Tattoo rules and regs

Guest AF2ANG

I am an enlisted Marine Corps C-130 Nav. I have a couple (not excessive) tattoos. One is prominent on my forearm. I am a couple of months shy of my B.S. and working on my private pilots license. Would this prohibit me from becoming an Officer or of getting a pilot slot in the ANG, AFRES, or as an Army reserve WO? Any thoughts on which would be the best route to take?

Appreciate any help.

*BTW wutz up Riddler

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AirGuardian

Since I do fly, and I have a few of these body art thingmajigs on myself. I will concur with Drewpey, that the no greater than 25% of the exposed body part may be covered is correct... Hand art has been an issue lately and I've seen a few with and a few who were not allowed to enter...unsure if those who had it signed up before the latest reg became law?

Also, no nose/tongue ornamentation may be worn during work hours. Split tongues are becoming evident and new regulations are being drafted/or have been already.

No body art will be exposed around the neck areas or face as well when seen in uniform.

*If you have exceeded any of these markings criteria you may be eligible for a life long tour in Thoule Greenland shoveling snow during duty hours only, w/Parka, Baclava, Gloves, Snow pants, Boots, Glasses, etc.......OR GET LASER SURGERY IF YOUR SERIOUS ENUFF! what commitment, tougher coming off the skin than initially on I hear! Goodluck! :D

Guest CAVOK

No split tongues at all.

Can't see daylight through an ear pierce.

If tattoo has has anything offensive, racial, etc, -- no go.

If it is of a naked woman, you can either have it removed, or have a swim suit tattooed on her.

Tan makeup does not fit the bill.

If it's of a naked guy, then "GO NAVY"...you will enjoy it there!

CAVOK

• 2 months later...
Guest pavesooner

140 AFI36-2903 29 SEPTEMBER 2002

NOTES:

1. Members who intentionally alter or modify any part of their bodies in order to achieve a visible, physical effect that disfigures, deforms or otherwise detracts from a professional military image may be subject to disciplinary action or involuntary separation, as determined appropriate by the member’s commander. Examples of prohibited conduct include (but are not limited to) tongue splitting or forking, tooth filing and acquiring visible, disfiguring skin implants.

2. Installation or higher commanders may impose more restrictive standards for tattoos and body ornament, on or off duty, in those locations where Air Force-wide standards may not be adequate to address cultural sensitivities (e.g.; overseas) or mission requirements (e.g.; basic training environments). 3. Members who receive tattoos/brands not meeting the standards are required to initiate tattoos/brands removal at their own expense (may not use Air Force Medical Centers for removal) upon notification by their Commander. Members not complying with these requirements will be subject to disciplinary action for failure to comply with Air Force Standards and may be involuntarily separated 4. There may be situations where the commander can restrict the wear of non-visible body ornaments. Those situations would include any body ornamentation that interferes with the performance of the member’s military duties. The factors to be evaluated in making this determination include, but are not limited 3 Body Piercing In Uniform: Members are prohibited from attaching, affixing or displaying objects, articles, jewelry or ornamentation to or through the ear, nose, tongue or any exposed

body part (includes visible through the uniform). EXCEPTION: Women are authorized to wear one small spherical, conservative, diamond, gold, white pearl or silver pierced or clip earring per earlobe. Matching earrings must be worn and should fit tightly without extending below the earlobe. (EXCEPTION: Connecting band on clip earrings)

Civilian Attire: (1) Official Duty: Members are prohibited from attaching, affixing or displaying objects, articles, jewelry or ornamentation to or through the ear, nose, tongue or any exposed body part (includes visible through clothing). EXCEPTION: Women are authorized to wear one small spherical, conservative, diamond, gold, white pearl or silver pierced or clip earring per earlobe. Matching earrings must be worn and should fit tightly without extending below the earlobe. (EXCEPTION: Connecting band on clip earrings) (See notes 2 and 4).

(2) Off Duty on a military installation: Members are prohibited from attaching, affixing or displaying objects, articles, jewelry or ornamentation to or through the ear, nose, tongue or any exposed body part (includes visible through clothing). Piercing of earlobes by women is allowed, but should not be extreme or excessive. The type and style of earrings worn by women on a military installation should be conservative and kept within sensible limits. Failure to observe these mandatory provisions and prohibitions by active duty Air Force members, USAFR members on active duty or inactive duty for training and ANG members in Federal service is a violation of Article 92, Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ). (See notes 2 and 4)

ITEM AB

To present the Proper military image will be

AFI36-2903 29 SEPTEMBER 2002 141

to: impairs the safe and effective operation of weapons, military equipment or machinery; poses a health or safety hazard to the wearer or others; or interferes with the proper wear of special or protective clothing or equipment (EXAMPLE: helmets, flack jackets, flight suits, camouflaged uniforms, gas masks, wet suits and crash rescue equipment).

