Laughlin AFB info

Guest Tokyo

I'm a cyclist too, but I haven't ridden my bike here since I don't have a death wish. There are too many crazy Mexicans driving around. Here in Del Rio they do this thing where they drive on the shoulder for a mile or so before they merge into traffic. Nevertheless, I have seen a few people around here ride road bikes, but not very much. I guess the only decent road is 277.

Happily it's been a long time since I was there so I'll admit my info is old. I rode quite a bit there. Never had a problem with vehicles. Mostly I stayed off the busy roads and hit ones where I'd see maybe a car or two an hour. I didn't much care for 90 doing towards the base or San Antonio, but going North out of town was no big deal. Big shoulders and not a lot of cars, turned off on some side road before the bridge but I seem to recall riding it a time or two.

Biggest problem I had were the thorns, invest in kevlar tires or get real good at fixing flats on the road.

There was a group in town that did regular rides. On weekends they'd actually ride into Mexico. Take the bridge early in the morning, go on a big loop, and come back over the dam. I never did it, couldn't tell you why.

Actually used to run into a lot of Europeans (by a lot I mean more than one a year) on extended bike tours. There was some company that would plan the trip, maps, hotels, etc, then send them loose. For some reason they liked riding through southern Texas, not sure if that still happens.

It's a horribly ugly place, and doesn't look much better on a bike. I knew there were a lot of deer strikes there but had no idea how many until I started riding along the highway. On a couple hour ride it wasn't unusual to ride past 4-5 rotting carcasses in the weeds.

In Texas terms Wichita Falls is right up the road, you have to do the Hotter than Hell 100. Absolutely the single best organized athletic event I've ever seen. It really is hotter than hell, but man is it fun.

My wife and I are scheduled for Laughlin with a RNLTD of 26FEB09. All of this information has been wonderful, but I am an avid cyclist and I am hoping that there are plenty of road with little/no traffic so I can ride after class on most days of the week. Is this going to be possible?

Thanks in advance!

Your best bet would probably be to get a mountain bike and ride the perimeter road on base and the other assorted trails behind the golf course. Good luck riding everyday while you're in UPT. UPT will take more time of your time than you can even imagine, especially during the week.

• 4 months later...
Guest platow

you can look on the laughlin services website... don't know if it's there or not but it's an option. if you are on base you can get one from any of the FSS buildings. the website is www.laughlinservices.com

Does anyone have a map of Laughlin that lists all the buildings and different parts of the AFB?

• 2 months later...
Guest cmplatow

Anyone know where the caves are that have the hieroglyphics? What about some ideas of things to do around here, besides, go to Wal-Mart, and the lake..lol I have a daughter, so any hiking trails would be great, especially ones with caves and hieroglyphics.

Anyone know where the caves are that have the hieroglyphics? What about some ideas of things to do around here, besides, go to Wal-Mart, and the lake..lol I have a daughter, so any hiking trails would be great, especially ones with caves and hieroglyphics.

The caves are along the river north of Del Rio. Not sure where but the park service website should have some info. A good place to hike is Big Bend National Park and the nearby town of Alpine. Google it...there is tons to do there. More of a weekend trip though...about 6 hours or so. There are also some trails up north along the devils river. Other than that...you said everything else to do. It's Del Rio.

• 2 weeks later...

The park is Seminole Canyon. Its out on 90 west. About a 50 mile dive each way. The tour is roughly 2hrs so it makes for a good saturday day trip. While your out that way drive about another 15 miles and go see Langtry where Judge Roy Bean had his courthouse and bar all in the same building plus youll pass over the high bridge on the Pecos which is kinda cool. All of this you could easily do on a saturday day trip. If youve got another other questions let me know.

• 2 years later...

Does anyone have up to date info on what on-base housing is like at Laughlin? The www.laughlinfamilyhousing.com website has left a lot to be desired. For anyone that has stayed there recently; would you recommend staying on base?

For any of those that are living off base, how is the commute, etc?

thanks!

If you don't mind the 20 minute commute from the town to the base, I'd live off-base. It's just too much of a headache living on-base. Think of it as a HOA on crack. Plus, they take all of your BAH. If you're an officer, you find a much better house off-base for the money.

If you decide to live on base, make sure your lawn is watered constantly and you don't forget to mow everyweek. Otherwise, you may find yourself with an LOC in the morning.

Does anyone have up to date info on what on-base housing is like at Laughlin? The www.laughlinfamilyhousing.com website has left a lot to be desired. For anyone that has stayed there recently; would you recommend staying on base?

For any of those that are living off base, how is the commute, etc?

thanks!

Student or not? Makes a bit of a difference.

yep, def should have mentioned that...I will be a student, with wife.

appreciate the input.

