Five Minutes with the CSAF, Informal Survey

ClearedHot

Guest pilotwannab

1) Enough with the new uniforms, however pretty they may be, they are unnecessary.

2) Does anyone use DMS? Really?

3) Put the money you saved from both of those into:

a) taxpayers wallets

B) Other needy AF programs

4) We need more air power. Give me a pilot slot. :D

The questions I'd ask:

1) What the F-CK were you thinking with those blueberry suits! Why can't you just use normal woodland camo with better material.

2) Why do the majority of active duty Herk squadrons fly 68 E-models with cracked wing boxes into combat daily while the reserves sit at home next to their H3s?

HD

[ 22. November 2004, 17:35: Message edited by: HercDriver24 ]

Originally posted by HercDriver24:

The questions I'd ask:

1) What the F-CK were you thinking with those blueberry suits! Why can't you just use normal woodland camo with better material.

2) Why do the majority of active duty Herk squadrons fly 68 E-models with cracked wing boxes into combat daily while the reserves sit at home next to their H3s?

HD

Sure...you'd be in there with big shiny eyes asking what it's like to fly F-15s and telling him about how you hope to make it to General one day...

I kid.

Originally posted by Rocker:

Sure...you'd be in there with big shiny eyes asking what it's like to fly F-15s and telling him about how you hope to make it to General one day

Actually, he'd be asking about F-16s.....isn't that right, Viperpilot670??

You know I'm just jealous that you're out in the "real" AF now!

First, fix the new PT program (32" waistlines are a thing of the past once you past 30...hell, you don't even have one). Two, can the new uniform and just go with the Army's ACUs (they were designed by people who actually will wear them, not some Gos at the Pentagon). Three, cut the BS, we can't keep up this opstempo and sustain cuts in manning. Four, have that guy in Europe quit wasting everyone's time with "Combat (Whatever)" and "Wingman Consideration" programs, they are downright silly and make that command look like EuroDisney.

Lastly, can we talk about my next assignment???

Cheers! M2

[ 22. November 2004, 23:16: Message edited by: MajorMadMax ]

Originally posted by MajorMadMax:

Four, have that guy in Europe quit wasting everyone's time with ...Wingman Consideration" programs...

M2,

Did you guys also have wingman day recently? It was like a day off.....only without the day off. Oh well we had fun bowling at least.....

No, as we fall under EUCOM and not USAFE, we don't get half the days off we should. Actually, we don't even get the EUCOM holidays, as they are infamous for turning a one-day holiday into a four-day weekend. We get NATO holidays, but not the strictly American ones and not even all the rest. Why, you may ask? Because I work for the Army!

Am I pissed? You bet!

Cheers! M2

p.s. Why can't we be treated like adults here and not have words ****'d out? ****ing hell, if you can take a few swear words then you shouldn't be in the military!

Guest C-21 Pilot

M2, I fell your pain...and probably a bit more since I live here (ETAR).

Those headed to USAFE beware...until next summer.

For all of the Combat Programs...

So in the Air Force's opinion... a day of bowling and picnics will prevent suicides? What a joke, bring back the good ol' days where flying and fixing airplanes was the priority! If I have to sit through anymore of these stupid briefs, I may off myself...maybe someone can take me bowling so I won't really do it!

Down days have been used for years, we used to get one when I was in the UK in the early 80's for making our sortie goals every month. They are also used for special needs, such as training and stuff like that. The only thing about mandatory fun is that if you don't want to be there in the first place, most likely it won't be much fun. However, I worked at the IW Battlelab in San Antonio and worked for a F-111 driver who used to "force" us all to go golfing every once and a while. It was fun, although he didn't like my golf "rules"...

I am so ****ing glad I am 3 1/2 hours away from Doc's lair, but some days I wonder if that still isn't enough! Luckily, he doesn't come anywhere near my USMC four-star!

Cheers! M2

Guest skipplet
Originally posted by HercDriver24:

The questions I'd ask:

That was Dr. Roche's idea, or so said General Ard.

May God help all of us if that clown "Doc" is the next CSAF!!!

Currently at BIKF shaking my head at all the "Combat" programs he has started, none of which has anything to do with actual combat. Perhaps he should start worrying about the morale and welfare of his troops (instead of his own) for once and the rest of the queepy shit would take care of itself. "Take care of your people and they will take care of you".

[ 29. November 2004, 10:33: Message edited by: Bergman ]

My OTS officer interview was with said "Doc" while he was the vice chief of staff. Sorry for sounding like the square in the group but I had a blast talking to him. Instead of the typical "why the air force?" questions, we talked about CAS, BAI, et al for an hour.

