Don't self-eliminate

otsap

Hey everyone. I just recieved a pilot slot on the 0504 board with a GPA of 2.61 and ZERO flight hours. People can give you their best guess at your odds/chances of getting picked, and many people here are really accurate. But, if you don't apply, you don't need a best guess to tell you your chances.

My point here is just to say study for the AFOQT, read the directions on the BAT, do your best in everything, your chances only get better. Your dream isn't something you give up on, or it never was one.

[ 20. April 2005, 14:18: Message edited by: otsap ]

DaveB;

I studied for the AFOQT and did well 99,99,90,77,94. Probably helped the board to overlook the GPA.

GooneyBird;

Other than AFOQT, not much. Only one LOR from a military member, a pilot. Interview I thought went well, but not spectacular. I was told I had a great applicant statement, for whatever that's worth.

Here's what's a bit confusing. My PCSM with 0 hours was a 60 (not good), which is what I had. But apparently, the board considered my PCSM to be 89 since that's what it would be once I completed IFT and had 41-60 hours. In fact, my recruiter specifically told me NOT to get hours unless I could get more than 60 cause it wouldn't help! I wouldn't recommend this however, I would say get hours cause it can only help. Just food for thought.

One, two, or three red marks on your application? Apply....who knows.

perhaps,

I had 2, maybe 3, items listed that could be considered "community involvement". The majority of things I listed were personal achievements. And by personal I mean things that meant a lot to me and I didn't recieve a plaque/certificate/medal or anything else for them. (e.g. was in Skiing magazine, summitted a couple not too noteworthy mountains, finished a bike race in top 10%) Write a long list, there's NO limit on length, that I'm aware of. Of course don't stretch it too much by saying things like; got along with my sister, got my drivers license the first time I tried, or didn't puke on my 21st.

Guest Jollygreen
Originally posted by otsap:

I studied for the AFOQT and did well 99,99,90,77,94. Probably helped the board to overlook the GPA.

Those scores are unique. They probably were the difference in your case.

Guest CoupPawn

Also, it depends on what your commander's ranking is (50%), PFT scores (~10%), and your BAT/AFOQT=PCSM scores, since they all contribute to your Order of Merit (OM) score. That, and yes, your AMAZING test scores were probably what helped you. GPA only constitutes 10-15% (can't remember) of what dictates whether or not you get rated, so do well on everything else, and you future pilot wannabes will be set!

commander's rating and PFT scores aren't part of the OTS package ~ they don't use an OM either. GPA and AFOQT are probably larger parts of what they look at because they have less of you to look at. basically all they have is AFOQT, GPA, LoRs, a "resume" including extra-cirriculars, and the officer interview

I was in the same type of situation. HORRIBLE AFOQT scores, but good GPA and PFT. My CC rating was also what really help me as well, CC rating is HUGE!!!! Make sure that commander knows who you are and what you have accomplished

For those reading this who still need to apply for the board...know your weaknesses and strengths and do you best on both, but if you know one is a lost cause, aim to do better on your strengths.

I don't think you can really study for the AFOQT that much...some of the sections are like the SAT, but some are just out there. The AFOQT doesn't really even weigh that heaviliy for pilot selection.

Guest WILLIO

Guys... we arent talking about ROTC here... Read the POST before you write (respectfully). Cheers

[ 07. May 2005, 20:09: Message edited by: WILLIO ]

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 2kbluer6

Count me in with the "doesn't have a PPL but got selected" crowd. I just found out that I am an 0505 pilot select. PCSM 67 (+ IFT = 92). I have since started pilot lessons, compiling about 15 hours, but those hours were not in the "winning" package.

Guest rangerbob5

2kbluer6....putting your AFOQT scores in your sig block shows a distinct lack of tact. Arrogance will wash you out of UPT faster than low AFOQT scores. Careful.

Guest KoolKat

Hey rangerbob5? Are you any relation to the original "RangerBob" screen name? :D

Just wunderin my chances...I receeved a 2 merit badges in cubscouts at age 12, I have a 2.1 GPA, I have AFOQT scores of 34/30/15/19/23. My dad says I have a good shot and that he is really prowd of me. Can sumbody give me thare honest oppinyun? Thanks

Guest KoolKat

PP....hehe.

I am also very prowd (edit: uv yu.) :D :D

[ 06. June 2005, 23:28: Message edited by: KoolKat ]