• 4 months later...

Okay, if this is a completely asinine question, I'll apologize in advance. (Which I believe it quite possibly may be, but I need to ask the question)

My roommate told me that if you have a tattoo of any country's flag that you can have a hard time getting a TS clearance. This is to include a tattoo of the American flag, so she says. She had a friend with a tatt of the German flag and the word "Deutch" and supposedly, according to my roommate, she was unable to get a TS clearance. Any truth to this?

Thanks.

Michaela

Yes it is OK to have a tattoo when it comes to getting your clearance. I have clearances out the wazzo and never has anyone asked about a tattoo. The SF86, the Security Clearance Questionaire, does not ask about tattoos. Air Force Instruction 36-2903 only prohibits tattoos/brands anywhere on the body that are obscene, advocate sexual, racial, ethnic, or religious discrimination are prohibited in and out of uniform. Tattoos/brands that are prejudicial to good order and discipline, or of a nature that tends to bring discredit upon the Air Force are prohibited in and out of uniform. Excessive tattoos/brands will not be exposed or visible (includes visible through the uniform) while in uniform. Full gouge here, or let me know if you need a softcopy of the AFI.

Hope that helps...

Cheers! M2

I went through SERE with a buddy that had the SC state flag tattooed on his shoulder. He went to the Citadel, go figure...

The only problem he ever had was during the intial search during the resistance phase. One of the instructors thought he was Islamic due to the silver cresent part of the state flag. Mild confusion, but the worst I've ever heard of due to a tattoo.

Guest croftfam

Kind of on topic, but in the opposite direction. Anyone ever gotten one removed? I got mine while in a phase, I still think it's a tough looking tat, but I'm now I've got a 3 year old son and a 1 year old daughter and I'm not too stoked on the idea that my kids can now say, "Well, you have a tattoo, so I got one." Now I'm toying with the idea of getting it removed before they are too old. If anyone has ever gotten one removed or knows of anyone who has, I'd appreciate some gouge. Can you still see a faint outline after it's "removed"?

AFI 36-2903 (Dress and Appearance) (right click and 'save as')

AFI Table 2.5. Body Physical Appearance Modification Standards.

Item 2

Depending on the circumstances, commanders may seek Air Force medical support for voluntary tattoo removal.
Also, just FYI, Table 2.5

Unauthorized (content): Tattoos/Brands anywhere on the body that are obscene, advocate sexual, racial, ethnic, or religious discrimination are prohibited in and out of uniform. Tattoos/brands that are prejudicial to good order and discipline, or of a nature that tends to bring discredit upon the Air Force are prohibited in and out of uniform. Inappropriate (military image): Excessive tattoos/brands will not be exposed or visible (includes visible through the uniform) while in uniform. Excessive defined as any tattoo/brands that exceed ¼ of the exposed body part and those above the collarbone and readily visible when wearing an open collar uniform. Failure to observe these mandatory provisions and prohibitions by active duty Air Force members, USAFR members on active duty or inactive duty for training and ANG members in Federal service, is a violation of Article 92, Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ). (See notes 1, 2, 3 and 4).
Cheers! M2

• 3 months later...
Guest Birdie

What do I have to do to get a tattoo and not be disenrolled from AFROTC and not have any problems later on active duty? My Det. Commander stated that his policy on tattoos was that he does not want to see them, but I think that was intended for those who already have a tattoo, and I wanted to get the scoop before I destroy my career chances.

What I want may be visivle in a short sleeve shirt, but definitely not in a long sleeve shirt. So I don't see a problem with keeping it covered in ROTC, but will that work for active duty? Thanks

Guest Sebastian

Here are the regs:

Excessive tattoos/brands will not be exposed or visible (includes visible through the uniform) while in uniform. Excessive is defined as any tattoo/brands that exceed ¼ of the exposed body part and those above the collarbone and readily visible when wearing an open collar uniform.

Members will not be allowed to display excessive tattoos that would detract from an appropriate professional image while in uniform. Commanders will use the above guidelines in determining appropriate military image and acceptability of tattoos displayed by members in uniform. Air Force members with existing tattoos not meeting an acceptable military image should be required to:

maintain complete coverage of the tattoos using current uniforms items (e.g. long-sleeved shirt/blouse, pants/slacks, dark hosiery, etc.) or

volunteer to remove tattoos(s).

Members who receive tattoos/brands not meeting the standards after the effective date of this policy (1998) are required to initiate tattoos/brands removal upon notification by their Commander at their own expense (may not use Air Force Medical Centers for removal). Members not complying with these requirements will be subject to disciplinary action for failure to comply with Air Force Standards and may be involuntarily separated.

