Laughlin AFB info

Guest Tokyo

Doesn't seem like you're that confused. It all goes away. My current base has a stipulation about if you're in the top 10% or something of power users, then you get charged extra.

Base housing is probably a pretty decent deal if you're a 2Lt. Probably not so good of a deal if you're a Capt and you get the same "CGO" house. Call the housing office and get on their list. They'll probably want a copy of your orders emailed to them. Usually once you leave your previous base, you're put on the list and they're assigned in that order. Don't know Laughlin housing office specifics, but I bet Hunt does.

Thanks for the clarification. It's only 13 months, but it's going to be a huge adjustment from Charleston that's for sure.

So I am a little confused on how on base housing is going to work with a dependant. No matter what your BAH pays out, the entirety of it goes towards Hunt?

Doesn't seem like you're that confused. It all goes away. My current base has a stipulation about if you're in the top 10% or something of power users, then you get charged extra.

The way it works at Vance (which is also ran by Hunt) is your whole BAH goes to Hunt, and that also covers your electricity, gas, and water. Then every month you get a statement from the utilities company showing what you used compared to the average for that month or whatever. You get +/- credit for however much you're under/over the average, and then whenever your balance gets to +/-$50 they send you a check or I guess charge you your overage. I don't really do anything to try to conserve energy and we still get like $60 back most months, if that's any consolation.

• 11 months later...

Thread bump. Not necessarily just a Laughlin question, but I didn't want to start a new thread.

Laughlin doesn't look like the houses have garages, but Sheppard does. Not sure about Columbus or Vance... is this currently the case? Can anyone fill me in on any of these locations? This is the single biggest issue for us in deciding whether or not to find a place off-base.

Bonus question: recommendations for recreational weekend flying near these bases?

Thanks!

EDIT: Clarification: husband is waiting on orders still, might not actually get them until rather last minute, so I am trying to plan a few contingencies.

Edited by PinkFive

Thanks. Like I said, I was aware Laughlin has carports and it doesn't appear they have received any updated housing like Sheppard did. I've seen conflicting reports on Vance and Columbus, which is really what I need the information for.

Almost every house has a garage at Columbus. Only ones that don't are the temporary houses. Capitol has 1 stall garage on almost every house. The other 2 villages I think have a combo of 1 and 2 stall garages. Married students are mixed in all 3. Depends on your luck.

Currently posting from my house on Columbus and my wife's car is currently in our garage.

• 2 years later...

Wondering if anybody is able to give any recent up-to-date details on this place.  Might be heading here in June-July timeframe.  A few questions:

1. Base housing? ill have the wife and 4 yr old.  

2. Schools? daughter will be going to kindergarten.

3. Things to do...

Any advice/information will be greatly appreciated!  

On 2/22/2018 at 7:45 PM, AH18 said:

Wondering if anybody is able to give any recent up-to-date details on this place.  Might be heading here in June-July timeframe.  A few questions:

1. Base housing? ill have the wife and 4 yr old.  

2. Schools? daughter will be going to kindergarten.

3. Things to do...

Any advice/information will be greatly appreciated!  

My wife and I are currently at Laughlin for UPT. We live in a duplex with our 3 year old little boy, and we have a reasonable 3 bedroom one and a half bath.  You can get more for your money off base, but living on base is worth the extra dough for the convenience being in UPT.  Buzz me a message for pictures/details.

My son isnt old enough for school yet, so he just attends the CDC.  They are building a magnet school on base, but I do not know much about it.

As far as things to do, the town doesng offer much, but there is great fishing at the Lake and lots of outdoor opportunities.  San Antonio is 2.5 hours, Austin isnt much further, Corpus is maybe 4 or 5, and Dallas and Houston are each about 7.

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Heading to XL in June, married but SO won't be accompanying me. What is the best way to live on base and collect some BAH that is legal? I've heard you could get a few roommates and get a place on base housing splitting the costs. Thanks in advance. 

31 minutes ago, Smaggy said:

Heading to XL in June, married but SO won't be accompanying me. What is the best way to live on base and collect some BAH that is legal? I've heard you could get a few roommates and get a place on base housing splitting the costs. Thanks in advance. 

You’ll get your BAH only, live off base if allowed, there’s some doublewides if you’re cheap. 

Edited by matmacwc

• 10 months later...

Heading to Laughlin in June for UPT, looking to see how base housing is like. Are there typically vacancies or is there a long wait for housing? How is home internet when living on base, thats the only thing I can’t get a solid answer on.

Going to be there with my wife, shes a high school teacher, I appreciate any info on the local school system.

Also if anyone is selling a washing machine and dryer at that time, I am in the market for one when I get there.

Thanks!

13 hours ago, Bob Uecker said:

Heading to Laughlin in June for UPT, looking to see how base housing is like. Are there typically vacancies or is there a long wait for housing? How is home internet when living on base, thats the only thing I can’t get a solid answer on.

Going to be there with my wife, shes a high school teacher, I appreciate any info on the local school system.

Also if anyone is selling a washing machine and dryer at that time, I am in the market for one when I get there.

Thanks!

My wife was a stud there about a year ago. Hunt housing is the cancer center of the whole on base housing mold and failure to comply issues. The issue is, living in Del Rio is easily 20 minutes to the gate.  Take that as you will.  Plenty of people do live in town, but it can be a drive for some folks.

Internet is fine, it is what it is. It's spectrum AFAIK and they just try and nickel and dime you for everything after awhile.  

So I worked in Del Rio and Uvalde before I went AD and lived there with my wife. Their HS is okay, a lot of my coworkers went there. It's not the best school system, but it's okay. The Bracketville ISD is where a lot of people apparently try to send their kids, but I don't know if they have a HS or not as they're a super small town.

Feel free to shoot me anything else. I was there for ~6 months when I lived there.

• Upvote 1