Berg

From what I understand, that ain't gonna happen. Can't go into details, and it is all rumor anyhow, but let's just say those Combat programs may have cost Doc in more ways than one!

As much as I still love going to Ramstein (spent four years there, consider it "home"), the "queepy shit" does distract from my fond memories of the place.

Chuck, that has to be the funniest quote I've heard in a long time!

Cheers! M2

Originally posted by Mike Murph:

My OTS officer interview was with said "Doc" while he was the vice chief of staff. Sorry for sounding like the square in the group but I had a blast talking to him. Instead of the typical "why the air force?" questions, we talked about CAS, BAI, et al for an hour.

I've met him a couple of times over the years..once while at Offutt (he was getting a tour of our squadron when he was 12AF/CC) and then a few times when I was out at AF/OG. He is a relatively likeable guy and pretty low-key in person, at least when I talked with him.

HOWEVER, I can't get past all of the BS programs he has started, nor the stories I've heard from the C-21 folks that cart him around ("We actually schedule physically bigger people to fly with him...because he won't listen to IPs and they have to overpower him on the controls") Then you hear other stories about him having, basically, his own private F-16 (Tail #777) at his disposal. (I know most WG/CC and up types have jets at their disposal, but IIRC Doc's F-16 is kept at Ramstein by itself for his sole use. Can anyone back that up?)

Yep, it is a 555th bird from Aviano, but not sure if it is kept at Ramstein all the time. Why he can't fly a jet from one of the two Viper squadrons up at Spangdahlem I don't know...

Honestly, most of you guys don't have to put up with all his commercials on AFN Europe. I have even had buds in Qatar give me shit because they see him there too. These "forced morale" programs rarely work, they may make Doc feel good about himself, but I have yet to hear anyone else in USAFE that likes them.

By the way, in case some of you don't know who Doc is, here's a pic...

srburns.jpg

Cheers! M2

Guest tentoad

Wow, The CSAF...

The new/old flightsuits are fine.

Don't make them blue or have funny trimmings.

Replace Dupont as the fabric manufacturer, or compel them to begin quality control.

Flightsuits should last ten years, not ten washings.

Fuzz sucks!!!

Tentoad

DOC =

Reminds me of the Deid. If I had to see one more of his "Thanks for all you do! By the way, did I mention I'm a fighter pilot?" commercials, I was gonna off myself.

HD

[ 01. December 2004, 20:41: Message edited by: HercDriver24 ]

Originally posted by Bergman:

May God help all of us if that clown "Doc" is the next CSAF!!! Currently at BIKF shaking my head at all the "Combat" programs he has started, none of which has anything to do with actual combat.

Right on. We had to endure that BS at Lakenheath, and the idiocy of it all just blew me away. We were pulling flyers from the schedule for 1700-0000 "Combat Nighthawk" tours so we could go see how the rest of the base functioned at night (chow hall, hospital, cop shack). WTFO? How about pulling some of those dudes over to the Ops Squadron and showing them how we do business? The one program that would have actually been a true "Combat" program was the one he didn't have.

Originally posted by Bergman:

("We actually schedule physically bigger people to fly with him...because he won't listen to IPs and they have to overpower him on the controls")

I'll do you one better. "Doc" decided he wanted to fly a Strike Eagle about a year back. He didn't want a ride in the pit, he wanted to fly it. And why shouldn't he? Granted, we send guys through a year-long FTU and make them take months of academics and sims before they can climb into the front seat, but by golly he's a general and he can't be bothered with that, so he should be able to take a couple hours of academics and have a instructor in the back with him.

I swear, it was like the Emperor's New Clothes - everybody from the IP who was chosen to fly in his pit to the SQ/CC and OG/CC said it was a bad idea, but nobody threw down the bullshit flag to stop it. Can you imagine what would happen if something went wrong?

Safety Investigation Board - "WTF was a non-qualified Viper pilot doing in the front seat?"

Us - "Uh, well he's a General and he wanted to."

SIB - "Really? All of you from the SQ/DO up to the WG/CC are fired and will be replaced by snackos since they seem to have more common sense."

Originally posted by MajorMadMax:

By the way, in case some of you don't know who Doc is, here's a pic...

Outstanding. Put on a flight suit that's about three sizes too big and makes him look even more like a decrepit old man and you've got a spitting image of Doc.

Wow...if it was anyone but Doc I wouldn't believe the story! But with that dude anything is possible.

When someone with that much flight experience does something that stupid, it really makes us all look like a bunch of clowns. Not to sound like my dad, but he should know better! What if something happened...EP, bird strike, etc. Just plain stupid.

Glad to see he's still setting a great example for all the commanders (or everyone for that matter) that work for him.