Laughlin AFB info

Guest Tokyo

Don't take it. You want to be special? Have to go to riding class with the commanders? Be one of the few that have to fill out special paperwork because you brought your 5 year old bike to a course that could determine your life? These are the things that will happen to you.

Not looking to be special so if that's how it will be viewed by leadership I'll leave it at home......

Does AETC have you do their own special riding course, etc above and beyond what the AF requires? Damn, been in for a while now so I know the ridiculousness the "normal AF" motorcycle safety program is but I can't think of MORE crap they could throw at riders without pretty much saying, "Don't ride a motorcycle"......

Del Rio drivers suck, the roads suck, you are asking for it.

Copy

Not looking to be special so if that's how it will be viewed by leadership I'll leave it at home......

I would say don't sweat the leadership too much. It's not like anyone will wash you out because of a motorcycle. I had mine at Rucker and Vance. I got a couple comments but I knew they probably wished their wives would let them ride. I just kept my mouth shut and avoided tickets...for the most part.

Follow the USAF motorcycle rules and do a good job in the classroom and the jet and you will be absolutely fine.

Take your bike if you want to have it with you and don't use concerns about standing out to leadership as a reason to leave it home.

Technique only.

I would say don't sweat the leadership too much. It's not like anyone will wash you out because of a motorcycle. I had mine at Rucker and Vance. I got a couple comments but I knew they probably wished their wives would let them ride. I just kept my mouth shut and avoided tickets...for the most part.

Follow the USAF motorcycle rules and do a good job in the classroom and the jet and you will be absolutely fine.

Take your bike if you want to have it with you and don't use concerns about standing out to leadership as a reason to leave it home.

Technique only.

Make sure you take the MSF course and bring the graduation certificate with you. Take the advanced course, too, if possible. That will avoid many hurdles when you get to the AF and need to register the bike.

Make sure you take the MSF course and bring the graduation certificate with you. Take the advanced course, too, if possible. That will avoid many hurdles when you get to the AF and need to register the bike.

I've already taken the courses...I've been in the AF (reserve to AD back to reserve again) since 2003 so I've had the "pleasure" of dealing with the AF's view on riders for a while now.......I was just curious how AETC, and more specifically, how the current crop of leadership at Laughlin viewed studs bringing/having motorcycles......

I just didn't want to be viewed as "that guy" who has prior experience and arrives thinking he can skirt the AETC/local rules because he has already been in for a while.....

I've already taken the courses...I've been in the AF (reserve to AD back to reserve again) since 2003 so I've had the "pleasure" of dealing with the AF's view on riders for a while now.......I was just curious how AETC, and more specifically, how the current crop of leadership at Laughlin viewed studs bringing/having motorcycles......

I just didn't want to be viewed as "that guy" who has prior experience and arrives thinking he can skirt the AETC/local rules because he has already been in for a while.....

Last time I was there (18 months ago) the dorm lots were filled with bikes...dozens of them) If you have the required gear and rider course docs I don't think you'll have a problem (or more than the usual problems).

Then don't be. Nuff said.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Question about living situation at Laughlin. I start UPT in July, unaccompanied, whats the better option, a duplex or the dorms? Any opinion is appreciated!

It depends. Duplex is awesome if you already know somebody you are comfortable having as a roommate. Dorms are nice because you don't have to buy any furniture. I lived in the dorms, but if I could do it all over again, I'd live in a duplex.

Question about living situation at Laughlin. I start UPT in July, unaccompanied, whats the better option, a duplex or the dorms? Any opinion is appreciated!

Duplexes don't have a washer or dryer, you supply em, and you'll need furniture,so it can get costly; the dorms are easier but I lived in a duplex and the money spent on appliances and furniture was worth it. You'll also need to find a roommate within one class of yours, if you dont show up at housing with a roommate, you'll be put in a dorm, they won't spend their time finding you a roommate.

Edited by yzl337

• 2 months later...

I did the dorms for the first half of my time here then moved in with a buddy from the Zoo (that's pretty rare though, there were extenuating circumstances. Mostly it just depends on what you prefer. Obviously in a dorm, everything is yours, you don't worry about splitting the cable bill, etc. but having a roommate (and house for that matter) is nice. I much prefer the duplex. Either way I would definitely recommend on base. The few guys in my class who live off base love it, but they don't love the extra 40 min of driving they do every day. And you can walk almost anywhere on base, makes it nice for drop nights and class parties. If you can find a guy you would want to live with for the next year and change, duplex is the way to go.

• 6 months later...

Looks like I'm headed to Laughlin in October... Is base family housing really that bad? I'm going to be a stud but all this talk about mold and kids getting sick doesn't make me feel comfortable bringing my wife & kid.

My wife and I no major issues with our house. It was no palace, but we were fine for 15 months. I don't remember having any big issues with mold. Worst problem we had was ants, but a couple visits from the exterminator took care of that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

So I am a little confused on how on base housing is going to work with a dependant. No matter what your BAH pays out, the entirety of it goes towards Hunt? I'm heading that way January of 2015 and trying to get a head start on what to do about housing. Thanks in advanced!

Doesn't seem like you're that confused. It all goes away. My current base has a stipulation about if you're in the top 10% or something of power users, then you get charged extra.

Base housing is probably a pretty decent deal if you're a 2Lt. Probably not so good of a deal if you're a Capt and you get the same "CGO" house. Call the housing office and get on their list. They'll probably want a copy of your orders emailed to them. Usually once you leave your previous base, you're put on the list and they're assigned in that order. Don't know Laughlin housing office specifics, but I bet Hunt does.

Edited by nunya