Originally posted by Sebastian:

Commanders will use the above guidelines in determining appropriate military image and acceptability of tattoos displayed by members in uniform.

Watch out with what you say...they're not regs, but rather, GUIDELINES with commanders. I've heard some pretty viscious stories about tats and commanders who don't like them...I'd say be careful with whatever ink you want done.

If I were you I would wait until you get on active duty, or if you get it while in ROTC, get it in a location where it can NOT be seen while in any uniform (including pt's).

Why risk pissing of your commander with a tatoo and risking a bad eval and low ranking. If you are serious about joining the AF, waiting on a tatoo should be no big deal.

[ 03. January 2006, 10:55: Message edited by: ce2be ]

Guest Flight

I have two, one of which is on my wrist. I had them before I started ROTC. The only time I have caught shit for the visible one was at FT. Just make sure it doesn't cover over 1/3 of the body part you put it on and you'll be ok. The only people I've heard having a REAL problem with tats are the old timers. Just make sure you ain't getting something racial or anti-american and I bet you'll never have a problem.

Guest Dactyl

IIRC at one time our commander has us putting bandaids over our tats, which made things look even more rediculus because then people would show up to PT with gigantic bandages on their calves, necks, arms, etc..

Like it's been stated.. guidelines are very vauge. I got mine on my shoulderblade so I'll never have to worry about it. Plus the skin will probly never wrinkle there and I dont have to worry about the eagle turning into an albatross or some crap when I'm 60.

[ 03. January 2006, 21:11: Message edited by: Dactyl ]

Guest AirGuardian

I have a few, but I'd still wait until you get those Gold bars before you start stamping anything significant within view.

Not in plain view means keep it to yourself... Your physical and other requirements if you fly will eventually put them on the map so there's no real way to hide'm... Just be wary on what you get..

I only adhere to the less than 25 percent of the exposed area rule...

Question in the end - what's more important RIGHT NOW???

• 3 months later...
Guest bargiel20

As a pilot, is there a limit on how many tattoos you can have over your entire body, or just the exposed in uniform areas. I want to be a pilot and I don't want some tattoo ruining it for me.

Guest viper24

GUIDELINE is the key word, as stated before. FWIW, I have 3 tats. One is around my calf and exposed while in PTs. When I was at FT, I didnt have to cover it but while I was a CTA I did. Its all about whose in charge and thier preference.

If its no more than 25% of the body part and not in bad tatse, go for it. Shouldnt be a prob. If you are still not sure, go and ask your PAS.

• 3 years later...

Thread revival and question. Anyone know if there are any issues with being on flying status and getting a new tattoo. Specifically, does it require any DNIF time or will it have any affect on deploying until certain number of weeks after getting one?

Thread revival and question. Anyone know if there are any issues with being on flying status and getting a new tattoo. Specifically, does it require any DNIF time or will it have any affect on deploying until certain number of weeks after getting one?

I flew the next day, didn't think anything of it. The site was a little sore, but nothing I couldn't ignore.

I got out of the marine corps pretty much sleaved on my left arm and took a little grief in OTS and some ribbing in UPT but pretty much as long as it's not obscene or offensive, your good to go. . .since i've entered the AF i think they have cracked down on visible ones so i wouldnt get on on your neck or anything crazy like that. . I have had some shoe clerks bust my balls at the dirty a few times too but you know how that goes. . .

• 5 months later...

Anyone have the reg for this? Seems pretty dumb. Also the news article seems to confuse "anywhere on the right arm" and "visible in uniform." If there was a prohibition of tattoos anywhere on the saluting arm there would be a ton of people DQ'd. Losing 15 recruits a week...that seems sensible...

Anyone have the reg for this? Seems pretty dumb. Also the news article seems to confuse "anywhere on the right arm" and "visible in uniform." If there was a prohibition of tattoos anywhere on the saluting arm there would be a ton of people DQ'd. Losing 15 recruits a week...that seems sensible...

i asked about this today to an recent ex-recruiter bro of mine and he made a call and was able to get a hold of this memo sent out referencing tattoos. :nob:

PGM140 - Tattoos.doc

Thread revival, just saw this while browsing the news.

Seriously? At least the AF has their priorities straight:

1. Reflective Belts

2. Tucked in PT gear

3. Changing fitness rules

4. Changing uniforms every 4 months

5. Tattoos

6. The mission

http://www.news10.net/news/story.aspx?storyid=71077&catid=2

Does anybody else see the irony in this guy's tattoo? Why would you have your "family name" of SANCHEZ tattooed as a Japanese character on your arm? Must be all those Sanchez's running around in Tokyo.