My son just graduated from Laughlin in April. He lived on base and preferred that option. They gave him what they called a "two-bedroom" house (which was really three, but one bedroom was called an office). He could sleep at least an hour longer each day compared to living downtown (which was very much needed in some cases!) and later in the program when he had a little more freedom it allowed him to come home when he had a break. If he forgot something, he was only five minutes from the flight room or the house (depending on which direction he had to go). Less travel time meant more time available to study/sleep. The downside was the 25 minute drive to Walmart on the far side of Del Rio, but that was easy to deal with. It is true that they take all your housing allowance, but he didn't consider that a huge factor (saved a lot of gas money!). Eating on-base is a real challenge...not many places open outside weekday working hours, so be prepared to cook at home or drive into town (mostly on the middle to far side of town).

As for the lawn issue, the contractor takes care (mowing) of all "non-fenced" yard areas, but if your unit has a fenced yard (some do, some don't), inside the fence is yours. You still have to water, fertilize, seed (if required) but the contractor will provide the materials. He didn't consider it much of an issue...they aren't looking for a lush lawn, just a tidy one.

My wife and I visited several times and (considering the location) thought it wasn't a bad setup. The houses have been refurbished in the last few years and are in moderately good shape.

Edited by HiFlyer

yep, def should have mentioned that...I will be a student, with wife.

appreciate the input.

As a student you won't have a choice, you'll be on base. If for some reason they don't have housing (they had plenty as of several months ago), move on as soon as possible. You want to be close to your class for studying/partying, and being 1/4 of a mile from the flight line makes life easy. The only folks I knew who lived off base either moved on as soon as they could, or washed out.

As a student you won't have a choice, you'll be on base. If for some reason they don't have housing (they had plenty as of several months ago), move on as soon as possible. You want to be close to your class for studying/partying, and being 1/4 of a mile from the flight line makes life easy. The only folks I knew who lived off base either moved on as soon as they could, or washed out.

As a point for living off base: I went to Laughlin a lifetime ago, when housing was being renovated, and as a married Captain w/kids, I was the only stud in my class who rented a house off base. The 25 minute commute was a bit of a pain, and i did miss out on some of the study sessions and partying...but the class did reap some benefits: having a place off base to congregate on weekends, or to crash after coming back from Acuna (and not having to face the main gate gauntlet of skycops), or just to gather round the TV to watch the Masters or Superbowl was nice.

No matter where you live, learn to prioritize and compartmentalize early.

As a point for living off base: I went to Laughlin a lifetime ago, when housing was being renovated, and as a married Captain w/kids, I was the only stud in my class who rented a house off base. The 25 minute commute was a bit of a pain, and i did miss out on some of the study sessions and partying...but the class did reap some benefits: having a place off base to congregate on weekends, or to crash after coming back from Acuna (and not having to face the main gate gauntlet of skycops), or just to gather round the TV to watch the Masters or Superbowl was nice.

No matter where you live, learn to prioritize and compartmentalize early.

FYI, because of all the gang wars, Mexico is now completely off limits to all DoD personnel. No more partying in Acuna, no more margaritas at Crosby's.

We have a dude in our class who lives off base as a married student. I don't know if he's the exception or what his circumstances are, but it shows that it's possible and at least one stud lives off base.

Don't do it. It's a 15 or so minute drive, plus traffic and depending on when you have to be in the line at the gate could be ridiculous. That commuter time is time you can spend sleeping, studying, or with your family if you are in base housing. Our guy didn't do the best traffic calculations one day, got in 30 seconds late and got some one-on-one time with our instructor that day. Not something I'd want to gamble on for 50 weeks.

Plus, living on base makes it easier to study / socialize with the rest of your class, since most folks live in the dorms or base housing as well.

• 3 months later...

I'll be bringing my wife with me to UPT and am expecting to live on base. I have a lot of furniture/stuff to move so I was hoping to move in at least a week or so before UPT starts (24 April 2012). Does anyone know if that is possible? What is the earliest we can move in to base housing before my class date? I'm a guard guy if that makes any difference.

Edited by H-10btr

If you also talk to the billeting office (the Laughlin Manor), you may be able to reserve a furnished TLF or other temporary quarters for you when you arrive (depends on if there are any available) and are waiting for a base house. If there's one available, I think you can stay for 30 days. After that, there may be other options or you may have to find a hotel until a house is available. If your furniture arrives first, they'll store it until a house is available.

Some numbers that might help: Housing (830) 298-5732/3, Laughlin Manor (830) 298-5731, TMO (830) 298-5189/5178. DSN prefix is 732-xxxx

• 1 month later...
HI, we are pcsing to Laughlin in August and were wondering if most people are living on or off base at the moment. We have one baby, and my husband will be an IP. Any input would be appreciated.

It's all about personal preference as an IP. Lots of IPs live on base and quite a few live off base. Depends what you are looking as far as housing size, yard, etc.