The tourist passport also helps with OPSEC. I do know guys that have traveled for 3 years on only a tourist passport both on official and personal travels. I personally would not want to chance that. A border agent with an attitude is the worst. I was a crew member when a pax wanted to go to the bathroom on a stopover. Instead of going to the bathroom we always used, he went into the terminal. When he tried coming out through customs, he was stopped for over an hour, while we cajoled the agents to release the pax and promised to never let it happen again.

DeHavilland

Thanks for your reply. What did you do about your spouse/kids (if you have either!).

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting the topic.

A friend planned a short notice (relative to the State Department's timeline) side trip to Canadiastan. There's no way I'll get a passport in time. Can I still travel on Leave Orders with an ID?

The U.S. State Department calls out "Official Orders" (http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html). The Canadian side says "If you are a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada" (http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-securite/admiss-eng.html).

BL: Anybody had experience with traveling on leave orders to Canada since 1 Jun 09?

You don't need orders or a passport. I've got family up there, they just stop you at the border and ask you your buisiness. No biggie.

But you will most likley need them to get back into the US.

Per DHS:

All U.S. citizens including children must present a passport or other approved travel document when entering the United States by air. U.S. citizens can present a passport, NEXUS card at airports with NEXUS kiosks, U.S. military ID with travel orders, or a U.S. Merchant Mariner Document when on official business.

• 3 years later...

I'm deployed to Afghanistan. I decided halfway through my deployment to extend my stay here. The extension made me eligible for R&R. I'm planning to take trip to New Zealand/Australia. Before I left the states, I did not plan to take R&R so I did not bring my personal passport with me and I don't have anyway of getting it here.

However, I do have an Official Passport that was issued to me from my squadron. Does anyone know if I'm allowed to use my Official Passport for R&R. I've been in Afghanistan for more than 300 days and I'll be returning here for a few months after R&R I think I could justify the trip to be "official travel" since I'm being "ordered" to "rest and relax". What do you think?

I'm deployed to Afghanistan. I decided halfway through my deployment to extend my stay here. The extension made me eligible for R&R. I'm planning to take trip to New Zealand/Australia. Before I left the states, I did not plan to take R&R so I did not bring my personal passport with me and I don't have anyway of getting it here.

However, I do have an Official Passport that was issued to me from my squadron. Does anyone know if I'm allowed to use my Official Passport for R&R. I've been in Afghanistan for more than 300 days and I'll be returning here for a few months after R&R I think I could justify the trip to be "official travel" since I'm being "ordered" to "rest and relax". What do you think?

Short answer: No

Official passport use must coincide with official travel orders. Either you must be stationed in Australia or you must be traveling to Australia on orders for your official passport to be valid for travel.

Short answer: No

Official passport use must coincide with official travel orders. Either you must be stationed in Australia or you must be traveling to Australia on orders for your official passport to be valid for travel.

Best thing to do if you want to do this on the up and up is check with the USDAO in Australia. Contact info should be in the FCG. Chances are they'll be ok with it. Or you could just do it without asking and ask for forgiveness later in the very remote chance that someone notices and cares. Before you go this route, I'd recommend checking Australia's visa rules. Many countries that do not require an advance visa in a tourist passport DO require it for entry with an official or dip passport. Good luck!

Best thing to do if you want to do this on the up and up is check with the USDAO in Australia. Contact info should be in the FCG. Chances are they'll be ok with it. Or you could just do it without asking and ask for forgiveness later in the very remote chance that someone notices and cares. Before you go this route, I'd recommend checking Australia's visa rules. Many countries that do not require an advance visa in a tourist passport DO require it for entry with an official or dip passport. Good luck!

Having lived in Australia for 4 years I can tell you they will notice, they do care, and they will immediately send you back on the next jet home.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_836.html

• You may use your no-fee passport book only when traveling overseas in discharge of your official duties.
  • For personal travel, you must to use a regular fee passport book or card.

You will also need to pre-purchase an ETA (Electronic Travel Authority) prior to your arrival.

https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETA/etas.jsp

$20 AUD

Having lived in Australia for 4 years I can tell you they will notice, they do care, and they will immediately send you back on the next jet home.

http://travel.state..../first_836.html

Seems unlikely. This trip is quasi official and I would think that the Aussies would be understanding that this is the passport that he deployed with. Again, USDAO could give the straight scoop and might even grease the skids in advance--especially given the nature of the trip.

Seems unlikely. This trip is quasi official and I would think that the Aussies would be understanding that this is the passport that he deployed with. Again, USDAO could give the straight scoop and might even grease the skids in advance--especially given the nature of the trip.

Leave is not even remotely quasi official. fcg.pentagon.mil Read it. Use it. Don't get fucked in the ass because you're in a country with the wrong passport.

A review of the Australia chapter in the FCG does indicate that they are strict WRT color of passort. Sorry on the bad advice. Good on Vertigo and ThreeHoler for keeping him straight. I would still reach out to the DAO to see if there's anything that can be done. The US and Australian embassies in Kabul also might be helpful.

DO NOT! Fuck with customs in Australia. They take there job very seriously and have no sense of humor. The DAO will tell you the same thing.

I would think that the Aussies would be understanding

Well, they are, they understand "get the fuck out of our country on the next flight available" When they say that they mean now and you are not leaving the customs area until you do.

As for New Zealand... see what I wrote about Australia. Cool thing about NZ is the customs agents walk around with a credit card reader and fine people on the spot!

Vertigo et al...Speaking of Australia, any gouge on whether or not the AUS military will allow mil. dependents access to base commissaries or, more importantly, Class 6 stores? My daughter is attending a college semester in Queensland and just asking......thanks!

Vertigo et al...Speaking of Australia, any gouge on whether or not the AUS military will allow mil. dependents access to base commissaries or, more importantly, Class 6 stores? My daughter is attending a college semester in Queensland and just asking......thanks!

The base I was at didn't have a commissary and no real Class 6 equivalent. They had a canteen, which did sell some liquor (don't recall it being any cheaper than off base) and if I remember correctly it was open to anyone that had access to the base... even civilians not associated with the military (i.e. delivery folks, etc).

Edited by Vertigo

• 1 year later...